WSGA 2007 Summer Campout

Half-Canadian

Just a reminder to mark your calendars for August 17-18 so you don't miss the 2007 WSGA campout, to be held this year in sunny Port Townsend. This year's campout promises to be better than ever, with new activities, a custom trackable event geocoin, great food and lots of fun for all ages!

The cache page for the event has just been updated with a preliminary schedule of events and more information on registration for the event 2007 WSGA Campout

Check it out, make your plans to tent or RV, or stay in one of the area motels or B&B's -- but whatever you do, you won't want to miss this great event!

The cache page will be updated with more information as the date gets closer, so check back often! Hope to see you all there!!

Half-Canadian

WSGA President

Just a reminder to mark your calendars for August 17-18 so you don't miss the 2007 WSGA campout, to be held this year in sunny Port Townsend. This year's campout promises to be better than ever, with new activities, a custom trackable event geocoin, great food and lots of fun for all ages!

The cache page for the event has just been updated with a preliminary schedule of events and more information on registration for the event 2007 WSGA Campout

Check it out, make your plans to tent or RV, or stay in one of the area motels or B&B's -- but whatever you do, you won't want to miss this great event!

The cache page will be updated with more information as the date gets closer, so check back often! Hope to see you all there!!

Half-Canadian

WSGA President

What is the price to pitch a tent?

Tents are $18.00 per night for tents without a hookup (never seen a tent with a hookup, but I've lived a sheltered life).

Things with hookups are $20.00 per night.

The cache page will be updated soon to include the latest information including the registration page. :D;)

Edited by Allanon

Tents are $18.00 per night for tents without a hookup

Ouch!

Used to be that poor people could afford to go tent camping and RV's were for rich folks. Now it seems like hiking and camping are only for the well to do. State parks seem to really be catering to the RV's these days. Some state parks don't have tent sites and everyone pays the RV price. The National Forest and the DNR still seem to cater to tent campers though.

Edited by luckykoi

Ouch!

Used to be that poor people could afford to go tent camping and RV's were for rich folks. Now it seems like hiking and camping are only for the well to do. State parks seem to really be catering to the RV's these days. Some state parks don't have tent sites and everyone pays the RV price. The National Forest and the DNR still seem to cater to tent campers though.

Even regular campgrounds with only 'pit' toilets (no showers) are $17.00 per night.

Is it more than when we were children...yes. But then again everything is. It's still cheaper than staying in a hotel/motel room.

Ouch!

Even regular campgrounds with only 'pit' toilets (no showers) are $17.00 per night.

Is it more than when we were children...yes. But then again everything is. It's still cheaper than staying in a hotel/motel room.

Forest Service campgrounds generally charge $5-10 for a tent. DNR campgrounds generally are free. The DNR has a really nice free campground on the Lyre River outside of Joyce.

ONP charges $12.00 for a tent site or at least they did last year.

A million dollar home is cheaper then a two million dollar home, it's all relative of course.

Bump! The campout is just over a month away, and promises to be the best yet!

Please be sure to register now, using the paypal link HERE or on the campout's cache page. Your timely registration will let us know how many people to plan for in organizing the various activities we will have available for you to choose from.

Your registration fee includes a custom enamel campout pin, goodie bag, and Saturday night dinner. There are also limited-edition event coins, trackable on geocaching.com, that will be available for sale at the event -- only $5.00 for members, $7.00 for non-members.

Don't like the idea of camping? If you're in western Washington, come on over for the day! Hop on a ferry, join us for a day of fun and a great dinner, and catch a moonlit ferry ride back home afterward.

FAQ:

Q: Do I need to be a WSGA member to attend the campout?

A: Absolutely not -- everyone is welcome...although we'd love to have you join the WSGA!

Q: How do I pay for my camping spot?

A: You'll pay for your camping fees at the WSGA registration table when you arrive at the campout.

Q: Are families welcome?

A: Absolutely! We'll have 'smores around a bonfire to welcome everyone on Friday night, and have special activities and prizes planned for kids on Saturday after dinner.

Q: Are there bathrooms available?

A: Yes -- there is a nice restroom building right next to our camping area, with free hot showers available for campers. There is also a free RV dumpstation onsite.

Q: What about cooking meals?

A: We will have the use of a building with commercial kitchen and plenty of tables and chairs for the weekend for the Saturday dinner and the Sunday morning pancake breakfast.

Any other questions? Post them here and I'll add them to the list.

Hope to see everyone in Port Townsend next month!

Half-Canadian and Scooter the Wonder Dog ^_^

Cache Dance asked if anyone was going to bring musical instruments. I have a pretty decent Yamaha keyboard which runs on batteries or AC power that I plan to bring, but I don't want to be the only one there playing. I'm no musician, trust me. I can, however, play by ear, and my keyboard has a transpose function, so chances are good I can play along with your guitar or whatever else you might have.

I haven't been camping in years and years...I am so looking forward to being here. :rolleyes:

I've updated the cache page again with a sign-up list of various tasks where we'll need helpers during the weekend, including manning the registration table, cooking, and helping with the kid's fun and games, along with other chores. Please visit the cache page and check out the list, then post a note to the page indicating where you'll be able to help out -- many hands make light work!

Thanks in advance for everyone who will be able to help make this campout a successful event!

We will be spending the week after the campout and the following weekend on the Olympic Peninsula. I am also hoping to take the ferry to Victoria for an overnighter but I need to have a place to park our tent trailer while we are in Canada. Any one out there between Port Townsend and Port Angeles have a parking spot we could use for couple of days?

This is my first WSGA campout, and I'm in process of registering. I don't just register and pay for myself, I need to pay for me, husband & child - is that correct? I'm assuming I pay $6 for me (WSGA member), $8 for my husband & $8 for my 4 year old (non-members)....right?

Any chance of a CITO at this year's campout? I'd be glad to help organize one - I thought the one we did last year at Chelan was great, and we'd have plenty o' folks to help do it.

I know a few folks who were hoping for one to get that coveted CITO icon for the Well-Rounded Challenge. :) (Natch, it would have to be listed as a sep event for that.)

If it's a possibility and ya wants me to help organize, somebody email me.

Just curious...What's the capacity at the RV/trailer hook-ups area? A little worried with the large turnout expected & husband wants hookups.

The fairgrounds has assured me that they would be able to accommodate any size group -- I initially gave them an estimate of 20 RV's and 30-40 tents but they told me if more came they would just keep expanding the area that had allocated for us until everyone had a spot. No one else is booked in the group area for that weekend.

But she WILL be at Half Canadians birthday party/event on Sep. 8. She called this morning and has booked her flight. She will be in town from 9/4 until 9/9. YeeHaw!

Hmmm...I believe i'll be in town the 6th-9th....perhaps you can drag her Royal Pepperness over to see me...? You'll have to call and see where I am on the route!! :P

In order to allow time for the campout planning committee to complete their pre-campout preparations, the online pre-registration for the campout will be closed as of tonight, August 13.

You are still welcome to make plans to attend the campout, however you'll need to plan on paying for your campout registration at the sign-in table when you arrive on Friday (or Saturday) .

The weather looks good for the weekend, we've got a great program of activities for all ages, prizes galore, good food, and good company. Hope to see everyone there!

I'm hoping someone here will be able to help me out with this; I'd like to bring my bike to the campout but don't have any way to get it there. Allanon's driving me, and we'll have his car crammed full of camping gear. Ideas? Thanks.

Can't wait to see everyone. Can't wait to go campin'! I'm so excited! :D

Edited by Pyewacket

Anybody interested in hitting a few fire lookouts or highest caches either Friday or Sunday? In the general area of the campout, en route or as side trips. There are several to choose from. If so, post here or email me, I'm looking for some hiking buddies. :D

Edited by hydnsek

Adding a note now that the campout over:

I learned many things this weekend.

1. Food cooked in a casket tastes great.

2. There is a REASON that the Federation banned Romulan Ale

3. I now know what caused Zaphod Beeblebrox to grow two heads.

4. Paul Mua'Dib must have truly been the Kwisatz Haderach to survive injestion of the Water of Life.

4. Paul Mua'Dib must have truly been the Kwisatz Haderach to survive injestion of the Water of Life.

Oh my....sounds like we missed an interesting time! This summer has just sucked for us geocaching wise. Something always pops up when all the events are happening. Hopefully we'll make it next summer!

Anybody interested in hitting a few fire lookouts or highest caches either Friday or Sunday? In the general area of the campout, en route or as side trips. There are several to choose from. If so, post here or email me, I'm looking for some hiking buddies. :)

I wish I'd seen that earlier ~ I'm slow, but I don't stop. Or, I stop, but I get going again. I still don't have any logs for my cache that was the longer walk, but there was an awful lot to do and the weather wasn't good. Some other time? I haven't looked for a while, but if the Mount Jupiter cache is still there, I still want it, and it would take me from sunup to sundown. Or more. Be kind, I'm old enough to be your mother. However old you are.

Edited to say that we appear to have the same cat. Mine's named Salt and Pepper. If she likes you, and she likes everybody, just Pepper. I'm allergic to cats. She's in my lap.

Edited again to say mine doesn't read yet. We're working on "fetch". Or "eat". That one was easy.

Edited by bumblingbs

I have no idea what you're saying, but I have an idea you could talk to my son. Do you understand mealies (sp?) Arphus, Farsee-er blademaster, quilbors?

If so, get your bottom over here.

Uh-oh. The child says HE understands #4. All water is precious on Arrakis?