Premium Membership Exclusivities

From the Premium Membership Recruitment page:

Member Only Caches

Some caches are only available to Premium Members. This has been a request of many geocachers who want to put more energy into designing a cache for dedicated geocachers. As the cache owner, you can make any of your caches "subscriber only" so folks will need a subscription to seek it out. (Note: Member Only caches may not be any better than public geocaches. Each cache is managed by its cache owner.)

We are concerned about all the members-only caches popping up here and there. Not everyone (including myself) can afford or justify the $30 expense to sign on. In heavily-populated areas where this may not be such a problem, there tend to be many more caches available to general caching, with an occasional members-only cache. However, in areas such as the one I live in, with few people, and much fewer caches available, every members-only cache just serves to make geocaching cliquish and exclusive. With the price of gas these days, if we can't afford a $30 membership, we certainly can't afford to drive to other areas for newer caches!

My wife and I are "dedicated cachers." We try to get out at least once a weekend to find caches with a borrowed GPS. It's kind of insulting that the website that we all use to locate hides defines "dedicated cachers" as those who buy into premium membership.

So, enjoy the benefits of being a premium member, by all means. Enjoy the route-caching, the instant notification, the pocket queries, and the paperless caching, and more, which are a great value for the money! For the love of Mike though, please don't look down on "public" users because they don't have a membership (for whatever reason) by creating exclusive, cliquish caches.

Let's keep this sport fun and accessible to everyone!

I wouldn't take too much offence at the wording. Much of the text on the site was written in a hurry 6 years ago and has never been revisited. (I like the bit in the notification e-mails where it says "This is an automated message from Geocaching", period.) I'm quite sure that there is no intent to imply superiority. There are many reasons to put out PMOCs, many of them good, and all of them have been discussed to death in this forum many times.

That said, I looked at the caches near you (assuming your first-ever find is near your home). Of 171 caches, 15 are PMOCs, which is less than 10 percent. Frustrating, perhaps (although, by subscribing as a PM for a month ($3.00) you could get all of them), but hardly terminal to your caching prospects. :D

For the first several months after I found the GC.com site, I paid the $3.00 because I couldn't come up with the entire $30.00. Now, that $3.00 is less than a gallon of gas and seems like a bargain . . . except since gas has gone up, it is perhaps even less affordable . . . :D

The Members Only caches around here certainly aren't anything special. I know one guy who makes his caches MO for the first few months to encourage people to support the site, but then the cache is opened up to everyone. :D

Those 171 caches (a number of which have been marked unavailable plus the few members-only) are located within a fifty mile radius. Due to limited resources and topography, it is not economically feasible to travel beyond a 8-10 mile radius (as the crow flies, via roads it is often longer) from our home coordinates. There are only approximately 60-70 caches available to us within these limitations.

Gas prices here are much higher than the national average, so we tend to reserve driving for getting to-and-from school and work.

The point I wish to return to, however, is that by making certain caches available to those only part of the privileged "club," certain people are left out, and that makes it less fun. So like I said, enjoy all the other benefits of membership, but keep the caches available to everyone.

I guess I hear what you are saying but sort of funny to lament the cost of an activity that gives away 95% of the fun for free.

Also, I have a great solution - go out and place a new cache that is not members only!

[As an aside, I'd like to predict the appearance of a popcorn-eating smiley before this thread has run its course.]

Member Only Caches

Some caches are only available to Premium Members. This has been a request of many geocachers who want to put more energy into designing a cache for dedicated geocachers. As the cache owner, you can make any of your caches "subscriber only" so folks will need a subscription to seek it out. (Note: Member Only caches may not be any better than public geocaches. Each cache is managed by its cache owner.)

<snip>

NO -

I was a NPM for just over 2 years and I had plenty of fun as a NPM. There came a point in time where I decided that I felt I was personally using the site that to the point where I felt "obligated" to become a PM not just for my enjoyment but for EVERYONE.

I want to think that my "dues" go to the overall improvement of the site so everyone, including NPM's, can still have fun.

Don't get yourself stuck on the fact that you have to pay $30 to be a PM - in the long run you will be far better off. And hey, they take checks so you don't need a credit card or paypal.

I think the whole point of the 3 dollars a month or $30 a year is just to support the sport and the site. I like the idea of member's only caches because it helps get people on board to contribute.

I say if you're using the site for caching, you SHOULD pay for the service they're giving you; otherwise, you're just letting everyone else support it while you play for free.

Having said that, I understand some people can afford less than others or have tighter budgets. Hey, I'm not rich myself! I can scrape together 30 extra dollars a year no problem though. If you have less than 30 dollars of fun money for an entire year, something is definitely wrong.

Subtract ONE meal out during the year for you and your kids and hubby and BANG you just saved enough to pay for the year. It's really not that hard. Heck, go mow 2 yards in your neighborhood and you got it!

My wife and I are "dedicated cachers." We try to get out at least once a weekend to find caches with a borrowed GPS. It's kind of insulting that the website that we all use to locate hides defines "dedicated cachers" as those who buy into premium membership.

So, enjoy the benefits of being a premium member, by all means. Enjoy the route-caching, the instant notification, the pocket queries, and the paperless caching, and more, which are a great value for the money! For the love of Mike though, please don't look down on "public" users because they don't have a membership (for whatever reason) by creating exclusive, cliquish caches.

Exactly! I mean, after all, even though you're not a premium member, at least you're contributing to the sport by putting out caches of your own for others to find. Oh, wait.... Nevermind.

Edited by Prime Suspect

"please don't look down on "public" users because they don't have a membership (for whatever reason) by creating exclusive, cliquish caches."

First of all, I don't believe that premium members are "looking down" on regular member by hiding member only caches. I do believe that they are just offering something special to other premium members who are supporting the site, and are actually paying for all the great value geocaching.com is giving away free to non-paying members.

And, what does it take to become a member of this exclusive, cliquish group? Ten cents per day.

Let's think this through.

$3.00 per month is nothing, really. Ten cents per day.

Just signing up for one of those gas station credit cards will save enough on gas to pay for your membership. A 5% discount on a $60 tank of gas ... and there you are. Gas card aside, I'll bet you easily waste that much on coffee, booze, cigarettes, candy, restaraunts, fast food, movies, entertainment, or something. If not, you're too perfect and nobody is going to like you. :D

If not, I sure hope you leave more than $3 in swag items per month! Unless you don't trade. I just bought $15 in swag today, and it will all be gone in a week.

Pay the $3 for just one month and you'll exhaust all the member only caches. In fact, with only 70 caches close to you, you're quickly going to run out of all types of caches anyway. Then, according to your own words, you won't be able to geocache any more.

Or, start hiding some of your own. For some people, that is a lot fun.

The bottom line is that Geocaching.com gives away a tremendous amount of value for free. Frankly, it amazes me. Premium members are actually supporting your free membership, and that's fine. But, considering that it is free, please don't look the proverbial gift horse in the mouth.

As a last thought, I would bet that most caches are hid by premium members. I'm sure that someone will soon post to confirm or contradict this.

Also, I have a great solution - go out and place a new cache that is not members only!

I completely understand not being able to afford it. Some people cannot comprehend that at all for some reason.

As far as the above quote, i would love to place more caches. Sad to say it takes us time just to place one due to funding.

Unless you just toss out a film canister, then the above idea wont work too well.

Exactly! I mean, after all, even though you're not a premium member, at least you're contributing to the sport by putting out caches of your own for others to find. Oh, wait.... Nevermind.

Pretty harsh considering they have less than 50 finds.

Had you ever thought that for some reason or another they may be unable to maintain a cache even if they wanted to place one? Being unable to maintain a cache is enough reason to not place one.

Of course there's going to be people rooting for either side.

Honestly though, if you REALLY can't do 3 bucks for even one month to get the premium member caches out of the way, there is a serious problem or you live in a box under a bridge.

Honestly though, if you REALLY can't do 3 bucks for even one month to get the premium member caches out of the way, there is a serious problem or you live in a box under a bridge.

I agree. But that doesnt mean you have to live a comfortable lifestyle to geocache.

Aren't you taking the "moral high ground" when you tell us what to do and what not to do on the forums? Just saying...

Topics like this always get things going on any forum. I'm merely stating my opinions. There's no disrespect involved here. At least I didn't see any.

Aren't you taking the "moral high ground" when you tell us what to do and what not to do on the forums? Just saying...

Yes, I was actually making fun of myself. I genuinely don't like when people do that, which was insufficient to prevent me from doing it myself.

Apologies for taking this thread off topic.

Edited by Theseus

:D I personally know a geocacher in Sydney Australia who is in a wheelchair (parapalegic) and manages to cache.

He has from memory 43 caches placed within 30Km of his home, and he visits each cache at least once every month.

The area where he lives in actually very hilly and he doesnt drive, so he wheels himself around in his chair, and catches trains or busses to his caches, and the caches he finds.

I will try to get hold of him so I can get his :D GC name and post it here so you can see that there is not really any excuse :D .

I also know of a cacher in Brisbane who only uses his bike to ride to caches. He has caches logged that are 900Km from his home, and whilst he may have caught a train or bus etc, he still ONLY rides as he doesnt have a vehicle :lol: . So that is not any excuse.

You manage to find the funds to drive to work and school but cant find the funds to spend on premium membership for ONE MONTH?

So, Im curious, what exactly are are you planning to do once you have found all them caches in the circle you described? ;)

We have 7 kids at home and another on the way, Im now out of work due to a disability that is expected to last upto 2 years, but after a few months on geocaching, and seeing the benefits that premium membership offered just for pocket queries alone, we still managed to find the funds for a year (which was MORE in Aussie$$ than US$$).

Our first year is almost up (in august) but we have been putting away $1 per week for the whole of the last year, and now we have the funds to renew our membership.

It REALLY isnt THAT hard........ but it is REALLY annoying to see all the whiner's who try to justify their :D whinge about not being able to afford it etc.

I bet you have other things that would be considered luxuries (such as a cell phone, video games etc etc.)

But who am I to try to justify your inability to pay $3 for just one month or $30 for one year? :D

Like others suggested, if you didnt take the family out for just ONE meal in a year........

Or maybe you could ride a bike to work,

Or maybe the kids could car pool/ walk/ ride to school,

Maybe you could hand make presents for christmas this year instead of spending up big?

All that without even talking about the benefits that your PREMUIM MEMBERSHIP offers by keeping the site alive?

So, I REALLY hope that you can see, there is LOADS of alternatives to magically find the funds to get the premium membership, which is only going to allow you to find about 10-15 extra caches in that circle you defined earlier. :D

... It's kind of insulting that the website that we all use to locate hides defines "dedicated cachers" as those who buy into premium membership....Let's keep this sport fun and accessible to everyone!

It's inslulting to see that you have defined it that way. This site makes no such distinction. Also since you brought it up. Someone is going to pay the bills. If you want this activity accessable to everone how would you fund it differently? My only thought is that if YOU and everone else who doesn't pay, paid my 30 bucks a months my be 10. But that's just me. what are your thoughts?

The point I wish to return to, however, is that by making certain caches available to those only part of the privileged "club," certain people are left out, and that makes it less fun. So like I said, enjoy all the other benefits of membership, but keep the caches available to everyone.

I've posted this rebuttle too many times to count now. Premium Caches aren't being taken away from you, they are being made available to those who have decided to/can afford to pay. A reward or something special for somebody doesn't mean that it's being taken away from somebody else.

I don't care for this new wave of "entitlement" that seems to be sweeping the nation......sorry for going off-topic a bit but it is related.

I guess I hear what you are saying but sort of funny to lament the cost of an activity that gives away 95% of the fun for free.

course.]

Exactly. You can cache until your heart's desire for free. The few PMOC shouldn't distract from your fun.

First of all, I don't believe that premium members are "looking down" on regular member by hiding member only caches. I do believe that they are just offering something special to other premium members who are supporting the site, and are actually paying for all the great value geocaching.com is giving away free to non-paying members.

True dat. :D

Seriously, you can continue to do this for free. Don't begrudge a PMOC's to those who help pay for this site. Without Premium Members, this site (likely) wouldn't exist. There's not a lot of obtrusive advertising, pop-ups, etc. that generate revenue.

Sorry but I have to add my two bits into this topic. I myself am a PM. I enjoy every aspect of this sport. I enjoy all the benifits of being a PM aswell. I have caches out that I only allow MO to see. The reason I have done this is in my area and others as well we have found that with geocaching becoming more public there are muggles going onto the site and finding our caches. The problem is they take the cache and the next cachers is now logging a DNF.

By me making my caches MO it allows cachers and not muggles to enjoy my caches and the sport.

I don't harbor any ill will toward PMO caches, nor did I prior to becoming a Premium Member. Back then, I looked at it as just another cache I couldn't hunt, right along with those requiring scuba equipment, extended hikes or rock climbing. (too old & crippled for those) Since there are still a gazillion other caches for me to hunt, they were no skin off my back. I've owned a few PMO caches since then, and none of them were created to inflate any feelings of superiority.

I say, let the owners of the cache decide if it should be available to all, or just PM's.

Very well put. The same goes with our type of caching I have two children ages 5 and 1 who go to every cache that I go to. I can't possibly take a stroller up a cliff or in a canoe with me so those caches I just have to let go for now. I don't feel bad about it and it does not bother me that a fellow cacher has placed that cache there. I actually love reading the post logs from fellow cachers on those type of caches. I guess I am living my thrills from fellow cachers who can go there when I just can't.

The cost of putting this site on-line is astronomical...servers, computers, an office, electricity, software, etc. etc.etc....not to mention the full time employees (they have to buy gas to get to work). I think the cost of geocaching is cheap compared to almost any other sport. If you don't think so try golf some time.

Pretty harsh considering they have less than 50 finds.

Had you ever thought that for some reason or another they may be unable to maintain a cache even if they wanted to place one? Being unable to maintain a cache is enough reason to not place one.

No one has to put out any caches, though the sport pretty much falls apart unless at least some people do. But as I said, you don't have to. However, if you haven't, I think you're on really shaky ground when it comes to complaining about the caches that others have taken the time and effort to place.

As someone who is not a Premium Member (yet), here are my thoughts:

To be honest, I think the $3/month (or $30/year) is an extreme bargain. If I was someone who could spend most of my time (or at least my spare time) seeking every cache around (and if this was invented say about 15 years ago before marriage and kids were in the picture I probably would be that someone), I'd do a premium membership in a heartbeat.

In this vein, I harbor no ill-will to those who plant premium-only caches. Most who do also hide a good deal of "public" hides, and many others also "open up the caches" after a few days, weeks or months to everyone.

Given that it is virtually "free", the only reason that we're not premium members is that we really wouldn't use any of the features. While my wife is almost as eager to cache as I am, with 2 small kids and jobs at somewhat opposite schedules, it's hard to do it a lot (though we still seem to average about a find a week during the warmer months). I have a Lowrance IFinder GO, which is a great and inexpensive GPSr but is really made for manually entering waypoints (which at our level of how often we cache is fine with us). So PQ's, etc. aren't really a priority for me and to be honest, in every area I've gone the "member only" caches were few enough that I don't really feel "incomplete".

Interestingly, the one thing that might gear me to a premium membership soon (besides that fact that I think despite what I said above we've started to do it enough that we should "contribute") is that I learned from someone on this forum that one of the more obscure PM benefits lets you search for archived caches on the site, something I've wanted to do for a long time for various reasons.

Anyway, that is my 2 cents (or $3 or $30) :)

Member Only Caches

We are concerned about all the members-only caches popping up here and there. Not everyone (including myself) can afford or justify the $30 expense to sign on. In heavily-populated areas where this may not be such a problem, there tend to be many more caches available to general caching, with an occasional members-only cache. However, in areas such as the one I live in, with few people, and much fewer caches available, every members-only cache just serves to make geocaching cliquish and exclusive. With the price of gas these days, if we can't afford a $30 membership, we certainly can't afford to drive to other areas for newer caches!

What a jip. I am so angry that even though I am a PM, I still have to go cache seeking in my beat up old Honda because a new Mercedes is not $11,000. I still have to use my low end Garmin GPSr because the nice new one I want is over $300. I have to replace the batteries a couple of times a month at about $2.00 a pair. And what I am really PO'ed about is I can not afford to hire some "Girl Friday" to go out and do all my Geocaching for me. What a CRUEL WORLD!!!

i hate MO caches. i won't go find them. you can have mine.

no, seriously. some people really think this makes a cache more likely to last, or to be appropriately traded.

to my experience it ain't true.

other hand, not everybody can find every cache. don't go to the MO caches. if you feel people are looking down on you, stand up.

Those 171 caches (a number of which have been marked unavailable plus the few members-only) are located within a fifty mile radius. Due to limited resources and topography, it is not economically feasible to travel beyond a 8-10 mile radius (as the crow flies, via roads it is often longer) from our home coordinates. There are only approximately 60-70 caches available to us within these limitations.

Gas prices here are much higher than the national average, so we tend to reserve driving for getting to-and-from school and work.

Free suggestions:

-Considering there are 60-70 that meet your limited resource criteria and you have only 45 traditionals logged, I think your B’ing and M’ing is premature.

-Try attending some monthly events in your area and hook up with some other cachers and work out some group caching expeditions.

-If you have not sought and found more than 45 traditional caches since becoming a member in 10/05, then it would appear you are really not to involved in this activity and probably ought to find something else to do with your free time.

-Just trying to state the facts. I suggest QYFB&MaC.

NEVERMIND, Oh Prime, you so funny. You cracking me up.

Some things to keep in mind when posting:

Respect: Respect the guidelines for forum usage, and site usage. Respect Groundspeak, its employees, volunteers, yourself, fellow community members, and guests on these boards. Whether a community member has one post or 5,000 posts, they deserve the same respect.

Foul Language and obscene images will not be tolerated. This site is family friendly, and all posts and posters must respect the integrity of the site.

Personal Attacks and Flames will not be tolerated. If you want to praise or criticize, give examples as to why it is good or bad, general attacks on a person or idea will not be tolerated.

Ok those of you who are having too much fun with this take it down a notch please. Even if you do not like the way the OP phrased the question the guidelines require that you ALL respond with respect. Just because you do not agree with him is not a reason to act like unruly children.

Thank you.

For the record, I don't have any active subscriber-only caches...but I have had some, and I probably will list the occasional cache hide as such in the future. It's my option to do so, and to be blunt, I don't need to explain or justify my decision to anyone. I have hidden nearly 90 other caches that aren't, so I hardly think my decision to list a few as available to premium members only shows that I'm "looking down" on anyone.

Plenty of caches are only "available" to certain people. Should I not hide a cache on a rigorous hiking trail because folks who are out of shape might not be able to find it? Should I not hide a cache underwater because some people may not be able to swim?

But if you want to just talk money...

I suppose I shouldn't hide any caches in county parks because someone might not be able to afford the entrance fee.

I suppose I shouldn't hide any caches on an island because someone might not be able to afford a boat to get there.

I suppose I shouldn't hide any caches on a cliff because someone might not be able to afford rappelling gear.

I suppose I shouldn't hide any caches with decent swag because someone might not be able to follow the "trade up or even" credo.

On the other hand, I suppose I shouldn't hide any film canisters because someone might not be able to afford a pen to sign the log.

Where do we draw the line?

Cut the guy some slack. I wasn't a paying member until a few months ago and, as you can see, I've been around the site a long time. The only reason I became a paying member was for the pocket queries (which are awesome!) and the opportunity to spend less money on ink for the printer. I've even got this whole philosophy on how premium only caches don't help the game grow as much as completely open caches do because you can remember back to when you started... What was the first cache you found? A premium only or a open to all cache? If you only had premium only caches out there, there's much less likelihood that you'd pop over the bucks before you found out if you liked geocaching or not and the game would not have grown as much as it has with open to all caches. That's my take on it all, anyway. YMMV.

Anyway... I don't have any issues with those who do not want to pay for premium services. They should just be aware, however, that they most likely will not be able to go find PO caches.

Like the open source movement, there are ways to contribute to geocaching that the OP should probably consider doing. Since the game is free to him, he should contribute something to the game. Get out and hide a geocache or two. I, myself, have fallen behind in this respect and need to place a few more caches out there.

We do live in a land of entitlements and welfare so honestly, did you think that geocaching would be any differen't??? Reference my signature.

I referenced your signature. While many may abuse the welfare system, others may need it and are entitled to it. After all, if they have worked- then they have paid for it.

While you may be able to pay $3 for the site, that doesnt mean that you can afford it.

I referenced your signature. While many may abuse the welfare system, others may need it and are entitled to it. After all, if they have worked- then they have paid for it.

Tell that to the third generation welfare recipient who has never worked a day in their lives, or to the thousands of illegal aliens who collect benefits for their "anchor babies."

Since this issue gets beat to death, I felt it was time for the obligatory Markwell.

Member only caches and why I hate them

Caches for premium members only

Why have the premium membership?

Members only caches

Subscription Only Caches--grrrrrrrrrr!

Member Only Caches, Should I or shouldn't I?

Caches for Premium members only

Members only caches

"members only" caches rant

And more since:

The First "no Members" Cache

Change Moc Suggestion, need only normal account to view

Northeast Premium Member Only Caches, What are your thoughts?

When To Hide A Premium Member Cache, What is the culture of Member Only cache

Members Only Cache Hides, Members Only Cache Hides

Members Only, Premium Member Cache

And from across the pond

Members Only Caches, Is there a point anymore ?

Edited by Kit Fox

Tell that to the third generation welfare recipient who has never worked a day in their lives, or to the thousands of illegal aliens who collect benefits for their "anchor babies."

Since this issue gets beat to death, I felt it was time for the obligatory Markwell.

Member only caches and why I hate them

Caches for premium members only

Why have the premium membership?

Members only caches

Subscription Only Caches--grrrrrrrrrr!

Member Only Caches, Should I or shouldn't I?

Caches for Premium members only

Members only caches

"members only" caches rant

And more since:

The First "no Members" Cache

Change Moc Suggestion, need only normal account to view

Northeast Premium Member Only Caches, What are your thoughts?

When To Hide A Premium Member Cache, What is the culture of Member Only cache

Members Only Cache Hides, Members Only Cache Hides

Members Only, Premium Member Cache

And from across the pond

Members Only Caches, Is there a point anymore ?

Ahh the old forum search.Imagine that.

hijacked.gif