Biting Insects Attribute

moop

I've visited and placed caches in locations that are prone to mosquitos and other biting insects. I've found many topics and posts on this subject but we still only have the Ticks attribute available. We have generic attributes available for Poison Plants, Thorns and Snakes but only the over-specific Ticks one available for biting insects. I've seen suggestions of Bug Spray Required but I don't feel this is suitable as some eschew its use and it shouldn't be used on small children. With the danger of West Nile and other insect-born diseases I believe there is a real need for this change.

I think you might be expecting a little too much from the attributes. Only 10 of them are allowed per cache and that can't always cover all the possible hazards. If you are highly allergic to certain insect bites or seriously worried about West Nile etc, then the informal opinion of a cache placer probably shouldn't be what guides you in your choice of which caches to attempt.

If a placer fails to put "biting insects" and you get bitten, I suspect your legal recourses are limited. OTOH if every cache placer who sees a mosquito at dusk near the cache site adds this attribute, it will be like those warnings saying "Nut Allergy Sufferers: We can't guarantee that this lettuce doesn't contain nuts. There, now you can't sue us".

As StarBrand's post hinted (to me, anyway :rolleyes:), the attributes are probably best reserved for things which one shouldn't be able to assume might very likely be present anyway.

You're most likely to come across mosquitos at all caches unless they are indoors. We really don't need another attribute for something that is common knowledge. (at least for us outdoor types) Mosquitos are everywhere, so is dirt, sand, leaves, etc... know what I mean?

Yes, yes, you all make good points but perhaps I should be more clear. :rolleyes: Attributes are intended to help someone decide whether or not they want to tackle a geocache. Believe it or not, not all caches are in locations where insects are a problem. The owner's description and satellite photos often aren't enough to determine this. We have generic warnings available for other hazards, why not this? I've rarely seen a listing that uses all 10 attribute slots available and those that do could easily be culled IMHO. :rolleyes:

The owner's description and satellite photos often aren't enough to determine this.

That would have to be a heck of a satellite / aerial photo to spot a mosquito :rolleyes:

I don't see a huge problem in having another icon, but then someone will want them for different kinds of insects, etc etc. Also, for caches placed during 6 months of the year, the owner may be blissfully unaware (but then I guess that goes for ticks too).

I think you might be expecting a little too much from the attributes. Only 10 of them are allowed per cache and that can't always cover all the possible hazards. If you are highly allergic to certain insect bites or seriously worried about West Nile etc, then the informal opinion of a cache placer probably shouldn't be what guides you in your choice of which caches to attempt.

If a placer fails to put "biting insects" and you get bitten, I suspect your legal recourses are limited. OTOH if every cache placer who sees a mosquito at dusk near the cache site adds this attribute, it will be like those warnings saying "Nut Allergy Sufferers: We can't guarantee that this lettuce doesn't contain nuts. There, now you can't sue us".

As StarBrand's post hinted (to me, anyway :)), the attributes are probably best reserved for things which one shouldn't be able to assume might very likely be present anyway.

I relaize that in some parts of the country that mosquitos are an all time thing, but in others they are situational. Why can't there be a list of icons simular to clickable smiles that we can put in the listing? I know that several people have wished for a fishing icon....etc..

In MN, and WI - putting a biting insects attribute on a cache would be redundant.

Any place not covered in blacktop or conrete has biting insects of one kind or another about 9 months

of each year. Gnats, mosquitos, flies, bees, wasps, hornets, deer flies, horse flies......

Especially at sundown. Maybe the attribute could have a sunset backround with a huge 'skeeter in the middle?

I think someone has an avatar like that.....hmm....

Although it would be useful, I think it would add clutter to that area.

Ive put it in my page desription, and suggest bug spray, etc-

I don't biting insects. But what about stinging insects? I don't like stinging insects either. To be honest, earwigs and silverfish kinda creep me out too. And gnats really bug me when I run into a swarm of them on a vigorous bike ride. Oh, and my wife hates spiders. Some of them bite, but they're arachnids, not insects. How would I know if a cache might have biting arachnids?

I know it would be a lot of trouble but you could always just type "MOSQUITO ALERT" or something similar in the cache description if it is really that important.... B) Although cachers who do not know how to read may just have to get mosquito bitten....

I think it could be expanded to non flying biting insects, but it really should be in the description as the precautions you would take for ticks is different than you would for black widows. (I have seen both this season.) I agree with the comments of others that including mosquito would not be useful as it would generally apply to the entire region, where as ticks only apply if to get to the cache you have to walk through vegetation where ticks live.