Artist Edition

Renegade Knight

Since this is being beat around the geocoin lexicon thread. I'm not sure what the Artist Edition is:

Right now there are some signs that it's just a sample.

However it also appears that somtimes the artist is neither the person commisioning the coin and not with the coin making company and they sometimes receive coins for their work. Those coins sometimes have different colors or finish. When they are different those appear to be what some are calling the Artist Edition.

But I'm not sure.

As said in the other thread, an Artist Edition is given to the Artist. It is ordered for them, generally as payment for their coin design. The artist usually chooses a metal that is not sold, and might do colors that are not sold. They are generally trackable if the run of the coin is trackable. These are not done in the sample stage, they are done when the rest of the run is in production.

A sample is having a few coins minted in several metals and finishes to see which one works the best for the regular run. Sometimes these are given to the artist, but they aren't trackable. And they aren't artist editions, they are samples of how the die will look, which metal works best, etc.

An Artist Edition is not a sample, and a sample is not an artist edition.

I should let the artists answer this, but Im pretty sure it is just a edition that only the artist posess. I have seen them basically the same as the regular, but in a metal that is only avail in the AE or in a color only avail. in a AE. There may be other differences also and my guess is that its up to the artist as to what their AE differences will be.

I have also heard of the artist being payed with these AE's for their design. And would assume that Artist that produce coins would also have some minted as well...if they wanted.

Real example.

I designed the Geolicious coin that CoinSwag produced. I turn I was given a qty of the coin in a finish and enamel of my choice.

I picked copper with some glitter, so they are different than the others produced. I am the only one who was given these.

Same type of thing was done on the Scouting coin I did for Coins and Pins. I was given antique silver which was not a production finish.

In both cases these were not in the samples either, they are trackable just like any other sold. Just made in limited qualities making them potentionaly worth more.

As said in the other thread, an Artist Edition is given to the Artist. It is ordered for them, generally as payment for their coin design. The artist usually chooses a metal that is not sold, and might do colors that are not sold. They are generally trackable if the run of the coin is trackable. These are not done in the sample stage, they are done when the rest of the run is in production.

A sample is having a few coins minted in several metals and finishes to see which one works the best for the regular run. Sometimes these are given to the artist, but they aren't trackable. And they aren't artist editions, they are samples of how the die will look, which metal works best, etc.

An Artist Edition is not a sample, and a sample is not an artist edition.

Joni has hit is dead on. Here are a couple examples:

AE_WIYM_comparesm.jpg

AE_GCCApril.jpg

Unfortunately I do not generally buy the production coins that I have designed so I don't have much to compare. But you can see each of the finished Artist Edition coins I have on my blog linked below.

I think Jake said it best in the other thread:

AE: Commonly referred to as the Artist's Edition. More that likely these coins are the original proofs that the artist received. They will be a unique set of coins, with different finishes and metals. They will also not include tracking numbers, even if other editions of the coin are trackable. The purpose of these coins was to display the coin concept in various metals and finishes.

But of course, just with anything there will be varying opinions on what an AE coin is and people will produce an AE coin based on their own perception. In the end though, it really is only another LE version of the coin no matter what people decide to call it.

AE: Commonly referred to as the Artist's Edition. More that likely these coins are the original proofs that the artist received. They will be a unique set of coins, with different finishes and metals. They will also not include tracking numbers, even if other editions of the coin are trackable. The purpose of these coins was to display the coin concept in various metals and finishes.

But of course, just with anything there will be varying opinions on what an AE coin is and people will produce an AE coin based on their own perception. In the end though, it really is only another LE version of the coin no matter what people decide to call it.

Those are called samples. They should be done with most coins produced. Whereas an artist edition is given to the designer of the coin and would be trackable if the run is trackable.

Edited by MustangJoni

Those are called samples. They should be done with most coins produced. Whereas an artist edition is given to the designer of the coin and would be trackable if the run is trackable.

Actually, the initial coins of various metals and finishes would be proofs.

Samples would be a set of coins that a dealer keeps on hand of the different coins they have produced.

Artist Edition would be any set of coins the artist receives for pament for the design. These may or may not vary from the other editions.

Edit: added further AE explaination.

Edited by Jake - Team A.I.

Samples would be a set of coins that a dealer keeps on hand of the different coins they have produced.

Samples Proofs, either way, the above definition is wrong. An Artist Edition coin is NOT an original PROOF, geeze you called it a proof yourself!

Proofs are a pre-production sample of your coin, in various metals.

Actually, I've been to a couple of websites that define a coin proof as a higher quality coin that is minted especially for coin collectors. And most of them have a mirror finish.

My two cents is that Artist Editions or Minters Editions are simply LE or XLE versions of the same coin, only available initially to a small group of people (perhaps one person). They should be labeled as such "LE Black Nickel 8 produced", etc. AE just muddies the water, obviously B)

I would call it a type of LE, EXCEPT it is originally only available from one person.

My two cents is that Artist Editions or Minters Editions are simply LE or XLE versions of the same coin, only available initially to a small group of people (perhaps one person). They should be labeled as such "LE Black Nickel 8 produced", etc. AE just muddies the water, obviously B)

I would call it a type of LE, EXCEPT it is originally only available from one person.

YES....lets stop here, question asked and answered.

Thanks Mike :lol: They contain all the properties of a full run coin (i.e. tracking numbers, same dies, etc), simply limited in quantity and reach.

Thanks Mike :) They contain all the properties of a full run coin (i.e. tracking numbers, same dies, etc), simply limited in quantity and reach.

Actually that's not always true either. AE are sometimes simply an LE like stated above. However, they are not always trackable. For example: I have AEs that are trackable in a LE metal. I have AEs that are not trackable but are laser engraved with my name instead. I also have LEs that are "sets" or more specifically a combo pack including 1 original coin and a matching AE edition with a shared tracking number similar to a TB where the AE stays in your collection but the standard edition can be set loose to roam the world (think Tools of the Trade but with two different metals and color schemes). For these reasons and others the AE is a monster all it's own and the "LE" just doesn't quite cut the mustard. :lol:

edit to add a note: LEs are often actually available to the public, but in smaller numbers, while AEs are only available through the artist.

Edited by fox-and-the-hound

...Artist Edition would be any set of coins the artist receives for pament for the design. These may or may not vary from the other editions...

I can see a concencus developing in this thread.

One question though. If the AE doesn't vary from the regular coin, then it seems like it really wouldn't be an AE so much as a regular coin.

...Artist Edition would be any set of coins the artist receives for pament for the design. These may or may not vary from the other editions...

I can see a concencus developing in this thread.

One question though. If the AE doesn't vary from the regular coin, then it seems like it really wouldn't be an AE so much as a regular coin.

The problem here is that people are answering this question who may not even really know the answer. How about asking the Artists which coins are their Artist Edition coins and what makes them an Artist Edition coin. As I've already stated several times, all my Artist Edition coins are different from the regular production coins. I'll start from the beginning here, and maybe this will help.

May 2006 GeoSwag coin and Pin Club So this is a Geocoin or "Cent" coin. Regular production was antique bronze the Artist Edition 30 of them were made in Antique Silver. These were split between the two designers and the vendor.

GeoSwag coin and pin club Night Caching. Regular production was on shiny gold. Artist Edition 30 produced on Shiny Nickel. These weresplit between the 2 designers and the vendor.

October 2006 V W Geocoin Racers These came in 4 production colors; orange, blue, green and yellow all on black nickel, 1000 were made. Artist Edition: 16 black on shiny nickel, 16 purple on shiny nickel, 2 of each production color on shiny nickel only given to me.

Cache Hiker. Regular production was black nickel, I believe 500 were produced. Artist Edition was 15 on shiny nickel only given to me.

Cacher on Board. Regular production was on both Shiny Nickel and Shiny gold, with the BIG difference being a white enamel background behind the car. Artist Edition 30 Antique Silver coins only given to me.

What's in your mailbox V.1 Regular production was on both Shiny Nickel and Shiny Gold and features a BLUE outer ring and BLUE mailbox. Artist Edition 30 coins on Shiny Gold with a RED outer ring and RED mailbox, only given to me.

April 2007 GCC Eat, Meet & Greet. Regular Edition was Shiny Nickel. Artist Editions were 15 Black Nickel and 15 Antique Copper only given to me.

Aside from AE's I also receive samples usually with UOBrae on them, non trackable.

I encourage other Artists to further explain what makes coins Artist Editions to them and hopefully this will be understood.

It's still nothing but a LE to which someone is adding another name.

The only way it would be a AE would be in a case like the 2005 PA coin where there were only enough coins minted for the people who were behind the coin itself. If you have coins made to trade or sell then they are LE.

An AE coin would be a single coin for each person in the process. Once you have more coins than people involved, it becomes a LE.

I disagree...

An Artist Edition is a metal, color, or finish reserved for the person who did the art/design for the coin.

It is a Limited Artist Edition Coin. Meaning:

Limited - Only a few made.

Artist Edition - Only available from the artist, as they were made specifically FOR this person.

I love artist edition coins - they are a blast, and allow me to have something a little unique!

Like a LE, but Different.

I disagree...

An Artist Edition is a metal, color, or finish reserved for the person who did the art/design for the coin.

It is a Limited Artist Edition Coin. Meaning:

Limited - Only a few made.

Artist Edition - Only available from the artist, as they were made specifically FOR this person.

I love artist edition coins - they are a blast, and allow me to have something a little unique!

Like a LE, but Different.

This is one of those things that will probably never be clearly defined because it is open to too much interpertation. The artists will proclaim it being something so they have something unique and different to trade. Most others I have spoken with feel it is nothing more than a LE, and I agree. i do feel there are AE coins out there, but anything produced, regardless of whom they are intended for, and are produced in a limited quantity are a LE to me. The only things I consider a AE is the coins where there is one per person behind the coin. Now that is an exclusive coin.

But everyone behind the coin isnt the artist... The artist is the person who does the art. I define an AE as a version of the coin usually used as payment/gift for the person who designed it.

Its just a little different... a limited edition specifically created for the Artist. (Hence, Artist Edition)

But everyone behind the coin isnt the artist... The artist is the person who does the art. I define an AE as a version of the coin usually used as payment/gift for the person who designed it.

Its just a little different... a limited edition specifically created for the Artist. (Hence, Artist Edition)

And everyone receiving the coin isn't the artist so it is no longer an artist's coin, but rather a LE given to someone to make trades with. How you got the coins doesn't define the type of coin. The number made has always been the criteria to defining the coin edition.

The portion of your text that I highlighted goes to show why this can't be defined fully. It is open to anyone's opinion. Unlike a standard edition and a LE which are pretty cut and dry, this is something that is viewed differently by opinion, and usually by whether it is the artist or the collector who is doing the viewing.

And everyone receiving the coin isn't the artist so it is no longer an artist's coin, but rather a LE given to someone to make trades with. How you got the coins doesn't define the type of coin. The number made has always been the criteria to defining the coin edition.

The portion of your text that I highlighted goes to show why this can't be defined fully. It is open to anyone's opinion. Unlike a standard edition and a LE which are pretty cut and dry, this is something that is viewed differently by opinion, and usually by whether it is the artist or the collector who is doing the viewing.

Deleted .

Edited by UOTrackers

Um... ok. I dont personally see how that changes the meaning....

BUT - I think to be more specific on my own behalf, I think an Artist Edition is clearly defined as a coin version only available from the artist who designed the coin. It may be limited, it may not be, but its a version ONLY the artist has to trade, or sell.

But the purpose of this thread, I think, is to define the term. Since the term in question is Artist edition, it should only be defined by Artists.

That sounds kind of elitist.

So people who spend their money to finance these editions should just keep their mouths shut? I thought this was something the community would decide, not a few self appointed artists.

Maybe first we should define artist. Is it someone who does everything with clip art or someone who draws freely?

Edited by pghlooking

But the purpose of this thread, I think, is to define the term. Since the term in question is Artist edition, it should only be defined by Artists.

That sounds kind of elitist.

yep you got me before I re-read it and deleted it. Agreed. So perhaps the term should be Artist's Edition? Either way it's still a coin that ONLY Artists get, and ONLY Artists can do with as they please (in most cases as I have mentioned earlier some of my AE's the vendor kept). Just because they trade or sell it doesn't change the fact of how it came to be.

not a few self appointed artists.

Maybe first we should define artist. Is it someone who does everything with clip art or someone who draws freely?

I think you are bordering on pot shots here. This thread and the other are to define terms, not jobs. What one person perceives as art, another may not, I think it's best to leave art in the eye of the beholder and be done with that.

Edited by UOTrackers

It's not a pot shot at all. Even you state that art is in the eye of the beholder. You stated the artists were the ones to determine what defines an AE, so I am asking what defines an artist. if someone comes up with the idea and the coin, like I did on GeoJellies, does that make me the artist? Or do I have to be the one to put pen to paper to be the artist. If that is the case, does that mean anyone who uses clip art for all their coin are not artists since they drew nothing.

My point is you are bordering on the undefineable when dealing with art and artists, so how can you determine who is able to determine the title. You can't. Leave it as a LE like it's been for years. t was never broke so why are we trying to fix it?

Artist is the person who draws the initial concept - some use clip art, some use reference photos, some, well... dont, and hand draw 90% of whats used.

No matter... still the artist.

If you use clip art to put something together, aren't you really just using someone else's art? I wouldn't consider that an artist. But then we are back to disagreeing, and that's OK.

Artist is the person who draws the initial concept - some use clip art, some use reference photos, some, well... dont, and hand draw 90% of whats used.

No matter... still the artist.

If you use clip art to put something together, aren't you really just using someone else's art? I wouldn't consider that an artist. But then we are back to disagreeing, and that's OK.

I wouldnt be able to tell you my opinion on that one - I dont get into that. With some 3D coins, I see the need for reference photos, etc.

Ive been an artist my entire life, and usually use all my own work.

Look familiar?

SB-1.jpg

Its the painting my Run For The Roses was done from.... I painted this several years ago.

I also do wildlife

PencilDeer.jpg

So... I guess I dont understand why someone using clip art would make them any less of a coin designer.

I see alot of clip art used... and its simply personal preference. I prefer to draw most designs myself, as I think most designers do, BUT sometimes when you are doing a design for someone else, they send you specific art to work from. Sometimes clip art, sometimes not.

But, IMO that topic is altogether unrelated to the one at hand... and you'd have to email those artists specifically to ask their own personal opinions.

Leave it as a LE like it's been for years. It was never broke so why are we trying to fix it?

Because an Artist Edition is more than a Limited Edition BECAUSE it is only offered to the Artist! Once the Artist has it they can do with it as they please, the only way it will be offered to anyone else is second hand (or third, or fourth etc.) but the Original possessor is the Artist. It's meant to be special, more special than a LE that anyone quick enough to order can get. This in itself sets it apart from the rest. That should be enough to give it it's own definition.

At this point it's already been defined as something other than LE, so it's no longer a debate. It's an Artist Edition,now it needs to be defined. So go with the facts and put opinions and feelings aside.

FACT: It is given to the Artist.

FACT: The Artist decides what to do with it at that point.

Leave it as a LE like it's been for years. It was never broke so why are we trying to fix it?

Because an Artist Edition is more than a Limited Edition BECAUSE it is only offered to the Artist! Once the Artist has it they can do with it as they please, the only way it will be offered to anyone else is second hand (or third, or fourth etc.) but the Original possessor is the Artist. It's meant to be special, more special than a LE that anyone quick enough to order can get. This in itself sets it apart from the rest. That should be enough to give it it's own definition.

At this point it's already been defined as something other than LE, so it's no longer a debate. It's an Artist Edition,now it needs to be defined. So go with the facts and put opinions and feelings aside.

You are still trying to define a coin by who gets it rather than the number minted which is how things have been done since the begining. AE was never a term at the begining, and I can't tell you when it started so don't ask me. I don't claim to know that. I do know it has become a rather common term amongst a few people, but that doesn't consitute it being an actual thing.

As for already being defined as something other than a LE, I disagree. Defined by who? This is your claim. What makes your opinion any more right than mine? Since the begining they were simply called LE, so shouldn't we stick with that?

I think this link would best describe what this thread is now about... :rolleyes:

<Link that had nothing to do with defining art removed by moderator, this is a family friendly forum>

Are you for real? You seriously can't have a mature adult debate about something we disagree about without taking to that level? I disagree with your position and am making valid points. This isn't about forcing you to change your mind. I know you won't any more than I am going to. But at the same time I feel you are entitled to your opinion and are free to express it here. You on the other hand aren't getting your way and have to resort to that? I have remained completely on topic and do believe what I am saying as you probably believe what you are saying. Guess what, we can disagree. It's OK. Talk about taking their ball and going home for not getting their way.

Edited by Eartha

You are still trying to define a coin by who gets it rather than the number minted which is how things have been done since the begining. AE was never a term at the begining, and I can't tell you when it started so don't ask me. I don't claim to know that. I do know it has become a rather common term amongst a few people, but that doesn't consitute it being an actual thing.

As for already being defined as something other than a LE, I disagree. Defined by who? This is your claim. What makes your opinion any more right than mine? Since the begining they were simply called LE, so shouldn't we stick with that?

If it hasn't already been defined as something else than why is there a separate listing on the new Terms thread, why is there even a debate, it's because there are people who call it something other than a LE. According to the other thread, the current list of Terms has an AE as AE: Artists Edition. A version only made available to the designer of the coin. Generally a different metal finish, different colors, etc.

Are you for real? You seriously can't have a mature adult debate about something we disagree about without taking to that level? I disagree with your position and am making valid points. This isn't about forcing you to change your mind. I know you won't any more than I am going to. But at the same time I feel you are entitled to your opinion and are free to express it here. You on the other hand aren't getting your way and have to resort to that? I have remained completely on topic and do believe what I am saying as you probably believe what you are saying. Guess what, we can disagree. It's OK. Talk about taking their ball and going home for not getting their way.

Problem is, you haven't provided any valid points. You argue with poor logic and use examples which are at best flimsy semantics.

AE are coins provided to the artist. it says nothing about what the artist does with them. Sad to see that some points can't be driven in with less than a 2x4...

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

LOL No.. thats not it. Its my version of having a sense of humor.

The topic is about Artist EDITIONS, not the definition of ARTIST!

I see the topic turning into a debate - which OPINIONS are not up for.

My opinion is MY opinion, as is yours, but I refuse to debate art with you, or what makes an artist.

There are alot of coins out there, even popular ones done from clip art, and some lovely entirely original ones. But.. thats not the point of this thread.

The intent was to discuss WHAT Artist Edition means, which, we have all contributed - now, we are expected to answer what we feel defines an artist!?!?!?

Sorry, but its turned into exactly what I posted.

My position on Artist Editions was duly noted. And I stand by it.

You can have your opinion, but the generally held belief, and the TERM is defined as:

A different edition created for the artist/designer of a particular coin.

You can have your opinion, but the generally held belief, and the TERM is defined as:

This is where I disagree the most. I do not believe it is the generally held belief. I think some of the more vocal people here have stated this, but it's not about who screams the loudest. Just because the majority of people here tend to remain quiet doesn't make the people posting the majority.

To each their own I guess. I still don't recognize them being any different than a LE.

I'll take one LE and one AE please :rolleyes:

I think this come down to semantics. Is there a differance yes, is there a coin differance yes , are they both Limited Editions yes again.

The LE is usualy sold to the public at one point from the coin house. The AE is provided to the artist for trade or sale do to there input in the coin one way or another, be it clip art of hand drawings whatever it happens to be that brings the coin / concept to life, hence they are not available through the same channels, are they unattainable no certinaly not. Are they desired ? That's in the eye of the beholder. We all have differances in taste in a coin finish. Maybe the "one" we "personaly" seek may be that version that was not commercialy for sale.

I take no sides except the "coin" finish I collector may have a eye on as a welcome addition to my collection.

I think the only available from "one person" part is interesting as a definition to this as aren't a lot of coins only available from one person to start (or one company for that fact).

I would say a special 1 coin makes an artist edition (given to said artist), anything more is just another LE.

Problem is, you haven't provided any valid points. You argue with poor logic and use examples which are at best flimsy semantics.

AE are coins provided to the artist. it says nothing about what the artist does with them. Sad to see that some points can't be driven in with less than a 2x4...

Would you consider the coins you get for free from C&P Personal Editions?

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=162952

The LE is usualy sold to the public at one point from the coin house. The AE is provided to the artist for trade or sale do to there input in the coin one way or another, be it clip art of hand drawings whatever it happens to be that brings the coin / concept to life, hence they are not available through the same channels, are they unattainable no certinaly not. Are they desired ? That's in the eye of the beholder. We all have differances in taste in a coin finish. Maybe the "one" we "personaly" seek may be that version that was not commercialy for sale.

When I think of an 'AE' I think of the person who came up with the concept getting a limited number of coins for the idea. This could also be in lieu of payment.

Been away a while so let me comment on a few things:

But then we are back to disagreeing, and that's OK.

This is key. It's ok to disagree, just keep it civil. Just because you don't agree with somebody doesn't mean that you have to attack them, or feel attacked.

I agree with this.

Actually, this is all about opinions. The term has not been defined. A few people have used it so I included it, but my definition is by no means law. This is open to debate which means that people are going to have opinions. All are welcome.

LOL No.. thats not it. Its my version of having a sense of humor.

The topic is about Artist EDITIONS, not the definition of ARTIST!

I see the topic turning into a debate - which OPINIONS are not up for.

I disagree. Debates are often about opinions, as is this one. If there were a simple place to get a 100% true definition than I wouldn't have opened a thread to DISCUSS the definitions, I would have just posted it as "law". :rolleyes:

So, keep debating (nicely) until a consensus is reached.

FWIW - I agree that an Artist Edition is a subset of an LE. Made available ONLY to the Artist/designer/producer of the coin with the quantity being small, but not a firm number.

Very interesting discussion! Personally, I would classify Artists Edition coin as being a type of LE coin, usually reserved for the artists and designers behind a coin, and often used in lieu of payment.

It is most definately distinct from LE and deserving of it's own classification.