FSM coin

FSM, your coin looks lovely, congrats of the successful 'birth' of 250 lovely googly geocoins!

If anyone has one to trade, we'd love to entertain your request. We don't do cointracking, but we can come up with an APPLE if necessary. (Artists and Producers Personal Limited Edition) when the trade warrants something darned special like this coin does.

FSM, your coin looks lovely, congrats of the successful 'birth' of 250 lovely googly geocoins!

If anyone has one to trade, we'd love to entertain your request. We don't do cointracking, but we can come up with an APPLE if necessary. (Artists and Producers Personal Limited Edition) when the trade warrants something darned special like this coin does.

Email sent.

Sketti - I'd just like to say a big thanks for the awesome job you and Eartha do in these forums. Moderating must be a huge and largely thankless task - I can only imagine the total sum of what you have to put up with, although this thread is probably a starting insight into that!

I would also like to congratulate you on an awesomely successful, and well designed/crafted geocoin. I guess in that regard a pat on the back also needs to go to Aaron and the crowd at Coins and Pins for a nicely designed and executed geocoin (other issues on sales, etc aside).

Again, thanks for producing a great coin and for the great job you do in here!

Apple? Did someone say apple? :mad:<_<

On my behalf Mauison has listed one of each metal on eBay just a few hours ago.

As I stated before, I'm doing this in hopes of driving the prices down and making a few more available. I kept a few of each metal to do this in hopes that people do not get gouged on the prices since there will be a number of them available.

Antique Silver

Antique Gold (not bronze)

Thanks for all the input - either way. And don't read too much into the "owe you something" comments. It's hard to get the tone of those messages (from both the original person who posted it as well as my reply) in written form.

The moderators "owe" us a geocoin because THEY moderate the forums?.... huh? :mad:

#1) They volunteer their time, ability and effort to keep the forums in line.

#2) They have to listen to everybody whine to them when they feel like they have been mistreated.

#3) They have to take complaints and abuse from geocachers all over the world

#4) They have to, for the most part, keep their own personal opinions to themselves when posting, and keep it "strictly business"

#5) They have to be the "bad guys" and ban you when you can't follow the rules.

So explain to me again how they owe US anything? Nobody here owes anyone else here ANYTHING! So I guess the reviewers owe you a geocoin because you hid a cache? OH and I guess you deserve a Lackey since you log your finds on geocaching.com too huh?

If you think the moderators around here own you something.... then I think you owe ME for wasting my time reading that! <_< So get busy minting your own geocoin and send it to me, I'll be waiting and I had better not have to wait long either!

And now you know why I prefer not to post in these threads. :D Seriously, I think you missed the point of my post. I certainly don't believe the moderators here owe me personally anything. What I was saying was why I hold this particular coin, made by this particular Moderator to a different standard than other coins. And why I think he should consider the community's opinion in his decision to mint more (or not).

As for Points 1-5, what you say is true, though I will add that the Volunteer stuff goes both ways. Yes moderating a forum is an often thankless job. But if the Volunteers didn't think the benefits* were in some way worth the hassle, they could quit at any time. It's not like they have to worry about their health insurance & 401k plan. :mad:

The last portion of your post points out the limitation of a two dimensional forum. You see I don't know you at all, but when I read it, it sure feels like you are making fun of me and my opinions. Now maybe you just wrote it ith wry humor and irony, so I'm giving you the benefit of the doubt. It's just my opinion after all, and you are certainly free to politely disagree. Count me among those who believe the world would be pretty boring without a variety of opinions.

*what benefits you ask? Must be the adoration and respect of the forum or maybe it's the platinum key to Moderator Lounge. :D

fsmfrontvu3.jpg

fsmbackng3.jpg

The only things I will say right now are:

1) I've received permission from the creator of the FSM to do this

2) The final die corrected the issue with the noodles not connecting to the eyes

Added 6/13/07: Icon will be fsm2ik9.jpg

WWFSMD?

I ask WWJD?

He only had 5 loaves and 2 fishes and he fed the multitude.

All were full.

If FSM followed this lead all that hungered would be fed.

I was on top of a Mountain over the weekend and this subject kept crossing my mind.

It is my own thoughts and in no way means to degrade anyone or anything.

It is just how I feel now about geocoins.

I think that if someone really wants one it should be easy for one to aquire.

I spent a lot of time and wore out my F5 key in the past.

But as things change so do I.

I think we place to much of our expectations on Others and it shows in the forums.

I hope that everyone that really wants one can get it.

Again just my humble opinions.

Why I think the FSM coin is different from other geocoins.

<snip>

As a Moderator you have certain powers; you can lock threads, send "warnings," and beat people silly with your noodly appendage. :mad: I believe with those powers also come certain responsibilities. In other words, as a "leader" of this community, I think you "owe" something back to us. And it doesn't take more than a cursory read of the last 8 pages or so to see that many members of the community were unable to obtain a coin yesterday and would like for you to make more.

<snip>

If you like the idea that the coins are in high demand and limited (and IMO it seems you do); the next sentence in Post #72 reads "..these coins will be made available to everyone (quantities not withstanding)." Perhaps you could just re-mint one metal and let the other become the de facto "LE." And if you want to do something different with the re-mint to avoid further drama, (like take reservations, limit quantities etc.), I'm sure I would not be the only one to volunteer to help you accomplish that.

Thanks for the thoughts. I do appreciate the opinions.

A few things I'll comment on:

1) I'm not sure that I "owe" anything to the community. I think I do give a lot, but I understand your point of view.

2) My comment about being available to everybody was meant in the sense that everybody had a fair shot at them. There was no exclusivity in the sale (and lack of trading).

3) Reminting causes issues any way you slice it. Redoing one metal, lessens the trade value of that metal because there are now more of them. Redoing both does that to both. Doing a NEW metal causes grief in the sense that the same frenzy will occur all over again for the new metal (or so it would seem)

4) Redoing a metal also makes the coins I will have listed on eBay tonight seem like taking advantage of the situation (by potentially collecting a lot of money on these because they are "HTF", and then making more)

Again, it's been less than 24 hours since this whole thing happened and I'm not in a position to make a final decision at this point, but you can see where I stand right now.

Hey 'Sketti, correct me if I'm wrong. But I think you should consider doing so. The heck with nickel, or copper, make one in Parmesan.

Ooh, the PLE (parmesan limited edition)! :D

You could always remint them in sterling silver! <_< That will seperate the people who REALLY want the coin for their collection from the ones who just want to flame those who have them. (we weren't one of the lucky ones on this coin, but WOULD buy one in silver :mad: )

I would love to explain, but I am sure this post will cause some of the usual angst-posters to post something derogatory, or re-commence on telling people how the world should work again, or all about how they run their own businesses. Personality trends I guess; but I am not going to hold back just because of them.

The situation is that this problem occurred several months ago when the new site first came on line. Our tech guys looked into it and made some adjustments. Then the problem did not resurface; so obviously we thought the problem was fixed. But then last night is resurfaced again. Of course I was not able to go get our web guys out of bed to work diligently all night to satisfy this one sale. However, now knowing the fix that was made several months ago did not do the trick, I have contacted them today to work on it again. I am sorry to several of you that lost you items out of your basket, but only if I were a psychic would I have known that it would be a problem again.

This problem may not get fixed depending on what the tech guys can troubleshoot. There are problems with this new site that were not problems with our old site; and there are problems with the old site that are not problems with the new site. We have been working on fixing a few issues with the site, but it all takes time and some things just can't be fixed no matter how hard they try. I am not a computer guy, I leave that up to the people who went to school for it. So now I wait and see what they can find. It's not like I want upset customers, but sometimes the logitics of some things don't work out when you really need them to. The world is not perfect, but we try as well as we can. That heavy of a demand for the FSM coin was never anticipated based on how other coin sales have been going over the last 6 months.

By the way, last night someone in here posted they emptied thier shopping cart and sent an email asking to be removed form the mailing list because they were upset. We never received an email asking this, so please resend your email so we can get that taken care of right away. There are too many posts to look through to find who it was.

Thank you.

Thank you, C&P for the explaination! <_< That really helps (me anyway). I'm not mad - a bit unhappy, I'll admit, at missing out on getting a pair of these nice coins but not mad. I wasn't even home - I had to be at work :mad: I'm glad that there is an expalination for what all happened. I never had any issues with the coin selling out or that I probably wouldn't have scored any even if I had been at my 'puter at the time. Just the "cart issue" bothered me. Now I understand. I hope it can be fixed! :D

I must admit that I'm hoping that FSM will remint so I will have another chance. I have a "bid", if you will, in for a trade possibility and I'm very open to other trade chances but e-$$$ is out of my price range. So, please, FSM, please mint some more.

Thanks again C&P and thanks FSM for the chance to obtain your coins.

CF30

Edited by Crowesfeat30

After checking the ebay prices, I can't see how putting them up for sale there is going to help us from being gouged...unless you maybe put another 50 or so on! Double the price and still 4 days??? OUCH!!

Seems the trade prices are a bit steeper than I can handle as well...looks like you'd need a darn good coin to trade for one of these, something most of the newer collectors don't have! I know I don't have many good ones for this purpose!

After checking the ebay prices, I can't see how putting them up for sale there is going to help us from being gouged...unless you maybe put another 50 or so on! Double the price and still 4 days??? OUCH!!

Seems the trade prices are a bit steeper than I can handle as well...looks like you'd need a darn good coin to trade for one of these, something most of the newer collectors don't have! I know I don't have many good ones for this purpose!

Yea, what he said. Like 4 coins for sale at once, 2 different flavors, will keep the price down. Tee hee, that's funny.

So, who's this grizzlycan dude?

I happen to be one of the lucky ones and bought one FSM in each metal. I would love to make someones day by making a trade. I will not place mine on ebay as I would just rebuy geocoins anyway. I would be willing to see what trades people have to offer. Please e-mail and I will chose from the offers on Saturday. The winning trader can pick which metal of FSM geocoin they like.

Thank you for any offers,

Mr.Explorer3

I happen to be one of the lucky ones and bought one FSM in each metal. I would love to make someones day by making a trade. I will not place mine on ebay as I would just rebuy geocoins anyway. I would be willing to see what trades people have to offer. Please e-mail and I will chose from the offers on Saturday. The winning trader can pick which metal of FSM geocoin they like.

Mr.Explorer3

Where's your seeking list hosted at?

When I bought the Anthus LEs, I bought a set of each for myself, one for trading (which I did trade to a very good friend) and one was donated for our event. I have an LE that I'd be willing to take from my collection to trade for one of the 'sketti coins...but it will break my heart to see it go!

So....I have ONE Laptop LE (either color) for trade. Just the LE, not the set.

It's almost funny to see a coin become so HTF only two days after an open sale. I'm almost tempted to try and trade for one just because it's become so sought after (and it did look like a neat coin), but perhaps I'll just stand back and leave them to the people that were really looking to get them.

I never saw the note saying they were going on sale from the coin company--or I might have watched for them just a little more closely. Well, I knew that I wouldn't get one of these--I liked them too much.

I was afraid that they would go on sale over the weekend, while I was in Muncie watching my daughter graduate from college Saturday. We spent Sunday helping her move out of her apartment on campus and back home for a bit until she can find someone who wants to hire a psychology major (polysci minor).

But, no, they went on sale while I was at the hospital, waiting for my first grandchild to be born (a boy, 7 pounds 6 ounces, 20 and a half inches long--looks just like his father--my oldest son, middle child-- did when he was born). I guess I didn't stand a chance even if I had known they were on sale anyway--the new baby does take precedence over a coin (sorry if that offends anyone :mad: ).

Do I really have to read all the way through this rather heated thread again to see if there will be a remint? I'm still interested in buying a couple-three if they go on sale again.

Mr.Explorer3

Where's your seeking list hosted at?

One of the seeking list

I see several geocoins that aren't at geocoincollection that would be good trades also.

I can't beleive how fast I have received multiple trade offers and some are two-fers. I didn't realize how lucky I really was.

I never saw the note saying they were going on sale from the coin company--or I might have watched for them just a little more closely. Well, I knew that I wouldn't get one of these--I liked them too much.

I was afraid that they would go on sale over the weekend, while I was in Muncie watching my daughter graduate from college Saturday. We spent Sunday helping her move out of her apartment on campus and back home for a bit until she can find someone who wants to hire a psychology major (polysci minor).

But, no, they went on sale while I was at the hospital, waiting for my first grandchild to be born (a boy, 7 pounds 6 ounces, 20 and a half inches long--looks just like his father--my oldest son, middle child-- did when he was born). I guess I didn't stand a chance even if I had known they were on sale anyway--the new baby does take precedence over a coin (sorry if that offends anyone :mad: ).

Do I really have to read all the way through this rather heated thread again to see if there will be a remint? I'm still interested in buying a couple-three if they go on sale again.

despite the coin (or lack thereof) it sounds like you had a pretty special couple of days ;) Congratulations on your daughters graduation and for your first grandchild !!

UPDATE:

Now that I've slept on it for two nights I've made my decision. As you all know, there is no way to please everybody so I'm doing what I think it right, and what allows me to stay truest to my original intents and statements.

I will not be reminting the coins in the current metals. The original run stands and no more of them will be produced.

Since I seem to have under-estimated the demand for these, I am currently exploring doing a run in a new metal, with unlimited quantities.

I am working with C&P to get a sample in black satin nickel. This is a duller finish than the polished metal and should show the 3-d detail well. As an example, here's a pic of the Compass Rose done in a POLISHED black nickel (the satin should show even more detail):

3431_1.JPG

The current thought is:

Black satin nickel finish

Same blue paint

The pirate fish on the back would be white glow-in-the-dark enamel

These would be handled as PRE-SALES, meaning that you would need to pay upfront, not just express interest.

Ordering would be open for 1 week. At the end of the week, the number ordered would be the number made.

Invoices would be sent out, and the coins would be minted.

The issues to work around are the PayPal issues with pre-sales.

This all depends on how the samples turn out. It's going to take 2-3 weeks to get the samples in, as this was not planned for.

Again, not everybody will be happy about this, but I feel it keeps me true to my word and allows everybody to get at least one coin (or in this case as many as you want) in one finish/metal.

Whew.

I'm off to work now. I have a real job that has been neglected for the past 48 hours. :mad:

UPDATE:

Now that I've slept on it for two nights I've made my decision. As you all know, there is no way to please everybody so I'm doing what I think it right, and what allows me to stay truest to my original intents and statements.

Since I seem to have under-estimated the demand for these, I am currently exploring doing a run in a new metal, with unlimited quantities.

This sounds like a great idea, especially the pre-sales part.

Thanks!

Again, not everybody will be happy about this, but I feel it keeps me true to my word and allows everybody to get at least one coin (or in this case as many as you want) in one finish/metal.

Whew.

I'm off to work now. I have a real job that has been neglected for the past 48 hours. ;)

I for one am VERY happy about this ;) I think I might even prefer the black satin :mad:

...sorry all of this has caused so much stress and made you neglect your real job ;)

I am happy to hear that more of these coins will be minted. I was busy at work when the original run came out and I completely missed the sale. Thanks for considering doing a different metal (and having the presales). I love coins with glow in the dark too!

Hope that you can get back to your real job soon FSM!

.... watching my daughter graduate from college Saturday. We spent Sunday helping her move out of her apartment on campus and back home for a bit until she can find someone who wants to hire a psychology major (polysci minor).

... I was at the hospital, waiting for my first grandchild to be born (a boy, 7 pounds 6 ounces, 20 and a half inches long--looks just like his father--my oldest son, middle child-- did when he was born). ...

despite the coin (or lack thereof) it sounds like you had a pretty special couple of days :mad: Congratulations on your daughters graduation and for your first grandchild !!

Thanks, I appreciate your saying that. I am very pleased about both of these events --my little family is growing up (the "baby" will be a high school senior this year). Compared to getting a coin, well, it helped put it all in perspective for me...coins are cool but family is precious beyond measure.

and now FSM says he will mint another version with presale--yippee (Thanks FSM!)---so I get one of the coins, too. That's just peachy!

I have been a moderator/admin on an online forum, and I know it is a thankless job (anyone ever contacted the FBI over online death threats?). I can say probably the most likely reason someone would take it on is they believe in the forum's goals, principles, etc. and want to do their part to further them. It helps immensely if the mods have the backing of the forum/site owners and I suspect the mods here have that backing (I didn't where I was a mod/admin, hence my decision to leave the position...but that is neither here nor there re: this discussion).

That said, I just wanted to thank FSM for his decision to remint, and the spectacularly good way in which he chose to do it. I think it shows just the sort of thoughtful impartiality that a moderator must exhibit to succeed in the job. This is truly a win-win-win situation.

As my youngest son arose sloppily from his second helping of Chef Boyardee, I noticed two curvy edged shadows of meat sauce extending in opposite directions from his chin. The resemblance of FSM's logo was unmistakable. It wasn't more than 30 minutes later when I brought up this page and learned of His happy decree of more coins for the masses. Be they merry, or malcontent...He truly does care for those who would consume Him hungrily. I get a chill in my chinaware as I giggle at his garlicky greatness.

Thank you, FSM, for this fortuitous foretelling, and for this virtuous vindication from vexatious forum frustration.

May your appendages always be moist, and may your sauces always be simmering...

Sincerely,

Yime

PS: Yoo da noodle! :mad: