FSM coin

The moderators "owe" us a geocoin because THEY moderate the forums?.... huh? :unsure:

#1) They volunteer their time, ability and effort to keep the forums in line.

#2) They have to listen to everybody whine to them when they feel like they have been mistreated.

#3) They have to take complaints and abuse from geocachers all over the world

#4) They have to, for the most part, keep their own personal opinions to themselves when posting, and keep it "strictly business"

#5) They have to be the "bad guys" and ban you when you can't follow the rules.

So explain to me again how they owe US anything? Nobody here owes anyone else here ANYTHING! So I guess the reviewers owe you a geocoin because you hid a cache? OH and I guess you deserve a Lackey since you log your finds on geocaching.com too huh?

If you think the moderators around here owe you something.... then I think you owe ME for wasting my time reading that! :) So get busy minting your own geocoin and send it to me, I'll be waiting and I had better not have to wait long either!

Edit: Spelling

Volunteer, yes, thanks for doing a largely thankless duty. "HAVE to" <____>, no. The mods made a decision to do this, they don't HAVE to do this.

As far as owing the community something, IMHO I believe the individual who mentioned that statement was simply pointing out that unlike the mods alter ego coin (or any commercial coin) the individual can do as they wish with the entire process but because the mods are representatives of Groundspeak they should maybe consider going the extra distance to accomodate the community when/if they produce a coin because they are the first face of Groundspeak and by extension the first impression of Groundspeak that most people will encounter. And it appears this is being considered in this case. Of course I could be mistaken and the person could have meant something entirely different. I have been wrong before and will be wrong again. Anyway, I am glad I am not clamouring around the mosh pit for this coin, it sounds bloody :) but I am happy for you that it is selling well.

Edited by Jay Mills

I happen to be one of the lucky ones and bought one FSM in each metal. I would love to make someones day by making a trade. I will not place mine on ebay as I would just rebuy geocoins anyway. I would be willing to see what trades people have to offer. Please e-mail and I will chose from the offers on Saturday. The winning trader can pick which metal of FSM geocoin they like.

Thank you for any offers,

Mr.Explorer3

I would throw in an extra micro Idaho silver if the trade were for a Raine, lackey, or such geocoin.

The moderators "owe" us a geocoin because THEY moderate the forums?.... huh? :P

#1) They volunteer their time, ability and effort to keep the forums in line.

#2) They have to listen to everybody whine to them when they feel like they have been mistreated.

#3) They have to take complaints and abuse from geocachers all over the world

#4) They have to, for the most part, keep their own personal opinions to themselves when posting, and keep it "strictly business"

#5) They have to be the "bad guys" and ban you when you can't follow the rules.

So explain to me again how they owe US anything? Nobody here owes anyone else here ANYTHING! So I guess the reviewers owe you a geocoin because you hid a cache? OH and I guess you deserve a Lackey since you log your finds on geocaching.com too huh?

If you think the moderators around here owe you something.... then I think you owe ME for wasting my time reading that! :) So get busy minting your own geocoin and send it to me, I'll be waiting and I had better not have to wait long either!

Edit: Spelling

Volunteer, yes, thanks for doing a largely thankless duty. "HAVE to" <____>, no. The mods made a decision to do this, they don't HAVE to do this.

As far as owing the community something, IMHO I believe the individual who mentioned that statement was simply pointing out that unlike the mods alter ego coin (or any commercial coin) the individual can do as they wish with the entire process but because the mods are representatives of Groundspeak they should maybe consider going the extra distance to accomodate the community when/if they produce a coin because they are the first face of Groundspeak and by extension the first impression of Groundspeak that most people will encounter. And it appears this is being considered in this case. Of course I could be mistaken and the person could have meant something entirely different. I have been wrong before and will be wrong again. Anyway, I am glad I am not clamouring around the mosh pit for this coin, it sounds bloody :) but I am happy for you that it is selling well.

This is well said, thanks for contributing.

Hopefully we're past this part now. :unsure:

As for WHEN the pre-sale would happen, it won't be until the sample coin is in. If it looks good, I'll post it here and put in the pre-sale details. I don't want anybody paying for anything sight-unseen.

If the sample is not good.....well, I'll jump off that bridge when I get to it. :unsure:

As mentioned before, it will likely be a little over two weeks before the sample comes in, so don't expect any updates on that until then.

I'm glad to see that things are settling down now.

Some of the recent posts are hilarious - thanks for the laughs.

Pry my LACKEY from my cold dead hands! :unsure:

Those of us that want these for our collections (and a possible trade or gift for a future event) will be getting our chance ME3. I'd still be willing to make a trade for one of the coppers, but I'm not as "worried" about it as I had been!

Can't wait to see the new ones FSM, I like the glow idea!!

Edited by Rockin Roddy

Hallelujah, peace for Eartha, I mean peace on earth! :unsure:

I think it is a good idea that you mint enough to fill the need.

As for me making a coin, I have no plans in the near future to do so, but thank you for asking, I'm flattered. It would have to be the most beautiful coin on Eartha after all, you know. It wouldn't be a spinning coin, but it would tilt at 23.5 degrees.

:)

UPDATE:

Now that I've slept on it for two nights I've made my decision. As you all know, there is no way to please everybody so I'm doing what I think it right, and what allows me to stay truest to my original intents and statements.

I will not be reminting the coins in the current metals. The original run stands and no more of them will be produced.

Since I seem to have under-estimated the demand for these, I am currently exploring doing a run in a new metal, with unlimited quantities.

Sounds Fair to me.

Edited by Nero

now I know wwfsmd and I guess that's one way out of a bad situation - a presale would have been a much better idea imho.

Gee I can understand people being cross this time as I was expecting better so I took my time to go shop around and spend some more! The cart for some reason listed me as USA despite shipping previously to the right country and the whole updating my address had to be done as well so the cart emptied - it wouldn't have taken what five or ten minutes? I can understand a cart emptying if there's no activity for hours but most sites carts keep it for several hours makes sense if they carry a lot of merchandise.

I can say probably the most likely reason someone would take it on is they believe in the forum's goals, principles, etc. and want to do their part to further them. It helps immensely if the mods have the backing of the forum/site owners and I suspect the mods here have that backing (I didn't where I was a mod/admin, hence my decision to leave the position...but that is neither here nor there re: this discussion).

Sorry you had a bad run at being a mod! :o I'm one on 2 different forums, and for me it's about giving something back :)

Wicked decision FSM, thanks, hopefully will get a chance at the next run :)

OH I forgot to add the part where The Big Man upstairs said,"There will be those who do better works than I".

It is a very Wise choice and the FSM did it again.

Never thought (He-She)wouldn't though.

Thanks so much for your wise council and works.

It looks like you have filled(fulfilled) the masses.

Now if I could just get my computer back up I will be doing OK.

I had to borrow one to try and keep up for a little while but will probably be some time before I can be up and at it fully again.

OH did I say THANK YOU!!

For those keeping track, the icon is now live: 1311.gif

Now you, too can have your very own plate o' pasta. :o

Regarding the eBay auction:

I would like the current high bidder to contact me offline.

Right now, one bidder is the high bidder on 4 of the coins listed (2 that I had listed myself) and it's a bit concerning that this bidder is new.

While I understand that it's quite possible this person wants all 4 coins, I am a bit nervous that it's somebody with an eBay sock puppet simply driving up the prices.

I'm considering canceling the bids by that user, but do not want to do so if they are legit.

I understand the desire to stay anonymous, if that is the intent so I have no intentions of "outing" the person - I just want to know that these are legit bids by somebody who wants the coins.

If you know who this person is, please ask them to contact me offline ASAP - thanks.

Now you, too can have your very own plate o' pasta. :)

Right now, one bidder is the high bidder on 4 of the coins listed (2 that I had listed myself) and it's a bit concerning that this bidder is new.

While I understand that it's quite possible this person wants all 4 coins, I am a bit nervous that it's somebody with an eBay sock puppet simply driving up the prices.

I'm considering canceling the bids by that user, but do not want to do so if they are legit.

I understand the desire to stay anonymous, if that is the intent so I have no intentions of "outing" the person - I just want to know that these are legit bids by somebody who wants the coins.

Looks like you may be correct that it's someone with a sock puppet account as they are now high bidder on all 8 FSM coins that are listed ...... :o I believe you can cancel there bids and block them from placing anymore bids on your auctions....

Edited by chief20r2

After checking the ebay prices, I can't see how putting them up for sale there is going to help us from being gouged...unless you maybe put another 50 or so on! Double the price and still 4 days??? OUCH!!

Seems the trade prices are a bit steeper than I can handle as well...looks like you'd need a darn good coin to trade for one of these, something most of the newer collectors don't have! I know I don't have many good ones for this purpose!

Yea, what he said. Like 4 coins for sale at once, 2 different flavors, will keep the price down. Tee hee, that's funny.

So, who's this grizzlycan dude?

Glad someone's finally paying attention.....

If you know who this person is, please ask them to contact me offline ASAP - thanks.

Just a thought here. Seeing that FSM isn't just a Geocaching thing, it could be someone who isn't even here. Not sure cancelling it would be the right thing. If they don't pay, then let eBay handle it and ban all their accounts, otherwise I would let it go.

Just a thought here. Seeing that FSM isn't just a Geocaching thing, it could be someone who isn't even here. Not sure cancelling it would be the right thing. If they don't pay, then let eBay handle it and ban all their accounts, otherwise I would let it go.

Good thought, but given they are bidding on all the FSM geocoins I doubt it.

If the auction bids aren't canceled and it turns out they were a disgruntled grumpy old sockpuppet who had no intention of going through with the sale then that is a lot of time and effort wasted by the sellers, and they then need to do all the chasing up with eBay over it - more effort and time.

Unless there is a fast and satisfactory answer from the bidder, then cancel their bids. But then, this is just my opinion.

Think that's doubtfull seeing they just happen to opened there account shortly after the first 2 hit Ebay.... The sellers are the ones that will get stuck even if Ebay suspends there account they can just open another... The best way is not to allow anybody with 10 or less feedback to bid unless they email first.

2 questions, forgive me if these are stupid.

1. Can this bidder/user not be contacted through the other site by sending a message?

2. Doesn't it cost the seller money to run an auction? If they let it end and have a non-paying bidder won't they lose money because they have to re-list the item?

------------------------

If the answers are yes and yes, I say message said bidder/user wait a day and then cancel the bids so real people can win them.

2 questions, forgive me if these are stupid.

1. Can this bidder/user not be contacted through the other site by sending a message?

2. Doesn't it cost the seller money to run an auction? If they let it end and have a non-paying bidder won't they lose money because they have to re-list the item?

------------------------

If the answers are yes and yes, I say message said bidder/user wait a day and then cancel the bids so real people can win them.

# 1 Yes they can be contacted but I'm sure they can tell you what you want to hear.

# 2 Yes it cost money... Ebay charges a listing fee and then a final value fee at the end of the auction...... You can get you fees back but does take time after you file a non paying bidder complaint with ebay....

# 2 Yes it cost money... Ebay charges a listing fee and then a final value fee at the end of the auction...... You can get you fees back but does take time after you file a non paying bidder complaint with ebay....

Only the closing fees are refunded. The seller is still out the listing fee.

I don't like second chance offers because it usually means that someone ran up the price and I am left with trying to cover my bid plus theirs. No thanks.

Second chance offers takes YOUR last highest bid. I have had more than one time second chance offered to me as the seller had several to get rid of (uh sell LOL) It mean he didn't have to relist and pay that fee. You also can send a second chance offer to anyone that bids not just the second highest bidder. ie keep going down the list until someone buys. If the bid was driven up it also gives you thinking time to decline on that bid you made in the heat of the moment even though you lost

After a less than revealing email from the bidder, I'm not convinced that it's a legit account. It seems odd that there is no GC account to tie to and the eBay account is brand new.

Let's be clear, if somebody want to bid on all of them, more power to you. Good luck getting them all.

I'm not convinced however that this is a legit bid. So, because that person saw the original post and made contact via eBay referencing it, I'm hoping that they see this as well.

Please get in contact with me to verify your account here. While it's not required to buy a coin, it will help me feel at ease that somebody is not just inflating the prices. I will NOT reveal your identity, nor do I care if you wish to purchase them all. It's your money :o

If I don't hear back by 12:00 tomorrow (when I'm going to be offline for day or so) I'm inclined to delete the bids. I realize this may upset one bidder, but given my hesitation on this, I have to go with my gut on this one.

After a less than revealing email from the bidder, I'm not convinced that it's a legit account. It seems odd that there is no GC account to tie to and the eBay account is brand new.

Let's be clear, if somebody want to bid on all of them, more power to you. Good luck getting them all.

I'm not convinced however that this is a legit bid. So, because that person saw the original post and made contact via eBay referencing it, I'm hoping that they see this as well.

Please get in contact with me to verify your account here. While it's not required to buy a coin, it will help me feel at ease that somebody is not just inflating the prices. I will NOT reveal your identity, nor do I care if you wish to purchase them all. It's your money :lol:

If I don't hear back by 12:00 tomorrow (when I'm going to be offline for day or so) I'm inclined to delete the bids. I realize this may upset one bidder, but given my hesitation on this, I have to go with my gut on this one.

I had overbid him/her on one of your coins, just to see the response. About 10 minutes later I was outbid.

A question of clarification on the FSM coin - the metals sold by C&P were Bronze and Antique Silver.

I can understand FSM having a different metal (Antique Gold, and I've heard Copper mentioned), but where would these other Antique Golds being listed on eBay have come from?

Or are people assuming that FSM's listed Antique Gold was the other metal offered from C&P?

Personally I think that the bidding should be cancelled now until it's sorted out, as right now it's just driving up the price. If it all works out and he/she is legit, then they can always bid again.

As for the metals, I believe C&P had them listed as Antique Silver and Antique Gold, I think people are just calling it bronze cuz that's what it looks like sorta.