yeah another usb-to-serial post

I've tried everything and I cannot get it to see the GPS. The error message I keep getting is: Garmin can't init COM3

I've tried com1, com4 and com3. None of them have made a difference.

I have a garmin IIIplus and an etrex and I get the same message with both.

Help Please!!

Which port is the adapter connected to? You can find out through Device Manager. If you have a PDA, the sync software may be controlling the port, and you will have to disable that before you can use the GPS.

It's connected to com4. I tried changing it to different ports (1 & 3) but I got the same results. I made sure the hotsync software was closed/disabled.

Are you sure the cable is good? Is the GPS set to Garmin interface, not NMEA? The GPS is on, right? You're getting a generic error code, and the problem could be a number of things.

I just got the cable (ebay), the computer sees it. I installed the drivers before plugging it in. When I got to Device manager/ports I see "prolific usb-to-serial comm port (comm 4). In GSAK/GPS settings I have the usb box uncheked and com4 selected.

The GPS is on and it's set to Garmin interface not NMEA.

I assume you're using the serial cables for the eTrex and the GPS III, and connecting these to the adapter. That points to a bad adapter. It may be new off ebay, but it could still be defective. It's easy to get a bad connection with an eTrex, and I've had to reinstall the cable on mine many times to get a good one, so I would try that before anything else, but assuming that connection is good, my next guess would be the adapter.

There must a a hundred threads on this forum on this subject, so you might be able to learn more by reading some of them.