garmin 60csx

venz

Hi, im new to gps and geocaching and have just bought a garmin gpsmap 60csx. It seems that when it draws a track on the map that it is slightly off. for example driving along a road it shows that im slightly paralell to the road and standing on the shore the trail drawn shows that i was slightly in the lake. Am i doing something wrong, or is there a way to correct this?

thank you for any suggestions!

I'm guessing that you're only using the basemap, and you haven't uploaded detailed maps to the unit?

The map that comes built-in on the 60CSx isn't nearly as accurate as what you'll get with the optional maps, like City Navigator, etc.

The basemap is meant to be very basic, includes main highways and major lakes, etc., but isn't very reliable and is not very detailed. As a result, you could indeed appear to be standing in a lake on the map while you're on shore.

Hi, im new to gps and geocaching and have just bought a garmin gpsmap 60csx. It seems that when it draws a track on the map that it is slightly off. for example driving along a road it shows that im slightly paralell to the road and standing on the shore the trail drawn shows that i was slightly in the lake. Am i doing something wrong, or is there a way to correct this?

Do you have any maps installed or are you using just the basemap that came with the GPS. You can expect the basemap to be quite inaccurate.

WARNING to 60Cx and 60CSx owners!

Be careful your memory chips are properly aligned in the holder before turning on your unit!

I've just burned a spot in the translucent coating on the back of the LCD panel from the backlight.

Apparently the misaligned chip caused the backlight to burn too bright.

When I powered on the unit, all I could see was an orange glow in the lower center of the screen. Once I corrected the alignment of the chip the GPS unit powered up ok, however it had a clear spot where it had glowed, when the backlight was lit.

Although it is over a year old, Garmin has thankfully agreed to accept it as a warranty repair, and to expedite the repair to be within 5 days.

76Cs and 76CSx owners should not have this problem, as their memory chip holder is designed differently, and should prevent any misalignments.

Edited by GizmoGuy411