How do I use the send to my GPS button?

scorpionkill

It will work with your GPSr, but since you can download the .gpx file, open it in GSAK, if you use that program, then send that waypoint to your GPSr in the format you specify in GSAK, you might not find it that useful. I understand it is sent with the GC code into the Waypoints folder, not the Geocache folder.

Maybe that has been changed now . . . B)

Try it and report back. You can be the guinea pig.

I did try it. Says only supports Garmin Units, which I have. Not sure what else needs to be done. Your answer doesn't help me.

You need to download a plugin from Garmin for your web browser. It works with Explorer & Firefox supposedly, but only works with Windows XP (maybe Vista... anyone chime in on this?) There's supposed to be Mac support coming soon. Anyone heard about support for earlier versions of Windows or Linux?

Try it and report back. You can be the guinea pig.

I did try it. Says only supports Garmin Units, which I have. Not sure what else needs to be done. Your answer doesn't help me.

You need to download a plugin from Garmin for your web browser. It works with Explorer & Firefox supposedly, but only works with Windows XP (maybe Vista... anyone chime in on this?) There's supposed to be Mac support coming soon. Anyone heard about support for earlier versions of Windows or Linux?

Yep...works fine with vista.

I played with it for a friend and it failed to work for me with the latest version of Firefox. Others have reported that it works fine with Firefox. <shrug>

I tried it with IE for him since that's what he uses anyway. It sent the cache with the GC number and appeared to send the LOC info. For myself, if I'm just grabbing info on a new cache rather than doing a PQ, I just click on the GPX button and send it to GSAK and, from there to my GPSr. It takes very little time and I get the info formatted the way I like it.

For non-premium members this new feature probably rocks. For me, it's just an extra and unused button on the cache page.

Edited by Thrak

I got the plug-in, etc and got it to work fine. However, when I checked the coordinates that were saved in the waypoint, they were different to what was actually listed, by a small margin. For example, I was looking at GC10BZB and sent it to my Etrex. The saved coordinates were S 27° 35.628 E 151° 55.016 yet those on the cache page were S 27° 35.533 E 151° 55.080. Does anyone know why there is a difference? :D

Sorry if this has been dealt with in a previous post but I couldn't find it in the forum and this was the closest topic I saw.

Tabmow68

I got the plug-in, etc and got it to work fine. However, when I checked the coordinates that were saved in the waypoint, they were different to what was actually listed, by a small margin. For example, I was looking at GC10BZB and sent it to my Etrex. The saved coordinates were S 27° 35.628 E 151° 55.016 yet those on the cache page were S 27° 35.533 E 151° 55.080. Does anyone know why there is a difference? :D

Sorry if this has been dealt with in a previous post but I couldn't find it in the forum and this was the closest topic I saw.

Tabmow68

Tab

I just came to the forum to ask about the same thing. I am a total newbie, haven't found a cache yet but this is something I am doing to do with my 9 yr old daughter this summer and since I am trying to learn the gps unit this threw me for a loop. I am using a etrex legend. What are you using?

I got the plug-in, etc and got it to work fine. However, when I checked the coordinates that were saved in the waypoint, they were different to what was actually listed, by a small margin. For example, I was looking at GC10BZB and sent it to my Etrex. The saved coordinates were S 27° 35.628 E 151° 55.016 yet those on the cache page were S 27° 35.533 E 151° 55.080. Does anyone know why there is a difference? :)

Tabmow68

I just looked at those numbers . . . YIKES. That isn't a simple "rounding off" error, and it would be tough finding a cache when you are that far away from GZ. :)

Since I haven't used the new "feature," I don't know why those numbers would be so different unless you do not have your GPSr set for the correct Map Datum. Make sure that the GPSr datum is set to WGS84. If it is set to NAD27 or some other datum, the location may be tens to a couple of hundred feet off from GZ for the cache.

I tested one to my Zumo, and the coordinates transferred were exactly the same as those listed on the cache page. I'm using Firefox 2.0.0.4 and XP. When I initially installed the plug in, I had to close all my Firefox windows and restart Firefox for the plug in to work.

But as others have said, I would probably download the cache info to my PC and load it that way. But this does provide a quick and easy method for some users.

I'm sure the GC number is the only practical one to use.

That is why I spend the extra 30 seconds to download the .gpx file, open it in GSAK, right click the cache in GSAK, and use the "Send to GPSr now" option. That way it goes into my GPSr with the "smart name" I use for all my cache waypointes.