Which PDA do you use? Are you happy with it?

007BigD

Went through several pages in the GPS forums and didnt find the info I want.

Gonna get one soon and just cant make up my mind! I see the Palm Z22 is inexpensive and easy to use.

Just want to know what others are using and if they are happy with it. After using it, is there another you would have rather purchased? and why?

Thanks for the help, Im sure many PDA buyers will appreciate any info you may have. I also expect this thread to be moved...But figured Id have the best chance at some quick responses here first. Thanks for the help!

I use my PDA for everything. Was a Palm user long before I was a geocacher.

I'm currently up to the Palm Tx. Just bought it a couple weeks ago after the memory card slot on my T5 tanked.

I couldn't be happier with it. I'm still using Plucker/Spinner and loving it.

Bret

I have a Palm M500. It is very easy to see in bright sunlight, something that can be more difficult with PDAs like the Z22. My Palm has worked great with Cachemate installed on it for more than two years now.

A friend has the Zire 72, Silver Edition, and that is a very nice PDA. He got his for $50.00 on Craigslist, but they usually run more than $80.00 on eBay. It is color and has a faster processor than my Palm M500.

I have a Dell Axim x3.

I Love it. I have seen them available used on Ebay for around $25. They use the PPC platform and work best with GPXSonar for caching. Great little unit.

You will want to protect it if you get one - find a nice padded case for it while you are on the trail.

I've been using Palm products since 98, and am currently using LifeDrive. Which is a brick. Don't get me wrong, I love it, but it's just a little too big to use in the woods; so I leave it in the car with all my cache info. I have absolutely no idea what I'd do without it. It has my calander, my contacts, just about my whole 'life' in it. Now that the Tx is out, that would be my choice, probably.

The Tx and the LifeDrive have the added advantage of wi-fi, so you can jump online to fill in logs, check your email, etc. when you're out and about.

I've used the z22 at work, and it would be perfect for caching, and and is easy enough for entry level use. Don't blame me, however, if you decide to upgrade very soon. :D I'd suggest looking at eBay, or elsewhere online, for a 'bigger' model before you take the plunge.

You will want to get plucker/spinner, or cachemate for it (see the software page on GC.com), and possibly GSAK, if you don't already have it.

Thanks for the help so far. I dont want to spend more than 150.00 on it and the visibility on the Z22 will detour me from that one...Good point made there!

Ease of use is another thing Im after. Im upgrading to a 60csx, so might as well go all the way! Too many DNF's recently :D Im done with that...I like the long caches and to come up with a DNF on a 4 mile hike is just too much!!! Hasent happened yet, but Im sure a PDA will help so it is less likely!...Thanks Mods, for lettin me hang around here a bit.

Edit to add...Maybe ease of use isnt a big deal-Theres a learning curve to anything good!...Just like caching

Edited by 007BigD

I have an Compaq IPAQ 3850 with bluetooth. Found it in the "trash", since there was no support for it from HP. My company thought it was a good idea to get rid of it. So, I bought a brand new battery at ebay for $19 and it gained life.

Since then, I use it for paperless geocaching (GPX Sonar delivers) and since it was a Bluetooth connection I bought a GPS BT module (SirfIII equipped) and works like a charm.

You could probably get one for $60 at ebay or so. I don't need another more powerful or so. It runs every software I need (BeelineGPS and OziExplorer).

Works like a charm!

I have a T3, and I love it. It has the fastest processor of any Palm, and none of the NVFS issues. Bluetooth, SD slot, and it runs Mapopolis very well. I've been using Palms for several years, and haven't even considered upgrading to anything else. If it ever dies, I'm going to be very sad. I have an M105 which is really better for caching, because it's cheap, greyscale, and easy to read outside, but I don't often bother to sync it and use it. It's so easy to put the caches on an SD card in my laptop and just slide it into my Palm and go, with no need to hotsync or anything else. They go for about $100 or so on ebay, and I've been thinking about getting one as a backup, just in case.

Got my eye on an X3, The TX and the T3. So far I like the SD card on the T3, I think the others have it as well, only not sure of the MicroSD slot on the TX. Little more research and I should have a PDA on the way by tomorrow.

To come up with a DNF on a 4 mile hike is just too much!!! Hasent happened yet, but Im sure a PDA will help so it is less likely!.

Dont know what I was thinkin :D ...I got a DNF on a Cache that was 7 mi one way, Deep in the Redwoods and no signal for over a mile from the cache(Etrex Vista). Didnt read the hints, but they were mandatory because of the tree cover. And the other day a 2.5 round trip to a DNF that I may have had better luck on due to one of these cool tools! I can think of at least 5 more good DNF's I missed out on.

A few have recommend for me to get a PDA, but till now its been hand entering my coords and having nothing more than the coords in my book and a brief memory of the cache page I picked. Cant wait to check this thing out and boy do they seem usefull for other than just checkin out the cache pages your after.

Great help all! :D

Got my eye on an X3, The TX and the T3. So far I like the SD card on the T3, I think the others have it as well, only not sure of the MicroSD slot on the TX. Little more research and I should have a PDA on the way by tomorrow.

To come up with a DNF on a 4 mile hike is just too much!!! Hasent happened yet, but Im sure a PDA will help so it is less likely!.

Dont know what I was thinkin :D ...I got a DNF on a Cache that was 7 mi one way, Deep in the Redwoods and no signal for over a mile from the cache(Etrex Vista). Didnt read the hints, but they were mandatory because of the tree cover. And the other day a 2.5 round trip to a DNF that I may have had better luck on due to one of these cool tools! I can think of at least 5 more good DNF's I missed out on.

A few have recommend for me to get a PDA, but till now its been hand entering my coords and having nothing more than the coords in my book and a brief memory of the cache page I picked. Cant wait to check this thing out and boy do they seem usefull for other than just checkin out the cache pages your after.

Great help all! :D

I use a TX and there is no microSD slot, just the standard SD. I like it, I like it a lot.

I have a Palm Zire 72 and love it.

However, it is true that it is VERY difficult to read in direct sunlight.

It was perfect for me due to the built in camera. I don't own a digital camera and this was a cheap alternative for posting photos. This was the feature that tipped the balance in favor of the S72. It can also take movies, but these are pretty crude.

It has a lot of memory and a fast processor, so loading caches is a snap. If I want to sort a list of 1000 caches it only takes a second or two.

It has a high resolution color screen, higher that the Z22 if I recall.

It also has a voice recorder. I often use this in a hurry to record cache information rather than writing stuff down.

It has a built in rechargeable battery which is handy.

It also has blue tooth, but I don't use it.

FOR ME, it was perfect (except in direct sunlight).

Edited by michigansnorkeler

Edit to add...Maybe ease of use isnt a big deal-Theres a learning curve to anything good!...Just like caching

Any body that knows you 007, knows that ease of use might just be a factor after all. :D:D

Why you little!!!!!

I know who's Not goin for another ride in the "Magic Jetta" :D:D

JK-We missed ya last Mission! Sparkey was like "Dadfish should be here"...Naa, He's a "Signal Sucker"~(His 60csx robbed our signal :lol: ).....Nice one though! ;)

I have an HP hx4700. Nice PDA. Then I upgraded to WM 5.0 and Vista about the same time. I've never been happy with it since. WM 5 made it less user friendly than WM 2003 SE.

Palm I'd be willing to try but they just annouced that they are giving up on the Palm OS so, what's the point?

Right now I'm open for something that "Just Works" Symbian or maybe the new Mac OS/x vai the iphone.

Ummm.... when did Palm announce that? They have licensed the Garnet OS forever. Access (a separate company) is working on a Linux-based OS, but it's not out, and it's not Palm. I try to keep up on this stuff, and I haven't seen any such announcement. I'm pretty sure it would have been on Brighthand if it had occurred.

I use a Palm M505 with cachemate. It was free so its perfect :)

I also use a Palm M505 with cachemate. Works just fine for me and you can get them pretty cheap on ebay.

Treo 650-comes in handy when papers left in truck(yeah, I know) can hit web in woods.

Uber-geek :)

:) Palm Tungsten T5. I've used this for the last two year, carrying it in a Palm hard case. No problems, and I'm very pleased with it. My only issue, which isn't the PDA's problem is that Windows Vista does not support the hotsync operation. Palm is suppose to publish an update later this summer. Till then, I'm forced to use a backup computer that is running XP.

I use a Palm Z22 loaded with Cachemate and I use GSAK to synchronize everything. The Z22 has a hard plastic casing around the screen and it seems to protect it every time I drop it - which is at lease every time I hike and cache. It was just under $100.

I'm not crazy about the screen because when I'm out on a bright sunny day I have to take off my shades to view the screen. But all in all it does the trick.

Palm IIIxe with 8 megs. Easy to read Black and White screen. Uses AAA batteries and cost under $30 with some accessories. If I lose it or drop it I can afford to replace it. Don't have to worry about getting a used one with a bad rechargeable battery and I don't have to worry about the color screens that you have to take into a cave to see them. If money didn't matter then I would get the best and the fastest. For now I am happy with mine.

My PDA?

P Piece of paper (recycled).

D D’nearest pencil

A All necessary info copied off cache pages before I leave home

NO batteries required :)

Never fails – can be dropped, driven over, have more written on it out in the field.

Cost $0 :)

I've been utilizing Bunya's method. B)

However, curiosity got to me so downloaded cachemate to my Palm E2. It worked so nice with gsak that I was hooked. The problem is that I'm not taking it into the woods etc as it has years of contact info for my work on it. Yeah, I know.....if I lost or broke it, I could get a new one and re-sync but don't need that expense.

Picked up a z22 at Best Buy a couple of days ago. Wish I had done my research first :) ; took it outside and couldn't read the screen in the sun even with my sun glasses off. Took it back to Best Buy yesterday and got my money back.

Got on the web and started sniffing around for any "deals". Found a demo model E2 for $108 and went for it. Should arrive by the end of the week. Just hope the screen isn't too scratched up. Was a demo for only two weeks supposedly.

I figured, since my family is also involved in this, we'll be doing quite a bit of caching. Doesn't take too many ink cartridge's to make an economical pda look good! :lol:

Good luck and good hunting,

Jim

Edited by CrkrJim

Ummm.... when did Palm announce that? They have licensed the Garnet OS forever. Access (a separate company) is working on a Linux-based OS, but it's not out, and it's not Palm. I try to keep up on this stuff, and I haven't seen any such announcement. I'm pretty sure it would have been on Brighthand if it had occurred.

Heard it on Cnet. Could be they will do no more PDA's but still Treo's, or vice versa or will develope no more new units of either. It was just a blip in the news but a very dissapointing blip. I hope they chage thier mind.

I got a remanufactured M515 off of Ebay for $60.00 shipped. It replaced a Visor Platinum. I like the color screen, SD slot and rechargeable batteries. Not bad for the price. Just wish the screen was a higher resolution. Accessories are REALLY cheap now too!!! $18.00 for a $100.00 foldable keyboard!!!

We recently decided to save some trees and went to paperless caching with a Palm Z22. The screen does have an adjustable display and can be problematic to see in super sunny conditions, but with a cover found on ebay that opens to the top providing shade, it's reasonable (and the screen adjustment is very straightforward). The unit is smaller than the other PDAs in the Palm family, but works perfectly for caching. We are using GPXSpinner and Plucker. (There's a good article on geocacher-u.com about paperless caching that uses the same software). We reconfigured the buttons at the base of the palm to be hotkeys for Plucker and for the note pad (the two features we use the most while caching), which has been very time-saving while out on the hunt. For the price, it's been a great geocaching tool.

I use a Handspring Visor Deluxe. Don't know if they even make them anymore, but mine has served me well. The only drawback with it is that I cannot upgrade to the 5.0 version of the operating system because the hardware is dated. Only an issue with programs, but I can usually find something I want in a compatible version. Something to bear in mind if you buy one used though.

Chris

We just picked up a Palm Z22 that we use pretty much just for geocaching. Everything works as advertised. We're using CacheMate to downoad GPX pocket-query data to the Z22, and no problems so far. Other units have larger screens, but the price was right on the Z22.

My PDA?

P Piece of paper (recycled).

D D’nearest pencil

A All necessary info copied off cache pages before I leave home

NO batteries required B)

Never fails – can be dropped, driven over, have more written on it out in the field.

Cost $0 :lol:

It certainly limits not only the time spent caching but how many you can do when out and the method you do it.

I use an HP HX4795b PPC with Mobile 5. I use Cachemate PPC, as well as GPXSonar. Both of these programs are VERY good, and I have never had a problem with them. Each of them have Features I like so continue to switch back and forth hoping to decide on just one but...

I used to Cache with a Palm OS (Zire 31) Loaded with Cachemate, but found the Geocaching Programs for PPC give the User alot more Features. (Filter, search, Databases, etc) If you use GSAK and have been able to Master ALL the Great Features it offers, you will love Cachemate PPC as it is very much like GSAK!

Edited by VENTUREMAN7/ "A" TEAM"

Gonna get one soon and just cant make up my mind! I see the Palm Z22 is inexpensive and easy to use.

Just want to know what others are using and if they are happy with it. After using it, is there another you would have rather purchased? and why?

Thanks for the help, Im sure many PDA buyers will appreciate any info you may have. I also expect this thread to be moved...But figured Id have the best chance at some quick responses here first. Thanks for the help!

I use a Palm Z22. If you want it mainly for Geocaching, it will suit your purposes. I think you'll be happy with it. Be sure to get a case for it, some vendors don't include it.

I've been using the Z22 for a few months. My only complaint is that it doesn't have 64 bit drivers, so can't be used with 64 bit Vista. It works fine with my XP laptop though.

I ended up getting a Palm TX for 154.00 on Ebay + 10.00 Shipping!!! All Original Packaging in the box and even comes with a case!

I chose it mainly because of the wireless capabilities, MP3, Video (and pics) and it seems to be one of the higher end units, that I seemed to have got for a good deal! It was listed as T/X instead of TX so not as mant people saw it, otherwise Im sure it would have went for over 200.00.

I also checked out the Dell X3, The M505 and most of the other T-series Palms, bid on 6 units and managed to snag this one!

Cant wait to get it and I will tell how I like it!...Sure liked the idea of AA batteries, but aint gettin nothin like this with AA's~ Hope the Battery lasts!!!

Thanks for the Tip...This things gonna make things much easier!!!...Stress free caching!!!...Yeah Right

We just got a Zire 31 and it rocks. I just figured out how to use GSAK and got all my waypoints on my VentureCx and all the cache pages on the Z31. This is going to make things very easily accessible while out in the field. We have only found 4 caches so far and we printed the info out for all of those and even just 4 was a pain in the butt to print and carry around.

The z31 has the color screen but it's not THAT difficult to see outside if you set the screen settings up right. Adjust the contrast and use the color theme that looks almost black and white and you're good to go!

I got this off of Ebay for about 30 bucks! Practically brand new. 16megs of memory with an SD slot. Holds plenty of info for geocaching.

once I read about PDAs with caching on here, I bought one, then a second, 3rd, 4th.... they are so addictive.

I started with a low-end palm, moved to the high-end palms, then finally to a Dell Axim, which I absolutely love. I got the GPS attachment for it, which is a ton more accurate than my garmin.

I do everything with that axim, from writing pocket queries, emailing them, and downloading them, to using TOMTOM to drive around new towns, finally to caching when I am there. (I only use the PDA for geocaching when I travel and don't bring my GPS with me. )

for normal geocaching, I use the oldest cheapest palm pilot with my garmin. Last time I took the gf caching, she dropped it on the blacktop and broke it. I did get it working again, but it's much less painful to see a $20 palm lying on the ground than a $200 dell axim. :)

About a year ago, I rolled my GPSr/PDA all into one by buying the Palm 700p with the GPSr unit. It uses TomTom navigation software to get me as close to the cache as I can drive and then I use GeoNiche for offroad.

I've heard alot of software options mentioned here (plucker/spinner, cachemate, GSAK & GPXSonar) but no one has mentioned GeoNiche. Has anyone here used GeoNiche and found another one of the software programs to be better? I'm on a Mac.

Thanks!

I have been happy with my PDA Palm IIIXe-8MBs ($30), but I wanted another phone with email/web service...so I just bought and should be delivered in 3-5 days a PDA Palm 680 smart phone with 64mbs ($100 with rebate). It cost much more then the Palm IIXe, but it will make me happy...I use Cachemate & GSAK...two super caching programs, well worth the cost...Happy caching to all.

I thought about the Zire 22, but didn't want to spend $100. So, went for a Palm M515--got it for just over $50 on eBay, was remanufactured but looked brand new to me. The only thing I didn't like was the metal stylus that was too loose in it's slot. I picked up a 4 pack of plastic ones and they are nice and tight.

Also, I found that there are so many listed, it was easy to decide what the max i wanted to pay, then just kept bidding that amount as the max for each one that came up (one at a time, of course). Took about a week, but I got it at my price.

I just replaced my Tungsten E (retired from being my work Palm) with a Z22. The E's power switch had broken so it became a nuisance for geocaching also. I really like the Z22. It is light. It is less expensive (got mine on ebay for $50.00 including the shipping) and the memory is plenty for Geocaching and my phone numbers. I do not have a need to put photos, songs, etc. on it. My database numbers over 1000 geocaches and I still haven't used half the memory.

Good luck!

I use a HP iPAQ hx4700 with a Garmin GPS10 Bluetooth GPSr. I started out with GPSTuner as my main geocaching software, but it kept locking up and having memory issues. I've since switched to Cachemate for managing the geocache info, and BeeLineGPS to actually find them.

I have a Z22 and an iQUE. The Z22 is very difficult to read in sunlight. I got the iQUE on ebay and I am very happy with it.

All of these logs are very helpful and interesting So...my problem/situation... we just up-graded to the 60cxs and we have had a Palm III off of ebay. I never did get any of the programs to work, I had to copy them as a word document and paste it in. We have been looking at the z22, but it sounds like about half of the posts here are against it, due to not being able to see the screen. We already have that problem. So, for the same price frame...is there any better, or are they all about the same? I know I can go back to ebay, but I would like a little more.....solid? :laughing: ....for the lack of better terminalogy...info to get us better on track. I have heard of most of the programs and tried them, so that is not an issue. Thanks for the help. :laughing: