Print Friendly Pages

Backup

On pages with pictures in background when I try and use the printer friendly page the paper 'disappears' so you can see the background pictures all over the pages making the words hard to read ...
You're right, that needs to be corrected.
... and not worth printing ...
Did you try "print preview"? Browsers by default won't include the background image when printing.
On pages with pictures in background when I try and use the printer friendly page the paper 'disappears' so you can see the background pictures all over the pages making the words hard to read ...
You're right, that needs to be corrected.
... and not worth printing ...
Did you try "print preview"? Browsers by default won't include the background image when printing.

Can't remember will try now.....

:) Looks fine on print preview screen. :D

Also I have brought up other pages with images on the backgound and it does it on some and not on others. :)

At least I know that even if it does it it should still print ok, just means depending on the background it could be hard customise your print out if you can't read it before you print it. :lol:

Ok... I'm reading this thread and seeing the many "Please fix this", "this doesn't work and makes me mad", etc...

Let me give you a little background and maybe we can get somewhere.

When I make these changes, I test them on all grade A browsers. Grade A browsers are: IE 7, Firefox 2.x, Opera 9.x and Safari for Mac & XP.

I test all those browsers on various caches and fix the bugs as I see them appear. So, when issues like the ones that are being reported come up, if you don't tell me what browser you're using and what cache this is happening on, it really does me no good and doesn't help me "fix" or find a solution any faster.

So, please please please, if you report an error provide some basic information in your post: Operating System, Browser and Browser version number. If the error is happening on a cache, then give me either the URL or the GC number of the cache.

Thanks,

Raine

Fair enough.

My complaint is that the 'Print Friendly' version of the cache page no longer features the option to show the last five online logs.

I use computers at home, at work and at dozens of different hotel business centers. Multiple operating systems, multiple browsers, multiple versions. The logs are unavailable on the Print Friendly page no matter what setup I use, therefore I'm fairly convinced that the operating system / browser combination is not relevant to the problem.

I really don't want to sound whiny, but I've posted several reminders about this issue in this thread, all of which have been ignored. Can someone in the know please tell me if this issue is even being considered for repair?

As I have said before, it sure would be nice to be able to once again conveniently print out the last five logs the way we used to. It seems to me that the logs are among the more critical elements on the cache page. I really miss that function. The work around described below is okay as a temporary fix, but I am still hoping for a return to the old functionality.

Any news? Anything at all to report?

(If there continues to be no answer from the nice (but obviously very busy) Groundspeak folks, does anyone know if there is another avenue for requesting news on the status of such a repair?)

You can get the old print-friendly pages with a little URL magic. Pull up a cache page. Click in the location bar near the top of your browser, the one that shows "http://www.geocaching.com/...". Position your text cursor at the end and type the five characters &pf=y then press ENTER.

Thanks!! That works great!! :lol:

That'll hold me until the "Make this page print-friendly (show 5 logs)" option finally returns.

Any word on the status of that repair? :P

Anything in the works yet?

It sure would be nice to be able to once again conveniently print out the last five logs the way we used to. It seems to me that the logs are among the more critical elements on the cache page.

Can we have them back soon? Please? :(

Well? Any news?

I suuuuuure do miss that function. :P

[cautiously optimistic thread bump.]

Out of curiosity I took another gander at a "Print Friendly Page" again. The format still does not work for me, which is neither here nor there, but...

Using Windows XP Pro, MS IE 6.0 Updated SP2 - Clicking on Short Description, Long Description, Additional Hints, Attributes, or Maps twice in a row results in the following fatal error.

iexplore.exe-Application Error

The instruction at "0x7dd5078b" referenced memory at "0x00000000". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program

Click on CANCEL to debug the program

Thanks to a knowledgeable user I was lead to the Cellphone WAP pages which actually produces what I think of as "Print Friendly Pages". Now if I could just get a link to this format directly from any cache page.

Print Friendly does not print coordinates for me.

Example GC155G3 only has large blank area with waypoint name in large bold for top 1/3 of page then Short Description then Long then attributes then on pg 2 the map.

How do I get the coordinates to printout?

IE 7.0.5

When I go caching, I prefer a printed out hardcopy (yeah, yeah, I know. I have a Smartphone with current PQ's, but I still find this more efficient). The more caches per sheet, the happier I am. With the past version of cache pages it was tough to cut-n-past (in order to reduce the output), but the current version, with all the tables is a nightmare to reduce down to the basic information.

Choosing the "Make this page print-friendly" was designed by someone who obviously never prints their cache pages (probably not even a cacher). With no editing (and no logs) it spits out a minimum of two pages!

My suggestion is to make the "print-friendly" page, print-friendly. Consolidate what is needed and delete items and formats not needed, as suggested below.

- Get rid of all "TABLES"

- No maps

- No graphics (i.e. cache container icons, Difficulty/Terrain stars, etc.) - use text or nothing at all.

- Remove all items that can be "Selected Options" from the original cache page (the user already chose print-friendly), such as "Send to Phone", or "Print PDF".

-The above includes all hyperlinks (this is for PRINTING)

I suggest the format below (the less lines used the better):

Cache Name and GCxxxx

Cache TYPE and SIZE Difficulty: 2Star Terrain: 1Star

Hidden by on date

Coordinates

Your disclaimer (which I really don't want but I guess you need)

Inventory: travelbugs/Geocoins

Text description

Additional Hints: and Decryption Key

Additional Waypoints

x number of logs entries (if any, as selected on the original cache page)

I would like to see the 'last found' date on the 'printfriendly' page.

Ditto here, it's absolutley terrible. Two pages to print about a paragraph of text and one map. the old version was much better IMO. Is there some way to have actuall printer friendly, cacher friendly pages?

Print Friendly does not print coordinates for me.

Example GC155G3 only has large blank area with waypoint name in large bold for top 1/3 of page then Short Description then Long then attributes then on pg 2 the map.

How do I get the coordinates to printout?

IE 7.0.5

Just noticed, mileage and compass directions from home coords are no longer on the print page. The girlfriend used this to organize the printed pages.

Don't know if you have gsak but if you do, just do your printing there. You can sort the waypoints on several different criteria prior to printing. There is also a handy 'summary' grid that you can sort as well and print.

Transfer the waypoints to a mapping application and print that, then you can hunt for caches by their geographic groupings, very fuel efficient. :D:D:D

Ok... I'm reading this thread and seeing the many "Please fix this", "this doesn't work and makes me mad", etc...

When I make these changes, I test them on all grade A browsers. Grade A browsers are: IE 7, Firefox 2.x, Opera 9.x and Safari for Mac & XP.

I test all those browsers on various caches and fix the bugs as I see them appear. So, when issues like the ones that are being reported come up, if you don't tell me what browser you're using and what cache this is happening on, it really does me no good and doesn't help me "fix" or find a solution any faster.

So, please please please, if you report an error provide some basic information in your post: Operating System, Browser and Browser version number. If the error is happening on a cache, then give me either the URL or the GC number of the cache.

Thanks,

Raine

Fair enough.

My complaint is that the 'Print Friendly' version of the cache page no longer features the option to show the last five online logs.

I use computers at home, at work and at dozens of different hotel business centers. Multiple operating systems, multiple browsers, multiple versions. The logs are unavailable on the Print Friendly page no matter what setup I use, therefore I'm fairly convinced that the operating system / browser combination is not relevant to the problem.

I really don't want to sound whiny, but I've posted several reminders about this issue in this thread, all of which have been ignored. Can someone in the know please tell me if this issue is even being considered for repair?

As I have said before, it sure would be nice to be able to once again conveniently print out the last five logs the way we used to. It seems to me that the logs are among the more critical elements on the cache page. I really miss that function. The work around described below is okay as a temporary fix, but I am still hoping for a return to the old functionality.

(If there continues to be no answer from the nice (but obviously very busy) Groundspeak folks, does anyone know if there is another avenue for requesting news on the status of such a repair?)

You can get the old print-friendly pages with a little URL magic. Pull up a cache page. Click in the location bar near the top of your browser, the one that shows "http://www.geocaching.com/...". Position your text cursor at the end and type the five characters &pf=y then press ENTER.

Thanks!! That works great!! :D

That'll hold me until the "Make this page print-friendly (show 5 logs)" option finally returns.

Any word on the status of that repair? :)

It sure would be nice to be able to once again conveniently print out the last five logs the way we used to. It seems to me that the logs are among the more critical elements on the cache page.

Can we have them back soon? Please? :)

Well? Any news?

I suuuuuure do miss that function. :)

[Yet another cautiously optimistic thread bump, six months later.]

The 'Print Friendly' version of the cache page no longer features the option to show the last five online logs. It would be nice to be able to once again conveniently print out the last five logs the way we used to. It seems to me that the most recent logs are very informative in many ways, and are therefore among the more critical elements on the cache page. I really miss that function. It was left off the 'new' version of the Print Friendly page; my assumption is that the omission was unintentional – am I right? The work around klossner described is okay as a temporary fix, but it is a real pain to have to do it that way, and I am still hoping for a return to the old functionality.

Any news on reinstating this very convenient feature? Is a fix even being considered?

My first choice would be to hear that it is going to be repaired at some point. :)

My second choice would be to hear that it will not be repaired :D, including a brief explanation why it will not be repaired. :)

A continuation of the 'no response at all' response would be my very, very, very last choice. :)

Copy and paste, copy and paste, copy and paste. I open "Works", then start copying and pasting every cache I plan on visiting. Then I go to what I have pasted and start editing. First, I go through and cut out what I don't need, then I reduce the font size. I have been able to put as many and 6 caches (sometimes even more but this is the amount I usually end up with), on one page. The only trouble with doing it this way are the maps. But if I choose to keep a map, I just print it out on a separate page.

This way does take a little more time. But it does save lots of paper, and makes it easer for me to walk with only one sheet, rather than a small book of sheets.

The 'Print Friendly' version of the cache page no longer features the option to show the last five online logs. It would be nice to be able to once again conveniently print out the last five logs the way we used to. It seems to me that the most recent logs are very informative in many ways, and are therefore among the more critical elements on the cache page. I really miss that function. It was left off the 'new' version of the Print Friendly page; my assumption is that the omission was unintentional – am I right? The work around klossner described is okay as a temporary fix, but it is a real pain to have to do it that way, and I am still hoping for a return to the old functionality.

Any news on reinstating this very convenient feature? Is a fix even being considered?

My first choice would be to hear that it is going to be repaired at some point. :)

My second choice would be to hear that it will not be repaired :), including a brief explanation why it will not be repaired. :)

A continuation of the 'no response at all' response would be my very, very, very last choice. :)

I notice that the link to the printer friendly page does say (no logs) at the end. This would lead me to believe that the change was intentional. As to why, I would have no idea since I don't see how it could be anything other than length. Some of the descriptions are long enough to push it over one page long, so including logs shouldn't matter in my opinion. Personally, I cache paperless, so I have no experience with it. Just thought I would mention that it looks intentional.

I notice that the link to the printer friendly page does say (no logs) at the end. This would lead me to believe that the change was intentional.

A reasonable conclusion ... unless one remembers the previous setup. Yes, the link is labeled "Make this page print-friendly (no logs)," but it has always been this way, even when it appeared as a link to the previous print-friendly version – the one that used to provide the last-five-logs option.

Clicking on it used to bring up a no-logs version of the print-friendly page; this previous no-logs version then contained a link labeled "Make this page print-friendly (show 5 logs)." Further clicking on the links would toggle between the no-logs version and the five-logs version.

As to why, I would have no idea since I don't see how it could be anything other than length. Some of the descriptions are long enough to push it over one page long, so including logs shouldn't matter in my opinion.

The present version of the print-friendly page allows users to choose whether to show or hide many of the pages other features, individually, before printing. This makes the page very customizable, allowing for paper saving when certain info is not needed. Presumably the latest five logs, if they are ever brought back, will be switchable on/off as well.

Including the logs does matter in my opinion, and should be reinstated as an option. One can gain a variety of interesting, helpful and sometime very important information by reading recent cache page logs. Has the cache been found recently? What is the date of the most recent posting? Were many of the last five logs DNFs? Has anyone posted new coords? If the encrypted hint doesn’t help, is there maybe a better hint in someone's log? Is there some recent and specific issue affecting the cache that the owner has not yet documented in his description?

Personally, I cache paperless, so I have no experience with it. Just thought I would mention that it looks intentional.

I’m guessing it was UNintentional. I further believe there was no justification for the feature to have been completely removed even if the removal was intentional, and for the reason stated above.

Presently the cache's description, hint, attributes and map can be printed or hidden at the discretion of the user. It is therefore reasonable to assume that the last five logs could be set up similarly; anyone who wishes not to print the logs could simply switch them off with a single mouse click before printing.

If the last-five-logs option IS brought back, it wouldn’t matter to me which version (logs displayed vs. logs hidden) is set as the default. I just want to have the choice again. The current work-around is clunky and annoying.

As to why, I would have no idea since I don't see how it could be anything other than length. Some of the descriptions are long enough to push it over one page long, so including logs shouldn't matter in my opinion.

The present version of the print-friendly page allows users to choose whether to show or hide many of the pages other features, individually, before printing. This makes the page very customizable, allowing for paper saving when certain info is not needed. Presumably the latest five logs, if they are ever brought back, will be switchable on/off as well.

Including the logs does matter in my opinion, and should be reinstated as an option. One can gain a variety of interesting, helpful and sometime very important information by reading recent cache page logs. Has the cache been found recently? What is the date of the most recent posting? Were many of the last five logs DNFs? Has anyone posted new coords? If the encrypted hint doesn’t help, is there maybe a better hint in someone's log? Is there some recent and specific issue affecting the cache that the owner has not yet documented in his description?

I'm sorry, you misunderstood me here. I meant that I didn't see a reason for them not to include the logs as the description could be long anyway. What I was trying to say was that since it would probably take more than one page anyway, there was no reason not to add any more information in order to safe space. I agree that past logs are VERY useful.

edited for quote brackets...

Edited by Nakedbamboo
I'm sorry, you misunderstood me here. I meant that I didn't see a reason for them not to include the logs as the description could be long anyway. What I was trying to say was that since it would probably take more than one page anyway, there was no reason not to add any more information in order to safe space. I agree that past logs are VERY useful.

Gotcha. Sorry for the misinterpretation.

Sounds like we agree! :)

Thanks,

Raine

Fair enough.

Thanks!! That works great!! B)

Any word on the status of that repair? B)

Can we have them back soon? Please? :D

Well? Any news?

I suuuuuure do miss that function. :P

My first choice would be to hear that it is going to be repaired at some point. :D

My second choice would be to hear that it will not be repaired :P, including a brief explanation why it will not be repaired. :o

A continuation of the 'no response at all' response would be my very, very, very last choice. B)

Bump. :D

Intersting.. just saw this thread today.

I just pushed out some new updates. One of them is a new Print Friendly Page.

You can reorder sections and show/hide them before you print. There is also an option to set the zoom level of the map.

Take a look: http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...2a-39a7108c0102

-Raine

Hiding the sections is neat!

Showing them again causes my MSIE to crash and close. I've tried it on multiple cache pages and it did it every time.

What version of IE?

It works fine in Opera 9, IE 7, Safari XP and FireFox 2 and 3.0 beta

-Raine

Sorry, was out of the office yesterday.

I use IE 6, and it's still crashing whenever I show a section that has been hidden.

It still crashes IE 6 if a section is opened after closing it.

Hello.... I'm new to Geocaching, and have been looking for a way to print "Friendly Pages" that include that last 5 or 10 logs, and stumbled upon this thread.

There was a LOT of talk and requests to have the Friendly Page with Logs again, but it seems as though Raine never ever replied to that request or whether it would be fixed.

It's nearly a year after this thread original started, and I see that you still CANNOT print the Friendly Page with the last 5 or 10 logs on it.

Has this already been fixed, and I just missed the way to do it?

If not, can Raine or someone please address this? Seems like a relatively easy thing that was unintentionally missed when the new Printer Friendly page was created??

Thanks....

We have plans to add 5 logs to the print friendly page again, but other priorities have prevented us from adding the feature thus far. All I can say for now is that the feature will return when the devs have the time.

Oh and Mushtang, I will look into the crashing. Thanks.

Edited by OpinioNate

You can still use the old, friendlier, print-friendly pages. When you're looking at a cache page, click on the end of the URL and add this:

&pf=y&log=10

That will get you 10 logs. Change "10" to whatever number you like, or "y" for all logs.

For example, when I look at my favorite cache, the URL is

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=d8d2ae34-9a55-4cf0-bcea-5f7c5c875bce

Change it to

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=d8d2ae34-9a55-4cf0-bcea-5f7c5c875bce&pf=y&log=10

Normally I would mention that adding "&decrypt=y" decrypts all the encrypted text, but that stopped working with the last major update. This is seriously harshing my buzz.

You can still use the old, friendlier, print-friendly pages. When you're looking at a cache page, click on the end of the URL and add this:

&pf=y&log=10

That will get you 10 logs. Change "10" to whatever number you like, or "y" for all logs.

For example, when I look at my favorite cache, the URL is

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=d8d2ae34-9a55-4cf0-bcea-5f7c5c875bce

Change it to

http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_details.aspx?guid=d8d2ae34-9a55-4cf0-bcea-5f7c5c875bce&pf=y&log=10

Normally I would mention that adding "&decrypt=y" decrypts all the encrypted text, but that stopped working with the last major update. This is seriously harshing my buzz.

First : The distance from the home coordinates are visible again. :D

second : You can't hide parts of the view :)

third : On the right side you get the map i don't need there :)

fourth : The "&decrypt=y" workes fine for me. :D

Afterall a nice feature but not what I am looking for.....