Geocoin terminology

What about adding error coins, since they sometimes come up?

Error Coin: A coin that has a minting defect which makes it different from other coins of the same type (e.g. missing enamel fill colour).

Oh, and let's not forget...

*SOLD OUT!*: Common attribute added by sellers to any coin on eBay (regardless of availability) in hopes of achieving a higher sale price. :unsure::rolleyes:

Is there going to be a term for mass produced commerical coins that are seemingly unlimited? I'm thinking of the ones like the FTF coins, 1000 finds coins, coins that are always for sale somewhere, etc.

All the others that are limited by some fashion whether it be available until sold out, or a certain date (end of 2007) or when an event is over or hockey season finishes :rolleyes: are all limited in some way.

Is there a different between a shiny silver and a shiny nickel, or is it just two words for the same thing?

They are certainly different... 'Silver' finish is available but it tarnishes so we prefer to use silver coloured nickel for a coin to avoid this.

Yes, indeed! And I bet that there are hundreds of coins that people think have a shiny silver finish, but it's really polished nickel finish. Other than through destructive chemistry, is there a way to tell the difference?

Ok, updated list for your discussion:

2D: The design consists of only raised and recessed metal features. Geocoins with a 2D designs often have colored enamels filled into the recessed metal areas in at least some portions of the design.

3D: The design has 3-dimensional features. Think of standard US currency coins -- all of these are 3D design on at least one side - usually the portrait. 3D designs are most often not covered with enamel.

AE: Artists Edition. A version only made available to the designer of the coin. Generally a different metal finish, different colors, etc.

Antique Finish: A finish applied to copper, gold, or silver to give it a darker look. This finish is used often to have the fine details in a coin stand out more clearly.

Custom Icon: When you activate the geocoin or log the geocoin as found or discovered, this is the special icon that shows up on your profile under the 'Trackables' tab. These are 32x32 GIF files that are unique to the coin or coin series. (Also often has a related 16x16 GIF that is used for Inventory lists)

Dipping: Taking an activated geocoin in your possession and dropping it into a cache when you find that cache followed immediately by retrieving the coin from that same cache. The coin can accumulate mileage this way and you can have a separate, personal travel log for comments about your caching adventures (spoilers, reminders of the hide style, photos, etc.) that you may not want to include on the cache log.

Epoxy: A clear over-coat on the surface of a coin. Epoxy is typically used to protect delicate features such as glitter, but it may also be applied just to give a smooth finish cover to a coin.

Finishes (See vendor websites for pictures)

(AB) - Antique Bronze

(AC) - Antique Copper

(AG) - Antique Gold

(AS) - Antique Silver

( B ) - Bronze

(BN) - Black Nickel

( C ) or (Cu) - Copper

(G) - Gold

(MG) - Misty Gold

(MN) - Misty Nickel

(MS) - Misty Silver

(N) - Nickel

(S) - Silver

(SG) - Satin Gold

(SN) - Satin Nickel

(SS) - Satin Silver

(TT) - Two Tone - any combo of the two of the above

Glow in the Dark: An enamel that is luminescent after being exposed to light.

Hard Enamel: (aka. Imitation Hard Enamel) A coloring option where the colors of the enamel colored areas on the coin are polished to be flush with the metal. This means the coin flat and has no texture in the places where the hard enamel was used.

HTF: Hard to Find - coins that are limited supply and high demand. Very desirable as collectors items.

LE: Limited Edition. Typically a differenet version (color, metal, etc.) than the Regular Edition. Produced in a limited quantity and usually not re-minted after the initial minting. Typically this is less than 20% of the total run of coins.

Micro: A geocoin that is smaller than ~1.25 inches in diameter. Generally recognized as a coin that would fit inside a 35mm film canister.

Personal: A geocoin that is produced or designed by an individual or team of geocachers and features that cacher's name somewhere prominent on the coin.

RE: Regular edition - The most common of the coin finishes released or a coin that is "widely available", which usually means a minting quantity of 100 or more. Typically this is 70% or more of the total run of coins.

Sample Coins: More that likely these coins are the original proofs that the artist received. They will be a unique set of coins, with different finishes and metals. They will also not include tracking numbers, even if other editions of the coin are trackable. The purpose of these coins was to display the coin concept in various metals and finishes.

Satin Finish: Like an unpolished finish, giving a foggy look to the metal.

SE: Special Edition. Typically a different version that the main run of coins. No limit on the number minted.

Soft Enamel: An colored enamel process where liquid enamel is put onto the coin, but does not completely fill the design. After curing, the resulting coin with colors but it still has texture where the raised metal areas are in the design.

UV Fluorescent: An enamel that is luminescent under UV light.

VHTF: Very Hard to Find

XLE: Extremely Limited Edition. Same as LE only more rare. Typically this is less than 10% of the total run of coins.

Cointest: a contest involving coins as prizes. Not to be confused with coin test, wherein a person bites down hard on the coin in order to determine if it's real gold.

For Finishes, what would be the abbreviations for CHROME and GUN?

Gun isn't the same as black nickel - it's more like a very dark "smoky" nickel

Chrome is not nickel or Silver

Quick Edit - Whoops spelling typo

Since this is a thread about terminology, then definitely GUN and CHROME should be included under the finish types. But I don't agree that they should be abbreviated like the other finish types often are. These are uncommon finishes, and should be always spelled out.

And, I'd like to add:

Geonick: Your geocaching.com username, often required for sellers who want to maintain an accurate list of who they have sold or traded with in the past.

Order or Sale: The process of providing your mailing information and payment arrangements for the promise of receiving a geocoin in the mail. A transaction being considered and Order or Sale should be only for cases where the seller has the coins in-hand and can ship them to the buyer in a reasonably short time frame, often 5-10 days or less.

Pre-Order: An order that you place for a coin before the coins are completed or available for distribution. Most often, a Pre-Order phase is done to gauge interest in how many of a regular edition coin is required to be minted. A Pre-Order will be converted into an actual Order and require payment at some point in the future, determined by the seller. Pre-Orders may or may not require payment at the time of placing the order. If payment is required when placing a Pre-Order, then it should be more properly called a Pre-Sale.

Pre-Sale: An order for a coin that you place and pay for before the coins are completed or available for distribution. Most often a Pre-Sale means that you will pay for some coins well in advance of having them mailed to you, possibly 8 to 12 weeks. The seller's responsibility in the cases of Pre-Sale are to keep the buyers updated every couple of weeks through the use of these forums on the status of the coins in the mint and any delays that may be encountered along the way. A Pre-Sale is often used as a way for the coin seller to help pay the up-front costs of getting a coin into the mint process when they seller does not otherwise have the funds to pay for an entire minting at one time.

Reservation: This is like a Pre-Order, but is often considered less binding in terms of the buyers intent to finally purchase a geocoin. Reservations may be rescinded or altered by the buyer before an actual order is confirmed.

I'm sure there's lots of discussion on these definitions, so have at it!

Is there going to be a term for mass produced commerical coins that are seemingly unlimited? I'm thinking of the ones like the FTF coins, 1000 finds coins, coins that are always for sale somewhere, etc.....

Kludge. Geocoins that defy classification by any knon geocoin catagory, and yet somehow are geoccoins as evidenced by the fact that geocachers buy them as geocoins.

Edited by Renegade Knight

Is there going to be a term for mass produced commerical coins that are seemingly unlimited? I'm thinking of the ones like the FTF coins, 1000 finds coins, coins that are always for sale somewhere, etc.....

Kludge. Geocoins that defy classification by any knon geocoin catagory, and yet somehow are geoccoins as evidenced by the fact that geocachers buy them as geocoins.

the ones that Landsharkz are referring to atleast have some relationship to geocaching. There are some coins out there that have Groundspeak tracking numbers, but no other value relating it to geocaching. Team coins are a representation of geocaching by way of a sig item, but there are coins that don't relate to caching or reflect a team. I think KLUDGE is a great term for them.

Secret Geocoin Missionaries - people (who remain anonymous) whom get a coin minted and then hide them in caches under their secret identity for people to find and evenly trade for. Examples of Secret Geocoin Missionaries include the Geocoin Secret Agent, the Geocoin Fairy, and the Geocoin Easter Bunny.

Renegade Gnomes - active little fellas that travel from cache to cache :P

VHTF --- very hard to find

HTF --- hard to find

not LE's, XLE's SXLE's and all other low minted coins are not considered HTF or VHTF. The above terms are reserved for older coins that are highly sought after, since demand determines want, not number minted.

edited to add bold

Edited by avroair

I've got another question for you. What determines if a coin is a geocoin? The non-trackables that is.

NON-trackables are more of a geocoin then "commercial" coins that are trackable and only sold for profit, especially when they are personal signature item coins (imo)

I've got another question for you. What determines if a coin is a geocoin? The non-trackables that is.

NON-trackables are more of a geocoin then "commercial" coins that are trackable and only sold for profit, especially when they are personal signature item coins (imo)

Personals are certainly more attractive in many people's eyes. I believe a coin is a geocoin when it is made for a geocaching purpose, examples: personal sig item, for an event etc.

Got a question:

In the "Fear No Cache" spin-cast geocoin thread, the Moop Along says:

No remints on Special Editions. That's just not fair . . .

In reading this thread (the terminology thread), my understanding of the difference between LE and SE is that while both are different than the standard edition of a coin, LEs are limited in number and won't be reminted while SEs are limited in number and are open to reminting.

Has the community consensus of what an SE is shifted so that it has the same meaning as LE? What about the vendors -- are you using "SE" synonymously with "LE" when you describe your coins?

This is a sincere inquiry -- as you may know, I'm working on a Buyer's Guide over at the Trackable Coins Wiki and I want to make sure that it reflects current consensus as accurately as possible. Thanks!

Edited to add: this is a very good thread and I think it should be pinned.

Edited by Jackalgirl

A few other terms that come to mind and haven't been mentioned yet:

Coin finish Pewter

Generic geocoin: geocoin without custom icon, for which the generic icon is used (also add 'generic icon'?)

Suncatcher coin: coin with seethrough effect

trade list

keepers/travellers

coin mission

I believe 'regular edition' means that in theory more coins can be minted of it indefinetely, while a (known) limted number is produced of LE, XLE (and SE?) coins

I also would dedicate a special entry to the Moun10Bike coins

Katja - kdv

My apologies for not begin clear. That statement reflects the geocoinstore policy on Members Only editions and Special Editions. Neither are reminted as an incentive to be a member. :laughing:

TMA

No apologies necessary -- what's happening here is that it looks like the GCC is calling the coins "SE" when they are in fact "LE" (by the definition of this terminology guide). I'm wondering if the general consesus of the community at large is that SE = LE, or if that's specific to GCC...

Never really thought about it, but you're right PGH, if it's one coin then I could see it being an AE, but when 10, 15, 20 are made it just because another LE or XLE.

Can I use this to quote in any thread I am speaking in? I need this for a blanket statement. In fact would you mind saying it a little louder so my wife can hear ya?

I dont agree with you at all!!!

an AE is strickly an Artist coin, an LE you can buy retail,, ,you cannot buy an AE retail,, meaning you cant goto a site and buy an Artist edition Coin,, in most cases you can only get an AE thru the artist thru a trade,, now they may sell you one but thats is not considered retail as they were never put on a site to buy.

no one other then the artist gets these coins, the full run of 10-25-50 or what ever is givin to the Artist as a payment for providing the art , to the store that is minting them,and paying for them usually the artist gets to see their coin come to life fully funded, by a store or site. the store keeps the profits from the coin and the Artist gets the FULL AE RUN of coins!! i.e Artist Edition.

suncatcher...areas translucent on the coin

my very own Chiro-Cache vlexxxxxlvhtf...now who's gutsy enough to ask?

ILYK

Vast limited edition extra extra extra extra extra extra limited very hard to find? ha!! :laughing:

Close...the actual production process is the most interesting part!

I dont agree with you at all!!!

an AE is strickly an Artist coin, an LE you can buy retail,, ,you cannot buy an AE retail,, meaning you cant goto a site and buy an Artist edition Coin,, in most cases you can only get an AE thru the artist thru a trade,, now they may sell you one but thats is not considered retail as they were never put on a site to buy.

no one other then the artist gets these coins, the full run of 10-25-50 or what ever is givin to the Artist as a payment for providing the art , to the store that is minting them,and paying for them usually the artist gets to see their coin come to life fully funded, by a store or site. the store keeps the profits from the coin and the Artist gets the FULL AE RUN of coins!! i.e Artist Edition.

I understand what you're saying; however, I have also seen coins sold in a store as "Artist's Edition", meaning "these are the colors that the artist specifically chose". For example, the Birka coin has an Artist's Edition that is on pre-sale at this very moment (it's the black & white version of Nenne's design).

Like the GCC's use of "Special Edition" in a "Limited Edition" fashion, it looks as if "Artist's Edition" can sometimes mean "special run of coins used to pay the artist" or "special run of coins provided only to the artist" or "special run of plating/color combos specifically identified by the artist as the Artist's Edition".

Which means that AE does not automatically mean that the coin was produced in limited quantities. Whether it should is, I think, a good question.

Here's another question - or, at least, a hypothetical situation:

Let's say I get paid, oh, 25 coins by Coinorama, who produces my 2009 Whamodyne Geocoin. I pick a special plating and this is given directly to me, with none going on sale. Okay, fair enough, that's my Artist's Edition of the 2009 Whamodyne.

But what if I turn around and sell those on my website or on eWeh? Does the act of me selling those coins turn these from AE Whamodynes to LEs or XLE Whamodynes?

Also, isthere (or should there be) a cutoff number in terms of what is and isn't an AE? If Coinorama makes 500 of the 2009 Whamodynes and pays me with 75 coins, and I choose to get them all in my special plating/color combo (that is not sold in the Coinorama web store), are they still AEs?

(Again, this is completely not meant in a sarcastic fashion -- I really want to know!)

Edited to add: Note to self -- design a 2009 Whamodyne Geocoin.

Edited by Jackalgirl

Cointest: a contest involving coins as prizes. Not to be confused with coin test, wherein a person bites down hard on the coin in order to determine if it's real gold.

LOL

I thought a coin test was when you bounce a coin off a newly made bed????

Sorry Eartha, I couldn't resist.

Thanx for the coin info. I really have learned something about editions!!!

Opalsns

Hi,

I do have a real question, I noticed coins that have an icon of just a round gold coin and just called personal geocoin, what are they, does anyone know???

Opalsns

Not the expert, here, but from what I learned from the minter of my coin - these are coins which carry the PC prefix of a tracking number........but enough were not minted and/or if there were enough minted the owner of the coin did not care to pay the extra for a "unique icon".

For Finishes, what would be the abbreviations for CHROME and GUN?

Gun isn't the same as black nickel - it's more like a very dark "smoky" nickel

Chrome is not nickel or Silver

Quick Edit - Whoops spelling typo

Since this is a thread about terminology, then definitely GUN and CHROME should be included under the finish types. But I don't agree that they should be abbreviated like the other finish types often are. These are uncommon finishes, and should be always spelled out.

And, I'd like to add:

Geonick: Your geocaching.com username, often required for sellers who want to maintain an accurate list of who they have sold or traded with in the past.

Order or Sale: The process of providing your mailing information and payment arrangements for the promise of receiving a geocoin in the mail. A transaction being considered and Order or Sale should be only for cases where the seller has the coins in-hand and can ship them to the buyer in a reasonably short time frame, often 5-10 days or less.

Pre-Order: An order that you place for a coin before the coins are completed or available for distribution. Most often, a Pre-Order phase is done to gauge interest in how many of a regular edition coin is required to be minted. A Pre-Order will be converted into an actual Order and require payment at some point in the future, determined by the seller. Pre-Orders may or may not require payment at the time of placing the order. If payment is required when placing a Pre-Order, then it should be more properly called a Pre-Sale.

Pre-Sale: An order for a coin that you place and pay for before the coins are completed or available for distribution. Most often a Pre-Sale means that you will pay for some coins well in advance of having them mailed to you, possibly 8 to 12 weeks. The seller's responsibility in the cases of Pre-Sale are to keep the buyers updated every couple of weeks through the use of these forums on the status of the coins in the mint and any delays that may be encountered along the way. A Pre-Sale is often used as a way for the coin seller to help pay the up-front costs of getting a coin into the mint process when they seller does not otherwise have the funds to pay for an entire minting at one time.

Reservation: This is like a Pre-Order, but is often considered less binding in terms of the buyers intent to finally purchase a geocoin. Reservations may be rescinded or altered by the buyer before an actual order is confirmed.

I'm sure there's lots of discussion on these definitions, so have at it!

I beleive the "Gun" finish you refer to is also sometimes called "Gun Metal" with a look very much like Hemetite? This could be abbreviated as "GM".

Proof geocoins are samples also and not trackable.

Not true. I have samples right now of the Masonic coin and they are completely trackable. AE is something someone came up with to try and get more cash out of everyone. It's nothing more than a LE, which has expanded into XLE and such once again to drive up prices. Call it a XLE or AE. They are both the same, one just sounds more prestigious.

I had my samples made as trackables too, not so that I could sell them for a bunch, but so that they would have a greater value when I give them as gifts. They do not cary the same Icon though.

As for the Fakes, I think "Coin Proxy" would be the best term.

hollora- its a good debate,, but in both cases ,the Artist had to say ok,, sell my coin and give me the cash or donate the cash or,,,something to that matter,, if the run is not strickly for the artiest , then imo its not an AE. you can call it what ever you want,, but an Artist Edition is strickly for the Artist. say if im having 3 styles and as the artist i pick all the colors of all the coins,, does that make them all AE's ? in the case i did not agree with , they said only one coin per person other wise its an LE. no! im not working 4-5-6 months on a design for 1 coin,as payment ,no way. so that s why i say "in most cases" the only way to get an AE is be the Artist, or trade the Artist, or buy from the Artist. If you want my AE coin you gotta go thru me,, and me only!! I'm not sure on anyone else ,,but ill be trading the minter my AE's to get some regluar minted editions,, as i dont have access to those with out trade or buys. even tho its my design. so thats why i feel like AE's are "strickly a thru the Artist coin. as the minter wont have access to my AE coin with out trading me for the regular editions. thx for the debate its been fun :laughing:

Hi

Reading this thread with quite some interest, and have two questions.

1) Would an XLE coin have the same icon as a RE coin (or an other edition type for that matter)?

2) Would lets say a Compass Rose Nocturnal 2008 coin have the same icon as a Compass Rose Nocturnal 2009 coin, when there were changes to the icon?