FSM coin

Part of the fun in collecting coins is getting the hard to get ones through trades, etc. Making enough coins for everybody to have one upfront takes away some of the fun IMO.

I have no quarrel with people who do like to trade and those who enjoy the challenge of acquiring an especially rare coin. If that's their thing, far be it for me to rain on their parade...

...but, it's not my thing. I don't find enjoyment in the Art of the Trade and the amount of "fun" in my world will not increase as a result of this coin being a hard to get item.

All that said, it's your choice to decide how many to make and I'm not gonna whine if you decide to make far fewer than the demand...as much as I want one of these coins (and I do want one), my life is not going to come to an end if I don't get one. (Is it heresy to admit that here...? :laughing: )

All that said, it's your choice to decide how many to make and I'm not gonna whine if you decide to make far fewer than the demand...as much as I want one of these coins (and I do want one), my life is not going to come to an end if I don't get one. (Is it heresy to admit that here...? :rolleyes: )

It took me a year and several hundred coins to figure this out myself. :laughing: Looking forward to this coin nonetheless.

All that said, it's your choice to decide how many to make and I'm not gonna whine if you decide to make far fewer than the demand...as much as I want one of these coins (and I do want one), my life is not going to come to an end if I don't get one. (Is it heresy to admit that here...? :laughing: )

It took me a year and several hundred coins to figure this out myself. :( Looking forward to this coin nonetheless.

True... but I get the feeling that when there is a unique, different, or upcoming 'everyones got to have' geocoin, that there are a few individuals out there who rush out and buy up 20 or 30 (or more?) of a geocoin. Do that and a minting of a couple of hundred available coins goes very fast, to very few people (remember the 2007 Compass Rose anyone?). I can see this happening with FSM's coins and I'll bet that if there are no buying restrictions that there will very quickly be some on ebay going for huge dollars!

I think that sometimes there needs to be a limit on the total number of coins of a design that any one person can buy in 1 transaction. Some vendors are now doing this with the LE coins they sell. Any FSM coins are going to be highly sought after.

I just don't want to see a repeat of what happened with the Compass Roses with FSM's coin - and all those who genuinely want them missing out.

Is there any reason why this coin isn't done as a presale so you know how many people want them up front?

I always have such bad luck when coins and pins have their new coins released. Either I can't get online or by the time I put the coin in my basket and check out, it says the count is 0 and I can't get the coin. This is always so disappointing, especially when you have followed a thread and know exactly when they are going to be released. Then it is more aggravating when you see them on ebay and know you were at coins and pins, but you couldn't get any. :laughing:

Personally, I don't see why preorders aren't done. Does anyone know why?

Part of the fun in collecting coins is getting the hard to get ones through trades, etc. Making enough coins for everybody to have one upfront takes away some of the fun IMO.

True enough but it's disheartening to see dozens and dozens of these HTF coins on Ebay for MONTHS commanding outrageous closing bids and the traders knowing they can demand an arm and a leg.

I would love to see sales restricted to a limit on the numbers available per order. If the re-sellers want more than the max allowed it will just take them a little longer to corner the market giving everyone else a dip at the trough.

The idea of a reserve or pre-order for an early guarantee also puts to rest anxieties of having to camp out at the computer 24 hours before the sale starts. :laughing:

... many personal coins are not selling well these days. I don't know what to expect and am hedging my bets. Yes, there have been a lot of posts so far wanting a coin via sale or trade, but I'm not sure that I've seen 125 people say they each want two coins (you get my meaning).

Well the pasta didn't come right out and say it, but I'm taking that post to mean there will be a 2 coin per cacher limit when they do go on sale. I hope so anyway.

I'm not sure what's possible in terms of restrictions, but I am looking into this....

I'm really happy to hear that ;) ;) :D

I'll definitely be looking to get a couple of each. And may be ordering for others over here too so as to save on postage.

Somebody asked me last night via email, so I thought maybe others would benefit from the answer as well.

Yes, this coin is for real - it's not a joke, or intended to pull your leg.

I'm hoping that it's ready in the next week or so, but it's in the mint's hands right now and I know they are very busy.

We are close, though.

Thanks for all the interest and I'll keep posting updates as I get them.

- Sketti

I'm hoping that it's ready in the next week or so,

I'm hoping for "or so"!! ;)

We are heading out of town as soon as I get off work today (on lunch now :o ) and I will be without net access until we get back on Sunday!!

I'd hate to miss my chance at a couple of these!! :D

Have a great 4th everyone!!

D-man :D

Looks like those attending MidWest Geobash won't miss out.

The coins should be in hand next week, and then take about a week to get ready/loaded into the site to sell.

It's taking a bit longer from the mint than expected - which is another reason that I didn't want to do pre-sales.

Stuff happens that causes delays and I feel better about making people wait without having any money exchange hands first.

The coins should be in hand next week, and then take about a week to get ready/loaded into the site to sell.

It's taking a bit longer from the mint than expected - which is another reason that I didn't want to do pre-sales.

Stuff happens that causes delays and I feel better about making people wait without having any money exchange hands first.

So that means that if you're not going to MWGB you're probably out of luck, right? :laughing:

I guess I'll send money with a friend, and hope against hope I can get one there or on the website.

So that means that if you're not going to MWGB you're probably out of luck, right? :laughing:

I guess I'll send money with a friend, and hope against hope I can get one there or on the website.

Hmmm... I read this comment as saying that people who will be off the internet because they will instead be at MWGB will still be able to buy coins, because they will not be ready for sales until AFTER MWGB. At least that's the way I read His Skettidness' comment.

Where did this leap of mislogic come from?

FSM clearly said that those attending the MWGB WON'T MISS OUT...what part of that idn't clear?...it's not going to be on sale during that time...either AT the bash or on line...sheesh... :laughing:

Edited by Allanon

LOL, wow it's amazing how one person can misread something and then that turns the whole thing a different and inaccurate direction.

What I read is that they're NOT going to be available until AFTER MWGB, so those who are going do NOT need to worry about missing out as they will be home BEFORE they go on sale.

FSM?

LOL, wow it's amazing how one person can misread something and then that turns the whole thing a different and inaccurate direction.

What I read is that they're NOT going to be available until AFTER MWGB, so those who are going do NOT need to worry about missing out as they will be home BEFORE they go on sale.

FSM?

That is exactly how I read it, how in the world was that misunderstood :P

FSM?

That is exactly how I read it, how in the world was that misunderstood :D

In a word..... PANIC!! :P:D:D Pass the popcorn.

So that means that if you're not going to MWGB you're probably out of luck, right? :D

Where did this leap of mislogic come from?

FSM clearly said that those attending the MWGB WON'T MISS OUT...what part of that idn't clear?...it's not going to be on sale during that time...either AT the bash or on line...sheesh... :P

Ummm...here is the way I see it..... Moosiegirl's post..it is asking ...."if you're NOT going to MWGB, will you be out out luck". That probably means that she thought it was going to be offered for sale there first, not that she thought she would miss it if she did go.

Let me clarify:

The coins won't be on sale until next week. Meaning that if you do go to MWGB, you won't miss out because the dates won't overlap.

The coins will not be sold at MWGB - just on the C&P website when they are ready.

Is that clear now?

I think it seems clear, yet confusing :P:D

Quoting above, "next week" is MWGB. I'm not alarmed, because if I miss them, I miss them. Just an FYI. Everyone just keep your noodles crossed that they don't sell them until after July 22nd (last day of MWGB).

Just got word that the coins are in fact in-hand and being readied for sale as we speak.

They could be ready as early as this Friday/Saturday - which I know realize is when MWGB is (I finally looked it up all by my one-sie).

As for WHEN exactly they will go on sale - it will be as soon as they are ready. I'm not going to burden C&P with details like "please wait for this weekend, or a specific time". They are helping out with this, so as soon as they are ready - they will be set loose.

I apologize if this means that some miss out. Some always will.

More to come as I hear more...

Amazing. You are all assuming that just because the coins are available and COULD POSSIBLY go on sale AS EARLY AS FRIDAY...that they will...

Personally, since I can't go to GeoBash, I hope they do go on sale as a 'bonus' for those of us that can't go...but really people...chill out!

Will be at the MWGB, so I guess, better luck next time.

We will be there too...and then in a technology void (vacationing where the internet does not reach) for the foloowing week...so I am hopeful that we'll be able to snag one later.

DD: We won't be at MWGB so I'll grab some for you, providing we luck out and get some. :D <crosses fingers> <crosses toes> <crosses eyes>

I'll be at the bash too. Would someone like to trade?

LOL there is going to be a higher than usual amount of coin buying just to cover the friends caught at the MWGB.

Still Coins and Pins has generally sent subscribers notice of upcoming new new sales about 3 days or more in advance. As yet not such newsletter has been issued. One can possibly assume they'll hold off until after the megaevent. So if you're going look for Aaron's newsletter and tie a string around your finger to remind you of the date and time to go to town and log in at the nearest Internet cafe. :D:D

I am glad I won't be at the MWGB, However I do work Fridays and Saturdays so who knows if I will get one or not?

I'm feeling a little better about not being able to go also but I, too work Friday nights (I am off of Saturday tho) so I'm crossing my fingers that they don't go on sale while I'm away from the 'puter.

CF30

For the record - I'm not trying to make anybody's life hard or trying to create a feeding frenzy on these. They will go on sale whenever C&P is ready to list them. They are helping me out with the coin sale so I'm not going to ask for any special favors about when they go on sale.

Of course, I could always just price them so high that nobody would buy too many of them.....hmmmm.....ok, coins will be $22.95 each or $45.00 for two - what a deal! :D

Seriously, there's no time that will please everybody so I hope that everything works out for everybody.

if not initially, there's always the trading thread up top. :D

Again, thanks for the interest gang.

Edited by Flying Spaghetti Monster

Hope to be able to get one when the sale starts ! Kinda going to be like the old days when we all hit the F5 key trying to get the new coin for sale :D I missed out on a few great coins back then because I had dileup then.Hope to be lucky enough to grab one :D

Did I miss the price?

Also, will these be re-made? Or are they limited?

Thanks

I believe FSM has reserved the right to remint, if there is enough demand (well, that's a "duh"). There was a discussion of same metals, or different. But, if the demand is there, I'm sure more will be reminted.

Also, except for the occasional meeting at work (typically Thursday mornings), I have internet access at home and work, pretty much 24/7. When Aaron's newletter comes out, anyone who won't be able to order for themselves can contact me through my profile, and I will be glad to order some for you (as long as I can get through). I was able to snag some extra compass rose coins for a couple of other folks when that feeding frenzy occurred. Glad to do it again!