2007 British Columbia Geocoin

Landsharkz

LS200723_Coin%20Display_full.jpg

This is a 45mm x 3.5mm thickness coin in two-tone antique silver and polished nickel. It features 3D art of the Kinsol Trestle located in the Cowichan Valley on Vancouver Island. Tom Spetter from Cyan Design has created the First Nation and traditional wildlife side of the coin (a cougar) while Chris has created the 3D side. The coin is painted in a combination of imitation hard enamel and soft enamel.

This trestle is the largest railway trestle of its kind in the British Commonwealth! It is part of the Trans Canada Trail, but it has yet to be used as a link in the TC Trail because it is in a state of disrepair. At the end of the day, it's fate is in the hands of the BC government. We want to raise awareness of the Kinsol Trestle and its potential fate to be demolished.

In addition, our goal is for this coin to be a lasting memory of the original Kinsol Trestle, a historical jewel in the Cowichan Valley.

Using the new Geocoin Terminology this coin is:

OE: One Edition :)

Price: $9.00 CAD.

Not LE during 2007. This means we will mint as many as we need to during the year to make sure all requests are met. We won't mint it in 2008 because we'll have next year's coin. If anyone wants to know at the end of 2007 how many were minted, please ask.

IM: Initial Minting will be 500. Our goal is to have it in stock and for sale by Canada Day :)

Custom Prefix: BC of course :)

500 are shipping from the mint to us on June 29th. We should have these on July 2 or 3 and ready to ship shortly thereafter.

If we run out and the demand is still strong, we'll mint again quickly. Last year we sold 1000 in less than a month, so we fully anticipate needing more than our initial run this year. Our plan is to run out of them as 2007 comes to a close.

We have 5 colours we're going to be using on the outside ring between 2006 and 2010 :smile: .

Traderdell... please watch here to find out when they're on sale. We're not making a list except for folks who want to come by and pick them up in person... :smile: We've got one cacher coming from Alaska so far but the rest are BC'ers.

They look great! Is the shipping from Canada or from the United States? B)

Hmmm... Do you mean we offer to ship all US orders from Port Angeles, WA like we did with the Moustik, QJ and White Dragon last week. We took them to the US to ship domestically with a reduction in our US shipping rate.

I guess we could do that if y'all like it better :angry: We have some more coins coming up at the same time, so it could be worth the trip all around.

We have some more coins coming up at the same time,

And what's the estimated TIME these new coins will be available for sale? :angry:

I had to go check and see if it was in our gallery before I replied B) . It isn't in our gallery B) , but a very cool shaped personal coin will be arriving a couple of days before the BC Geocoin and we only have 100 of them I think. I was going to hold onto them and post them at the same time as the BC coin so folks only have to pay shipping once.

Yes, they're called a lot of things - puma, mountain lion and here we call them cougars.

A couple of years ago, a cougar made its way into the underground parking under the Empress Hotel downtown in the Inner Harbour. This is a grand hotel built by the CP Rail for their chain of CP hotels (Banff Springs and Le Chateau Frontenac, etc). Now when tourists ask if they should be watching out for cougars in the parks around town, we tell them the parks are usually fine.... it's the Empress Hotel where you've got to watch out for them! :P

I know of one local cacher who was stalked by two cougars on a local mountain :P;) (he won :P ) but they're not commonly seen on the geocaching circuit. We certainly hear about them being out n' about, but they seem to keep their distance from us :) .

Edited by Landsharkz