Pre-emptive CITO

froldt

A number of local caches have lots of brand new goodies. So new that they're still in the package. For some things, this is great! Like my whistle, for instance, I like knowing that I got it fresh out of the package. For others, like yoyo's, the packaging does nothing (to me, at least) to add to it's value.

At one cache, the packaging for a trade item was sitting on the ground beside the cache, the contents had been traded. It may have been a simple over-look by the cacher who opened and left it. However...

If the original contents had been placed without the packaging, this issue would not have come up. I try to unwrap everything I place in my caches, if the packaging does not add to it's value/appeal. This way I know it will end up in the trash, without having to pick it up again at a later date while out caching.

We could go a step further and say do not leave a cache there because a future visitor might leave their trash behind.

If i leave a new item in most all instances i will leave the packaging. The next person is trading for a new item, they might like it in the packaging. I would want it in the packaging.

I am also a big supporter of CITO and get angry when i see a cache with obvious trash there that has been there for a while while over a hundred cachers have visited this spot. I think many more do not CITO than i had thought before.