Google Earth

Newfie Couple

It can be done, many have done it.

I suspect you just need more experience in looking for "things hidden in plain sight". Try looking for caches rated as a 1 difficulty and larger containers for your first few.

GE can be quite a bit off in some areas (up to several hundred feet!) but the truth is that a GPSr will only get you within about 20 feet typically as well.

if you copy and paste the cache coordinates from the info page to GE, and live in an area of hi-res maps, you can get some caches with GE only.

Not easy, but it can be done.

I'd print the description and hint out and take along with me.

(try looking under the lamp post skirts at the publix ones.)

Oh yay, they are other people without GPS!

We've just started as well, and haven't gotten a unit yet. Our town must be too small, because GE can't zoom close on it. Instead, we use the link to GoogleMap as well, and that gives you a good idea. Also, read the hints and previous logs (we figure its fair, as you're at a disadvantage without the GPS). You may still end up with a pretty big area to search, though. So far, we've found 3 out of 7 searches, but after re-reading the logs we think we know where two of the missed ones are. <_<

My husband and I found our first cache without a GPSr just fine using the link to the Google Map on the cache details page. I can see where this would get you places if you know the area well enough to orient yourself and go poking around. There's no way we could have found some of them without the use of our new GPS. If you're looking to purchase one, there are plenty for cheap out there that will get the job done, so I'm told or you can go to eBay and buy one from Edge GPS Inc. they're super nice, got a good deal ($150 less than Amazon and MSRP), and they ship really quick. Geocaching has given my husband and I the great opportunity to seek and find some wonderful places in the Rochester area that we never would have known were there otherwise (we've been here for about a year). Happy caching however you do it!

Steph <_<

Yeah, I geocache from time to time and I do not use a GPS, nor do I own one. I've only gone to places around me that I know the area though. It's more fun this way; I feel like a real pirate, hunting treasure. I bring a map, directions, and a compass. YAR!

...Google Earth varies from a little off to way off.

The .klm file (geocache symbols or push pins depending on your level of zoom) is designed to bounce around, but if you copy the coordinates from the cache page to GE then you get the right coordinates.

click and drag across the coordinates on the cache page

Control C to copy it

Control V in the "fly to" box on GE (right next to the magnifying glass)

Enter and then zoom in more.

example.jpg

you can see the icon is a bit off - in fact it was across the 4-lane highway at first.

but the crosshairs point to the cache (if the coordinates of the user are right.)