Chronological Confusion

PilotMike

I never liked that either, I wish they would just be in order of the way I logged them, from bottom to top.

Technically it is. First in is chronologically sorted to the bottom as not the most recent log entered; thus my suggestion to reverse enter the logs.

You have to quit thinking like an earthling. ;)

Edited by TotemLake

I never liked that either, I wish they would just be in order of the way I logged them, from bottom to top.

Technically it is. First in is chronologically sorted to the bottom as not the most recent log entered; thus my suggestion to reverse enter the logs.

You have to quit thinking like an earthling. ;)

But the most recent log entered isn't always on the top.

Why should day boundaries matter very much anyway?

You have to quit thinking like an earthling. :drama:

But the most recent log entered isn't always on the top.

Why should day boundaries matter very much anyway?

I haven't seen that happen.

Either way, I'm the wrong guy to try to answer.

I'm going to nudge this thread to keep the petition fresh in the minds that be.

It would be soooo nice to have WITHIN THE DAY logs in the order "most recent on top", it is that way for the days already - just do the same WITHIN the day. When I come back from a day's caching I tend to log them in the order that I visited them - first one found logged first, but then it ends up at the bottom of the day's logs. I realise that I can influence things by logging back to front, but I find it easier to relive my expedition in the order that I did it.

The current order is Chrono by day and then within that day they are sorted top (first) down in the order you logged them.

Within each day - it makes sense. All together it does not.

I agree... this should be fixed (and should be simple). Who cares if people log one way or the other, seems to make sense that your history would be displayed in the order it was entered.

If you use the GSAK macros, some of them (like the stats generator) are smart enough to "sort logs by date" and will "do the right thing" when it comes to output (GSAK itself doesn't quite sort things in-order, but it's possible to do by querying the logs).

Of course, using something like MySQL as a DB backend, sorting these would be trivial (ie. timestamps). I'm sure it's not much more difficult with any other database, though.

Just thought I'd jump in here with another observation on this subject...

I have recently had reason to view and use my 'My Geocaching Logs (All)' page.

Although I have entered all my finds (yes, and the DNFs too, thank-you) in the order I visited the cache site, the records are completely jumbled within each day's activity.

Not in the order I logged them, not in reverse order, not alphabetically.

To recap, the dates are in correct order, but the logs on a particular date seem to be in a random order.

(I am not quite anal enough to keep a copy of the page on my comp to see if they are moving around within each days records. :) )

Just thought I'd jump in here with another observation on this subject...

I have recently had reason to view and use my 'My Geocaching Logs (All)' page.

Although I have entered all my finds (yes, and the DNFs too, thank-you) in the order I visited the cache site, the records are completely jumbled within each day's activity.

To recap, the dates are in correct order, but the logs on a particular date seem to be in a random order.

(I am not quite anal enough to keep a copy of the page on my comp to see if they are moving around within each days records. :) )

On my "My Geocaching Logs (All)" page, the finds seem to be in reverse order (oldest first) within a day, but the DNFs are all sorted to either the top or bottom of the day. On "My Geocaching Logs this month", all the logs are sorted in reverse order (oldest first) within a day. :sad::(

Again, they're in the order you logged them, from top to bottom (within each date)... the logs (by logid) are still coming out of the DB sequential, but they're (currently) spewed out in a seemingly random fashion. GSAK and other third party applications are able to "do the right thing" with the logs, provided you enter your logs in the order in which you found them. Hopefully this is yet another thing they'll fix in GC 2.0.

Note: Adding in things like DNFs, bugs, etc would seem to make the order even more confusing... but I'm assuming you only care about the "found" logs as far as order goes...

Edit: Added the note.

Edited by russellvt

Again, they're in the order you logged them, from top to bottom (within each date)... the logs (by logid) are still coming out of the DB sequential, but they're (currently) spewed out in a seemingly random fashion.

No, they're not.

I have been time-stamping my logs since some time in 2003 (with a few minor exceptions).

And as well I have (no doubt about it) logged my finds and DNFs (again, with a few minor exceptions...HEY, nobody's perfect!) in the order they occurred.

Also (as I mentioned in a previous post in this thread), I am maintaining an Excel file of all my finds, in the correct order of findature, and with the time of findage duly noted.

So I do know what order my finds SHOULD be in, but the previously noted page is not displaying them THE WAY I ENTERED THEM.

I understand that the site will sort in preference to the type of log, but that isn't really an issue.

And in fact, for me, none of this is an issue, thanks to the aforementioned Excel file.

I like parentheses (don't you?).

I don't think anyone's mentioned this yet. When you go to a profile on the Waymarking site, there is a drop down menu that gives you these options:

Newest

Oldest

Alphabetical: A-Z

Alphabetical: Z-A

I'm not the expert on this, but if they're doing that at the Waymarking site, it's possible that they're planning to use that in the future for the Geocaching site. Just something I was thinking about, not really sure if it will happen.

I don't think anyone's mentioned this yet. When you go to a profile on the Waymarking site, there is a drop down menu that gives you these options:

Newest

Oldest

I'm not the expert on this, but if they're doing that at the Waymarking site, it's possible that they're planning to use that in the future for the Geocaching site. Just something I was thinking about, not really sure if it will happen.

Since the release of the new version will be happening after Tuesday, we'll all know shortly!! Hooray!!!!!

Newest

Oldest

Since the release of the new version will be happening after Tuesday, we'll all know shortly!! Hooray!!!!!

Which Tuesday?

I hope you mean this coming Tuesday, July 14, 2008.

On the other hand, 'After Tuesday' still encompasses a rather long, indeterminate period... :anitongue:

Is there a thread on the subject I should be reading?

Which Tuesday?

I hope you mean this coming Tuesday, July 14, 2008.

On the other hand, 'After Tuesday' still encompasses a rather long, indeterminate period... :laughing:

Is there a thread on the subject I should be reading?

Somehow this struck me with the quote, "I'll gladly pay you tuesday..." :anitongue: