Geocaching Magicians

I've been doing magic full time for about 30 years now. I don't see a lot of cross over between magic and caching. It's very hard to get cache hunters to "watch my other hand" when I'm never around when they are.

Now, if you want tips on how to deceive the reviewers on ... What's that? What do you mean my hides have been unpublished! I was just having fun... But... But...

I've been doing magic full time for about 30 years now. I don't see a lot of cross over between magic and caching. It's very hard to get cache hunters to "watch my other hand" when I'm never around when they are.

Now, if you want tips on how to deceive the reviewers on ... What's that? What do you mean my hides have been unpublished! I was just having fun... But... But...

I'm watching you!

I have been doing magic for about 7 years. Not full time, but part time occasional paying gigs. I do Close up and strolling magic. Looking to do some busking in the future for fun.

Do any of the magic cachers go to Abbotts Get-Together? I will be there again this year and I was thinking of placing a cache that is magic themed in Colon, Michigan. Anyone want to help?

I'd love to hear about geocache hiding from professional or amateur magicians. That must include at least some of you. I know that you guys never tell your secrets, but I'm sure you have some hints that you can share.

This is what we have to look forward to on your next cache hide?? Great. Your's are tough enough without the use of magic.

You know, If I can just figure out how to perform the linking rings routine with .50 cal Ammo boxes..... :)

Or do you mean turning a micro into an ammo box? B)

I mean, are you looking for more of misdirection? I ended up looking for caches after a certain few people and come upon 15 or so trees at GZ with piled sticks and leaves at each one... :lol:

I'm watching you!

Oh! Good! An audience! Now watch closely... First I take this plain, ordinary ammo can in my left hand...

:rolleyes::unsure::unsure:

Ok.......this is hard to do but I am going to break character for a second. Those that know me in the real life know that I am a professional magician as well. I have a Christian Ministry and full stage show. I do stroll around, parties, and preform locally at a restaurant weekly.

I would love to show you all my stuff and website but it has my real face on it and....well....you know....I cannot do that. <_<

going back into character............

AmishHacker

I believe Johnny Vegas from the RCGDS group in Sacramento is an amatuer magician.

It is true. I was a professional magician for may years a long time ago, now it is mostly a hobby but I still do a paying show once in a while. I may start doing magic full time again. ;) I am not doing anything else, but all the practice at getting back up to speed. I still carry a deck of cards and some half dollars all the time, I got into the habit of always having cards and coins on me 40 years ago.

As the Jester said, there is not a lot of cross over, but having spent many years as a magician there are some caches that I have found because as well as they were camouflaged, they just were not done correctly. B)

Dgreno in Marin County Ca. is also a magician

Edited by JohnnyVegas

Here's one that I thought was clever but unfortunately never got around to finding before it was archived:

Watcher in the Woods

Since I never found it, I kind of have to guess what it was all about, but based on the logs, I think it used the well-known online pick-a-card card trick (for example, http://www.timwike.dircon.co.uk/card.html). I'll bet this cache was a lot of fun for kids and even for those adults who aren't familiar with the trick. It's all in the presentation, right? Imagine a "watcher in the woods" running ahead to the final and removing the card you selected at the first waypoint. I think kids at the right age would love it.

My opinion as a (very) amateurish magician is that the closest intersection between magic and one aspect of geocaching is probably engineering / disguising objects (in this case caches) to resemble everyday items when, in fact, they have a "special function" or "purpose". An example would be the humdrum payphone that secretly conceals a cache container until the proper code sequence is entered via the keypad.

I have seen a few basic magic props (e.g. hollow coins) used in caches, but they are far and few and have not held up well in terms of weather or muggling.

Hope it helps.