topo or city select for geocaching?

That depends on how you cache and use your GPS. If you don't venture far from the road, and especially if your GPS autoroutes, then street maps are the way to go. If you like to get out in the woods or feel you don't need street maps then Topo is a good choice. Obviously the best choice is both if you can afford it.

In your opinion, which is the better choice of mapping software for your Garmin and why?

I think that if you geocache in an area where your terrain is for the most part flat, (assuming that you are going to do more than street/road caching) meaning that you will venture onto the usual trails and such in the woods, then yes the city mapping is a better. If you live in a rural area with alot of ridge's and rougher terrain to walk then the topo is nice. I use both, one to get the closest to it by road and the topo to look at my walk in to see whether or not I can avoid the steep climbs. My area is alot of very steep mountains here in north/central and north/eastern PA.