Just ranting.......

I noticed the trees and bushes in an area around one of my caches was being trimmed last Thursday (small park area behind a historic marker). So I dropped by and retrieved the cache until they were done. When I got home I had no Internet connection due to a wind storm that damaged our area. (same reason for the trimming) - I didn't put the cache back until this morning. NO note was placed on the cache page while it was gone - but it only gets visits about once every 6 weeks or so.

Just checked my email. 2 different folks logged a "found" on the cache over the weekend while traveling through and hitting a few other caches. Sigh.......

Yep, I see the same thing happening in my little part of Missouri. I especially like to see a string of DNFs followed by a questionable find and then another string of DNFs. Just fooling themselves, it must be hard to have to go through life that way.

Well, to give the people the benefit of the doubt, it may be that they thought they found yours when they marked it as found. Not all caches state somewhere obvious what cache it is. So, when they get home to hop on the net, they may pick the caches from a map and log them that way. Easy enough to get one cache mistaken for another.

But, even if they are chalking up finds they never had any intention of finding, so what? What I like most about geocaching is telling the tale of various caches to others, something that these "finders" clearly can't do. I say have some fun with them. Post a note that says IMPOSSIBLE!, or how did you get in my house, or something more imaginative.

Well, to give the people the benefit of the doubt, it may be that they thought they found yours when they marked it as found. Not all caches state somewhere obvious what cache it is. So, when they get home to hop on the net, they may pick the caches from a map and log them that way. Easy enough to get one cache mistaken for another.

But, even if they are chalking up finds they never had any intention of finding, so what? What I like most about geocaching is telling the tale of various caches to others, something that these "finders" clearly can't do. I say have some fun with them.

Oh I would never delete a log without finding out if it was some kind of error. Given the LOW number of local caches however.....

Post a note that says IMPOSSIBLE!, or how did you get in my house, or something more imaginative.

....."how is it that you found my unlocked vehicle as I scurried around over the weekend" :D:D

Last Monday, on a one-day, 300-mile trip to Yuma and back, we stopped to look for a cache that had a "Found It" on May 6. :D When we couldn't find the cache, we looked more closely at the Past Logs. Turns out there had been several DNFs before the "Found It." :D

Then there was a "Note" stating the cache was, in fact, not there, because that cacher had found it before.

After our DNFs, the cache owner Disabled the cache, something they probably would have done back in May if that other person hadn't logged "Found It." :D

When I was on a trip to Colorado, I looked for a cache in Durango, couldn't find it, posted a DNF, then put it on a Bookmark list for "Unresolved DNFs." Several "Found It" logs came in, along with a couple of DNFs, before the cache owner Archived the cache because it wasn't there . . .

So . . . what are you going to do with the "Found It" logs?

It could be an error, something like what I noticed for a cache I found last Thursday. The most recent "Found It" was on the cache page, but there was no signature in the logbook. I knew the cacher, so I emailed them and they deleted their "Found It" log . . . They had mixed up the name of that cache with another one they found on a long day of caching.

As a quick aside to this topic I hate it when I find a cache and then the next few people after me log it as a DNF huh.gif I immediately wonder how I could have screwed it up and, if within driving range, will go and check.

tell me about it! There is one near where I work, where I found the cache, and then there were a bunch of DNF's, and has now been archived. I keep meaning to go back and check myself, just to see. That's it. I'm going tomorrow at lunch to check.

On a probably unrelated note: My biggest error in cache logging was after an out of town trip. When I went to log the caches I found, I just punched in the various GC numbers and commenced pecking at my keyboard. I fingerflubbed one GC number, and mistakenly logged the wrong cache. That log would probably still be there if my wife hadn't double checked my work. I deleted my erroneous find, with an apology to the owner, and logged the right one.