Going for numbers

Yes, yes! I know its not about the numbers :rolleyes: ..... BUT...

Myself and another cacher have a day off at the end ofthe month to go out and find as many as we can in a day (none of this mad 24hr stuff, just a normal waking day). I wondered if anyone had any suggestions of an area within a resonable distance of Basingstoke that was dense enough to get great numbers? How many would be a 'good' or 'great' day (my current record is 17 on an amble around London)?

Also any hints or tips to how to maximise finds and minimise travel would be much appreciated!

:rolleyes: Cheers.

Without wishing to publicise our own caches (we've set a few :rolleyes: ) try around Purley on Thames, Pangbourne, Goring on Thames, Streatley and west of Reading generally. Other prolific cache setters around here are Daisy&Me, Subarite, The Teddies - just off the top of my head, there will be others I have omitted, apologies to them but I have to go and cook! :rolleyes: Good luck :rolleyes:

Edited by The Cache Hoppers

Must admit that we found Newbury and the surrounding area last weekend quite saturated, with great different sorts of areas, canals, commons, woods and nature reserves brimming with caches. Again The Teddies and Daisy & Me have been quite busy. An enjoyable visit was had that's for sure. Talking numbers does anyone have a top ten of saturated places within the UK? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Edited by Gralorn

Must admit that we found Newbury and the surrounding area last weekend quite cache saturated, with great different sorts of areas, canals, commons, woods and nature reserves brimming with caches. Again The Teddies and Daisy & Me have been quite busy. An enjoyable visit was had that's for sure. Talking numbers does anyone have a top ten of saturated places within the UK? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

On a slightly different forum I've been working on a new rating system. So don't caount the numbers do the maths.

Cache Difficulty (1-5 as listed)

Terrain (1-5 as listed)

Scarcity (1 loads within 10km, 5 only this cache with 10km)

Distance to Next cache (1 < 1km, 5>50km)

Age in Years of cache (1 per year to max of 5)

Add an extra two for a new county or region

Add another three for a new country

Volume (1-Nano, 5 Large Ammo Type)

Time since previous find (1 per month up to 5)

Distance to nearest road (1 per mile/km up to 5)

Age of cacher (1 for <30, up to 5>70)

Vegetation Interaction (1 for no vegetation, 5 fell out of tree)

Animal Interaction (1 no animals, 5 eaten by croc)

That should make you think if you really want good numbers.

Good Luck

Yes, yes! I know its not about the numbers :rolleyes: ..... BUT...

Myself and another cacher have a day off at the end ofthe month to go out and find as many as we can in a day (none of this mad 24hr stuff, just a normal waking day). I wondered if anyone had any suggestions of an area within a resonable distance of Basingstoke that was dense enough to get great numbers? How many would be a 'good' or 'great' day (my current record is 17 on an amble around London)?

Also any hints or tips to how to maximise finds and minimise travel would be much appreciated!

:rolleyes: Cheers.

I think the densest area closest to you is probably Oxford, especially on foot. If you have a bike so much the better!

As others have said Newbury is rich too - and there are the canal trails to consider (one of those near Oxford too :rolleyes:

Have you done the SP Series in Swinley Forest? Or the Silent Sentries in Minley and Hawley? Not to mention the Common Caches in Minley and Hawley? Presumably you have or you'd have clocked onto these straight away. They're all great caches, which involve sometimes long, but extremely rewarding walks - they make you feel like you've really achieved something rather than just grabbing as many caches as you can. :)

Ok, so I see you haven't (having now looked at your profile :) )

Starting with the SP Series - here's a waypoint to start with (SP1) http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...52-b4d7bbaf4942

Then the Common Caches (this one is 'Common Cache) http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...08-c79cb8016c4a

Then the Silent Sentries (this is Silent Sentry 1) http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...fd-8c4bc9c64849

Finally the Sunninghistory series (this is No. 1) http://www.geocaching.com/seek/cache_detai...a2-e12ee7fa24b8

Lots of numbers to be got - and lots of walking too!

Good luck :)

(Edited to make the darn links work!!!!! :) )

Edited by 4 Badgers

Cheers folks. I'd thought Newbury was looking good, and i've done several of the central Oxford ones so I think Newbury it'll be.

I'll take a look at the other suggestions as they sound like they will make a nice days caching for a weekend sometime.

As a thought Penwood just south of Newbury has a fair few caches and is a great woodland walk or bike area - especially if you want some shade

Did all the Penwood caches last weekend, both sides of the road with the exception of 'Final Battle' which looked a little too complicated for the day. Was really hot and sunny and the woods were a delight for that bit of shade, although it was at times most humid. Some great caches though, certainly tests your GPS in tree cover! Always fancied the Oxford canal series, but like all canals the further that you walk along gathering caches, the same distance has to be walked back to the car. Would be probably best to do a two car job, but that's a bit extreme when there is only two of you.:):)

A while ago (just checked - it was Sept 2005), when planning a walk along the Kennet & Avon canal I came across a pdf map somewhere on the net showing LOADs of caches along a stretch of this canal.

I've just had a quick search and I can't find it, and anyway it would now be out of date, but I bet if you did a "caches along a route" search on the K&A canal you would get loads.

Another nice aspect of the K&A (between Newbury & Reading at least) is that it roughly follows the railway, so you can be super-ethical and go by train :) or you could park near a station, walk out to another station and get the train back to your starting position - no retracing your steps.

I keep meaning to do an up to date bookmark list of K&A caches. I did start one, then someone kindly let me know that there were more to add, and so I took it off public view - CBA attitude :) If you click on one of Daisy&Me's K&A caches, you can see a map on there which shows quite a lot of them. Is there someone out there who can find the time to do a bookmark list? Or one of them route thingies that I can't get the hang of. :lol::DB)

By the way this is my 700th post - no congrats necessary :D

I keep meaning to do an up to date bookmark list of K&A caches. I did start one, then someone kindly let me know that there were more to add, and so I took it off public view - CBA attitude B) If you click on one of Daisy&Me's K&A caches, you can see a map on there which shows quite a lot of them. Is there someone out there who can find the time to do a bookmark list? Or one of them route thingies that I can't get the hang of. :lol::):D

By the way this is my 700th post - no congrats necessary :D

Lianne, I've just made public a 'Route' along the Kennet & Avon I did about a month and a half ago. I have no idea how you access it. It is called 'Kenett and Avon' - note spelling (I think it's wrong but that's what I called it).

Perhaps someone can suggest how liane can find it as I cannot find it under the 'Public Routes' button ???

Perhaps someone can suggest how liane can find it as I cannot find it under the 'Public Routes' button ???

I suspec t that either you our the GC.com website did something wrong in trying to list it as public as I can't find it either.

I did a keyword search on "Avon" (best avoid kennett/kenet/kennet/kenett) and found only two routes, neither of which are yours:

Kennet and Avon Canal Ride by KiwiGary

Kennet + Avon Canal - Bath to Newbury by Winscombe Wanderers

Both of these are to the West of Newbury

I always have terrible trouble getting to the routes page, it's so hard to navigate to. Premium Features -> create your pocket queries -> find caches along a route -> find public routes -> Search by keyword.

Is there a better way?

The quick way is, I think, just to go here:

http://www.geocaching.com/my/userroutes.aspx

PS I think all this stuff is premium members only.

Edited to add:

PPS the map of caches I referred to in my previous post can be found here: GCNV6B

Edited by Team Sieni

I suspec t that either you our the GC.com website did something wrong in trying to list it as public as I can't find it either.

I did a keyword search on "Avon" (best avoid kennett/kenet/kennet/kenett) and found only two routes, neither of which are yours:

Kennet and Avon Canal Ride by KiwiGary

Kennet + Avon Canal - Bath to Newbury by Winscombe Wanderers

Both of these are to the West of Newbury

I always have terrible trouble getting to the routes page, it's so hard to navigate to. Premium Features -> create your pocket queries -> find caches along a route -> find public routes -> Search by keyword.

Is there a better way?

The quick way is, I think, just to go here:

http://www.geocaching.com/my/userroutes.aspx

PS I think all this stuff is premium members only.

Edited to add:

PPS the map of caches I referred to in my previous post can be found here: GCNV6B

I've found it all through the same way as you! Not sure that there is a better way or not. I've set up a PQ using KiwiGarys' route. Looks about right for a day so looking forward to that!

Thanks for everyones suggestions. They are all going on the To-Do list!