Geocaches On The South West Coast Path Porthleven To The Lizard

Hi,

I am very lucky to work in education and have the summer off. We spend 5 weeks down in Cornwall every year and this year is no exception :D

On Sat 25th August I am doing a charity walk in aid of RNLI and Macmillian nurses, walking the South West Coast Path from Porthleven to The Lizard and here is my question

Is there an easy way to find Geocaches on my route?

Also which are the 'must' do caches in Cornwall?

I would be extremely grateful for any help

Thank you

Edited by The McKnifficent 6

download Google earth, then go to google earth through GC.com....

All the caches will magically appear, and you can zoom in on your chosen area!!

Other method relies on you having Memory map... but then if you had MM, you'd know how to do it!

Hi,

I am very lucky to work in education and have the summer off. We spend 5 weeks down in Cornwall every year and this year is no exception :D

On Sat 25th August I am doing a charity walk in aid of RNLI and Macmillian nurses, walking the South West Coast Path from Porthleven to The Lizard and here is my question

Thank you

I can help with your mapping - look at your PMs

Great walks down there, I'm from Falmouth and my parents still live there; I often go walking along the coast when I visit

You haven't mentioned whether you'll be caching on your own or with mini-cachers in tow, but this is one with a great view, suitable for all the family - 360 degree View. If you like ancient sites, try Ben's Walk and discover a fougou.

There's a good, level walk out to the Logan Rock cache, although the last 20ft to find the box may be a bit of a scramble. Fantastic views from this one westward across the bay towards the Minack Theatre and it's a great walk (30-40mins?) if you want to make a circular walk over to Porthcurno. There's another small cache on Minack Point (I won't mention which one :mad: It'll be re-enabled by the end of this month :D ) and then you can catch a bus back to Treen, which is the parking spot for the Logan Rock cache.

If you're feeling really adventurous, try Don't Look Down II! . We haven't attempted it yet, but I'd like to.

Lamorna is another pleasant coastal walk from a lovely little cove where you could also do Cornish Cove Cache (which has a White Jeep parked in it at present).

Just a small selection of ones we've done in the far west corner :mad:

MrsB

Edited by The Blorenges
On Sat 25th August I am doing a charity walk in aid of RNLI and Macmillian nurses, walking the South West Coast Path from Porthleven to The Lizard

Enjoy your walk. We started walking the path from Minehead last year and will be doing the Westward Ho! to Tintagel section at the end of this month. I have noted a few caches on the section we are doing but will really only be looking for "walk-bys" (rather than drive-bys). Last year we did about three on the approach into Ilfracombe but it's amazing how much time they took up even though they didn't take too long to find. I haven't checked how long the section you are doing is but my advice, for what it is worth, is don't be over ambitious on the cache front. For me it's a walking holiday and any caches are a bonus.

Thank you all for your wonderful replies - another follow on question about memory mapping -I hadn't heard of it before.

If at a later stage we were to buy memory map, how do they show the Geocaches in your chosen area?

Also is there a recommended site to buy memory map?

Thanks once again

Angie

x

Edited by The McKnifficent 6

Thank you all for your wonderful replies - another follow on question about memory mapping -I hadn't heard of it before.

If at a later stage we were to buy memory map, how do they show the Geocaches in your chosen area?

Also is there a recommended site to buy memory map?

Thanks once again

Angie

x

Full details here

It is a bit pricey - but you can get the previous version (the maps get updated annually, something to do with the OS licence) at half price usually from official sellers on ebay. You can also get second hand copies from ebay for around £20 per region

The version of MM is linked to a particular year's mapping, although there are ways around it

If you cache widely and often it works out cheaper than the usual OS maps

There are alternatives like Anquet and fugawi

You can import overlays of waypoints, so all you need is a waypoint manager like GSAK that can be fed loc files, or PQ downloads of gpx files (different formats, but both have the lat/long data) from geocaching.com and then export memory map csv files and bob's your uncle

Edit:typo

Edited by macroderma

Have printed these ones off

Angie

x

You haven't mentioned whether you'll be caching on your own or with mini-cachers in tow, but this is one with a great view, suitable for all the family - 360 degree View. If you like ancient sites, try Ben's Walk and discover a fougou.

There's a good, level walk out to the Logan Rock cache, although the last 20ft to find the box may be a bit of a scramble. Fantastic views from this one westward across the bay towards the Minack Theatre and it's a great walk (30-40mins?) if you want to make a circular walk over to Porthcurno. There's another small cache on Minack Point (I won't mention which one :D It'll be re-enabled by the end of this month :D ) and then you can catch a bus back to Treen, which is the parking spot for the Logan Rock cache.

If you're feeling really adventurous, try Don't Look Down II! . We haven't attempted it yet, but I'd like to.

Lamorna is another pleasant coastal walk from a lovely little cove where you could also do Cornish Cove Cache (which has a White Jeep parked in it at present).

Just a small selection of ones we've done in the far west corner :mad:

MrsB

Hi,

I am very lucky to work in education and have the summer off. We spend 5 weeks down in Cornwall every year and this year is no exception :)

Thank you

Hi,

I am very lucky to work in education and have the summer off. We spend 5 weeks down in Cornwall every year and this year is no exception :)

Thank you

Edited by cornishpixies

There are five caches on the coastal route that you plan to do. Two have already been mentioned "Asparagus anyone" & "Wireless Communication" which was placed by us - a nice easy micro to find :)

The other three caches are "Porthleven View" & "Got a Light Boy - Lizard Lighthouse" & "Lizard Point"

Some other caches in the Lizard area are Almost up the Creak, Cadgwith Cove, St.Grade Ruan Church, Wreck & Rescue 2, Down The Valley, Giants Quoits, View of Fraggle Rock 2. These are a few we intend to do ourselves when we visit our family this summer.

Some other caches which we enjoyed are Lamorna Cove, Cornish Cove Cache, Logans Rock.

Hope this gives you a few ideas :)