Owner number in GSAK

ASlug

Actually, there is...IF you own a cache, and it has been added to your GSAK database by PQ.

Go to Tools->Options->Display tab. Scroll down and click the Owners ID box. Column will show up with all the cache owners ID #'s.

Find yours.

Go back and uncheck the box if you dont need that column.

So does the number literally show how many users have signed up or is there region codes etc that make the number larger?

My number is a little under 1.1 million.......wondering if they're that many users on geocaching.com.

Jim

So does the number literally show how many users have signed up or is there region codes etc that make the number larger?

My number is a little under 1.1 million.......wondering if they're that many users on geocaching.com.

Jim

Sock puppet accounts galore exist on the site along with old names of cachers who have had to change their name the hard way. But ~1.1 million is how many accounts HAVE been created so it's somewhat significant.

Makes sense. Does the site keep any records of "active" accounts? Say that have logged finds or responded in a thread in the last 3 months.

Would be interesting to know how many active geocachers are out there.

Thats a trade secret and Jeremy will not give it out.

Trade secret.......hmmmmm......and who would benefit to our detriment if this were known?

I've sniffed around for other sites regarding placed geocaches and this site is the 800 # gorilla. There's just not much else out there.

Trade secret.......hmmmmm......and who would benefit to our detriment if this were known?

I've sniffed around for other sites regarding placed geocaches and this site is the 800 # gorilla. There's just not much else out there.

Let's say it came out that there were 750,000 active geocachers on the site. A company with resources could see this and figure that that's a market that is large enough to try to steal.

Let's say it came out that there were 750,000 active geocachers on the site. A company with resources could see this and figure that that's a market that is large enough to try to steal.

I doubt this would happen. There are already niche competitors that haven't made much of a dent.

I doubt this would happen. There are already niche competitors that haven't made much of a dent.
That's why I posted 'A company with resources...'

Of course, whether or not it would actually happen is moot. It could happen, so it's best to play it safe and not put the data out there.

Makes sense. Does the site keep any records of "active" accounts? Say that have logged finds or responded in a thread in the last 3 months.

Would be interesting to know how many active geocachers are out there.

A while back, I did a very small sampling and estimated that approximately 26% of accounts have been logged into in the past six months.

That would come out to be ~286,000 active users out ~1.1 million accounts created.

Just testing...

Crud. I was hoping this thread wouldn't go there.

There is a 178 page thread here (pinned at the top of the Getting Started thread) for people to test.

Seems that the original post has been answered and since test posts are leaking in here, I'll have to shut this down.

Others can continue their discussion of Geocaching.com's practice of keeping numbers secret in a new thread on the General Geocaching board (or the Geocaching.com website board).