My New Geocoin Case

islander1988

When I was at GW5 I was impressed by the plastic cases TSD had for carrying his series of personal coins, and I thought something like that would be better than the ziplocks of coins in cardboard boxes I was using at home. With the rush of things waiting for me when I got home though I never took time to look around for something similar. Then almost two weeks ago I was at an annual flea market fundraiser near my parents' place, and I came across a small metal case.

case.jpg

When I opened it up and looked inside I saw it had low dividers full of slots, and I thought to myself, "those look just about the right size...". I got it, took it home, and when I tested it I was happy to find the size could have hardly been much better.

caseSlots.jpg

caseRow.jpg

So, I now have a cool little metal carrying case for transporting and keeping track of some of my personal coin series.

caseOpen.jpg

When I showed up at a coffee & cache gathering with it, someone asked where the handcuffs to attach it to my wrist were. <_<

But, my main reason for posting is I'm wondering if anyone knows what this case actually is for. It's the perfect size for geocoins (I wish I had one or two more of them), but I find it hard to think it was made for holding coin flips. I found it in the computer hardware & software section of the sale, but it could be that the organizers didn't know what it was either & figured that area was as good as another. Does anyone recognize this type of case or have a guess what it was really made to hold?

Hmmmm......looks similar to cases that hold 35mm slides. The ones I am thinking of are old. Don't see much of that anymore in the digital age.

Holding a regular coin flip here and it does seem similar in size to a 35mm slide.

Edit to add: Great minds. We all thought the same thing at the same time.

So guess it is a slide case. <_<:(:)

Edited by GPX Navigators

Cool. I didn't expect an answer so quick! Maybe it won't be so hard to find more (though they won't be as cheap as the one I have).

And yes Mike, I ran out of room in the case before I ran out of GeoTags in my boxes. A second case should hold the rest. At least until I do a reorder. <_<

I was thinking along the same lines.. but check these cases out... I picked up a few of these cases at the local Hardware store chain (Menards) -

It is a 26 Compartment Organizer and is made by Stanley:

StanleyContainer.jpg

The compartment dividers are removable (except for the locking divider in the front middle), and I found them pretty inexpensive (under $10 ea.). They hold about 300-350 coins!

~J

You can find a lot of the plastic type containers in crafts stores and Joanns Fabrics. They are used to hold little cards of cross stitch threads.

You can get them pretty cheap because if you check the websites for Joannes, ac moores or michaels, you can get a 40% off coupon.

Edited by Degai

I was thinking along the same lines.. but check these cases out... I picked up a few of these cases at the local Hardware store chain (Menards) -

StanleyContainer.jpg

The compartment dividers are removable (except for the locking divider in the front middle), and I found them pretty inexpensive (under $10 ea.). They hold about 300-350 coins!

~J

I saw these at GW and was IMPRESSED. Lockable, too!

You can find a lot of the plastic type containers in crafts stores and Joanns Fabrics. They are used to hold little cards of cross stitch threads.

You can get them pretty cheap because if you check the websites for Joannes, ac moores or michaels, you can get a 40% off coupon.

Hobby Lobby has those floss organizers, too and very often puts everything in a department for 40-50% off and does 40% coupons, as well. I think the cases that CinemaBoxers have are the best bang for the buck - and here I've been scouring garage sales and Goodwill for zippered notebooks! :) I may change my mind and get the cases.

StanleyContainer.jpg

~J

And they certainly are lighter even will filled with coins than the 35 mm slide cases :blink:

My coins are in a binder in the plastic sheets. I have some plastic sleeves that have 2 inch square pockets and hold 20 coins, and I have some sleeves that have 9 trading card or baseball card sized pockets which I use for the larger 2 inch coins that don't fit in the small pockets. I use a clear packing tape to seal off the top of the pockets so the coins dont fall out. My collection is small (I only have 4 pages of coins in my binder), but I like that it is easy to see the front and back of the coins without taking them out of a box. They are all taped in and all in one place so I dont have to worry about keeping track of individual coins, just the binder itself.