Holiday in Devon

Hi all.

We are comming to Devon, Paignton to be exact, for a few days holiday & we was wondering if any of you can tell us of any "Must Do" caches in the area to be done.

We have done a "poscode" search and have found absolutly loads in the area so we thought this may be a good way to wittle down the numbers.

We are a family of 4 with the youngest being 5 so 10 mile hikes are a big no no :rolleyes: Other than that most things are possible.

Look forward to hearing your suggestions.

Chris

Hia

I just spent a long weekend in Paignton with my youngest Tinkerbell who is 8 years old. We both thoroughly enjoyed caching there and introduced my best friend and her husband to it. There are a few quicky caches which we liked and they were all in really nice areas that were either scenic or near the beach. Even though Tinkerbell loves caching she loves the beach too so she didnt have to spend long looking for the cache so that she got more time on the beach :rolleyes:

1 of our favourite caches was a Virtual called 'Face it, youre stumped!' by Stuey. No cache box but Tinkerbell enjoyed the counting and the object that the cache was centered around.

The area caters for all caching tastes we found: woods, parks, cliff path walks, beach walks, prom walks, cache and dashes, churches and local areas of interests and fun tongue in cheek caches. We did a mixture and look forward to going back in Tinkerbells Summer holidays for a week or two to do more caching there. I noticed that there are a cluster of caches and trig points along the coastal path which we aim to cover over a weekend. That way we get the walking and scenery we enjoy but we get to see places of interest such as Babbacombe Cliff Railway and the Minuture Village as well as pick up caches and trigs.

The Torbay Landmarks are really nice caches and I noticed when I came back the cache owner is still adding to them :unsure:

Hope this helps and enjoy what Paignton has to offer. :unsure:

Hi,

I've drawn up a list of 18 caches below which may help, there should be some in there for most tastes, scenic views, places to visit, local history, entertainment value for the kids (of ALL ages :unsure: ).

This list may well miss out many worthy caches (sorry lordhutton, you only got one in the list) ... and you may well notice that modesty did not stand in the way of compiling the list :rolleyes: .

If you want to e-mail me (via my profile) and let me know a bit more about the types of cache you like, how much of a challenge, how far from Paignton, how many caches in the list, etc., I'll refine and expand the list for you.

Paul (PaulluaP)

Cockington Woods by PurplePenguin (GCJHJ0)

Occombe Woods by PaulluaP (GC11X0G)

Oldway Mansion - Torbay Landmarks No.1 by PaulluaP (GC12QCJ)

Fairy Cove by calibri (GCQPD9)

Shorton Valley Travel Bug Hostel by PaulluaP (GC12FD8)

MeadTor by Zykan (GC135NF)

A Stroll Along The Prom by PaulluaP (GC12Y46)

Daddy Hole (Devon) by Bill D (wwh) & Maz62 (GCMCK7)

* Babbacombe Cliff Railway by calibri (GCPTM4)

* The man they could not HANG by calibri (GCPTKZ)

Farty Owls by calibri (GCQN0H)

Brunel Woods by calibri (GCT8PH)

Bishops Walk by calibri (GCNFMK)

Fishermans Cove by calibri (GCPPVX)

Twixt Church and Mill Pond by Katellim (GC135W4)

Berry Head - Torbay Landmarks No.5 by PaulluaP and Katellim (GC12VR9)

Teign Harbour by Wadders (GCJPRA)

Up Bow Creek by lordhutton (GCJD0E)

* These two should be done together - it's a long way down the hill and even further back up :unsure:

Hi all.

We are comming to Devon, Paignton to be exact, for a few days holiday & we was wondering if any of you can tell us of any "Must Do" caches in the area to be done.

Look forward to hearing your suggestions.

<purely selfish>

At some point you will no doubt be going right past my Virtual cache (Face it, you're stumped) which is slap bang in the middle of Paignton. You can't miss it, it's dead easy, and quick, and (I think) a teency weency bit interesting. I wouldn't go too far out of my way for it though... Virtual = no swaps for kids.

</purely selfish>

Have a nice holiday! if you are coming down the M5, try for the M5 J24 Motorway Mayhem cache (Tireless Search). It's a little bit different, and quick and easy too.

Edited by Stuey

If you go to Dartmoor - take lots of insect repellant...

Everyone who went to Carry on camping are nursing bites galore!!

You COULD have a go at the Underworld series - I'm much too much of a wimp for it - but lots did them and had a belting time!

Right, thanks Vanya1 looks like we are on the same wavelength.

Paullaup thats brill will check out your suggestions and PM you if needed

Lordelph looks good, "moss" just informed me she wont be doing that <_< & I guess its a no no for the girls too. Thnaks anyway

Stuey couldnt not try it its right smack bang in the middle of where we are staying

Kinkykimbo Yep hope to take a trip to Dartmoor any caches you recomend there? Both me & Moss have visited Devon a few times but never together and never since we have found caching.

HazelS Thanks for the tip.... Is there much of a Tick problem there too? perhaps Pengy&Tigger have thier own repelent :(:)

Ok head to Dartmoor and go to Haytor, it will be busy there as its a popular place but there is plenty of parking, an information centre and a great ice-cream van for the kids.

Have a look at the Haytor views and Tramways and walkways series. These a all traditionals and fairly easy. There is also a great earth-cache on the top of Haytor put out by Davy Boy its a great excuse to walk to the top and admire the views. Hope you have a good holiday, sont forget to come back to the forum after and let us all know how you get on. Good luck.