I'm a baaaad geomommy

mamid

My toddler, almost preschooler, has some problems with her teeth - genetic, I swear because I had similar problems at her age. Anyway, she's going into surgery today to fix them.

So what am I doing?

I'm looking up potential caches to go for while she's in surgery. :rolleyes:

bad mommy. step away from the gps and no one gets hurt.

the worst part about it is that the ones where she's having her surgery are either all micros or a multi. The one that is at least a "small" is just out of my justification range. :rolleyes:

Edited by mamid

So what am I doing?

It doesn't sound at all like you're a bad mommy to me. It sounds like you've found a good way to keep your mind off of what is happening.

She's going to be just fine I'm sure, but if you're likely to sit in the waiting room and worry yourself sick about worst case, then you're definitely doing the right thing. Stay happy, keep your mind clear, and be back in time to meet her in recovery with a smile on your face.

So what am I doing?

It doesn't sound at all like you're a bad mommy to me. It sounds like you've found a good way to keep your mind off of what is happening.

She's going to be just fine I'm sure, but if you're likely to sit in the waiting room and worry yourself sick about worst case, then you're definitely doing the right thing. Stay happy, keep your mind clear, and be back in time to meet her in recovery with a smile on your face.

I do knit and I have my project I am currently working on with me.

and I'll have the baby too. she's too young not to come with us.

The preschooler, soon to be kindergartener, is staying at home with a sitter. Speaking of which, need to wake the two of them up.

In a couple of weeks I have to fly some way to see my mother. It's one of those "I have to go and see my mother" visits.

Fortunately, I have been able to time it so that I will pass a lunchtime cache event on the way there on Saturday, and if I stay two nights and fly back on Monday I will have fulfilled my filial obligations.

Now my dilemma is whether to tell /a/ my mother or /b/ my wife - who doesn't want me to make a 3-day weekend of the trip - that I'm not just going for the guilt trip. If I don't, I will have to invent a "plane was delayed" story. That's not hard to make plausible, but even so, I feel I'm starting to push my own ethical limitations. Maybe I should just have an affair, that would probably be simpler. :rolleyes:

Nope not a bad mommy, just a committed geocacher. I'm sure most of us have a similar story to share.

-there was the time I pulled over for a rest stop micro on the way to a black tie wedding-in the winter with slush all over the roads, and then got the other one across the highway on the way home

-there was the time I was heading to New Orleans to help my brother clean up his home post-Katrina and I ran a PQ for caches near him-we did go find one

-I've got a current PQ in the expectation of heading to NJ for a family member's funeral any day now

Nope, either you are pretty normal for these parts, or we are all nuts. :rolleyes:

Edited by wimseyguy

In April I went to Seattle for some surgery. While I was "out" Dean went caching on the nearby Uniersity campus and found 3 caches, had a wonderful walk and lunch, then made it back to the waiting room in time to meet the nurses who were looking for him to give an update.

The next day we flew home and he was kind enough to park me within 15 feet of a cache so I could find something that day.

:)

Worst thing- I'm the obsessed one!

You are not bad, caching is a good way to distract oneself from the worries of the world!

:)

-J

Daughter went through surgery perfectly. She's now out cold in my bed sleeping off the anesthetic and the lack of sleep from last night.

The funniest part was that someone was reading the shirt I stole from hubby. "Give Blood! Go Geocaching!" He asked "what's geocaching?" and I tried to explain it but just so flustered cause no one has ever asked me before. Its usually more me explaining why I'm walking around looking like I'm lost.

And yes, I found the one cache I picked out. It was a micro.

Edited by mamid

OMG :)

-I thought I was the only one. (GLad to hear all went well) We are headed from Florida to NEbraska next week for a major surgery for my three year old who will be casted from the wasit down and I'm busy trying to find the cache's that are closest to the interstate so we don't miss any.

I've been thinking do you think they would think I was strange if I hid caches in the hospital? I think that would be a great way to spread the word about geocaching.

Daughter went through surgery perfectly. She's now out cold in my bed sleeping off the anesthetic and the lack of sleep from last night.

The funniest part was that someone was reading the shirt I stole from hubby. "Give Blood! Go Geocaching!" He asked "what's geocaching?" and I tried to explain it but just so flustered cause no one has ever asked me before. Its usually more me explaining why I'm walking around looking like I'm lost.

Good news indeed!!! (both outcomes!!)

OMG :)

-I thought I was the only one. (GLad to hear all went well) We are headed from Florida to NEbraska next week for a major surgery for my three year old who will be casted from the wasit down and I'm busy trying to find the cache's that are closest to the interstate so we don't miss any.

I've been thinking do you think they would think I was strange if I hid caches in the hospital? I think that would be a great way to spread the word about geocaching.

I would clear it with the head of security for the hospital first.

Besides, if you hid it inside the building, the GPSr wouldn't be of much good, would it?

Overall, I don't think a hospital is a good place for us to be snooping around!

I just want to know where you got the shirt!

I just want to know where you got the shirt!

You'd have to ask Agassiz Angel about that. She was running a meet and it was one of the prizes.

I hope that doesn't make you a bad Mommy, because then I would have to consider myself a bad Mommy for leaving my daughter at daycare for an extra two hours after I am done working so that I can hunt a few micros (she only likes the "big ones with toys").

Glad to hear your daughter is okay.

I have one of those "family" things next month, and believe me, I am going to find some caches around there (I've never cached in Minnesota) to keep myself sane -- I hate crowds and we are going to have 7 adults and six children crammed into a tiny house for three days. Yikes! Even if I end up taking all six kids with me, at least I can get out of the house!

That reminds me, I had better start working on my "caches along the route."

I looked for caches around my old home town when my granny got sick and died. not that I could have gone to her funeral - I was way too pregnant and my doctor refused to certify me to fly.

I was also thinking about planting a cache at my favorite park when I was growing up there. but not going to happen. I don't think I'll ever be back there anytime soon.

Would i be a bad Geodaddy if on the day my son is born I left the hospital to go try and get a F.T.F.? If one came out that same day. Hes due in less then a week...

I can't imagine missing the birth of my son for anything. But if this like #10 for you and you and your wife have it down to science, it could be different. It's probably a question only you can answer.

Would i be a bad Geodaddy if on the day my son is born I left the hospital to go try and get a F.T.F.? If one came out that same day. Hes due in less then a week...

That would DEFINITELY a BAD GEODADDY. Don't forget, the GEOMOMMY still has hormones racing through her body...she might kill you if you are not diligently and faithfully by her side. Hope you have life insurance.

Sorry, let me clarify what I meant: After she gave birth!!! not while she was. I'm not that stupid, I don't want to DIE at the hands of a hormone crazed female. I don't want to think of the kind of pain she would lay down on me for leaving during the middle of birth

I've used geocaching to delay going to a funeral (that was a pretty easy decision, actually) but I still ended up getting there just before the service started. I think my wife would kill me if I'd attempt to leave the hospital while one of our children was under the knife though. I wouldn't be so brave as to even attempt it. Would I rather be hunting a cache? Yes. But if my son or daughter needed me and I wasn't there.... ;)

Sorry, let me clarify what I meant: After she gave birth!!! not while she was. I'm not that stupid, I don't want to DIE at the hands of a hormone crazed female. I don't want to think of the kind of pain she would lay down on me for leaving during the middle of birth

;)

You had us worried there genegene!Head line of the Washington,Mass local paper-

"Geocachers find body parts in several local caches." :D:D