Caching in Dublin

Now I know it's wrong to generalise, but I'm researching Dublin as a place to go caching one weekend in the not-too-distant future and I've been a bit worried by some of the reports I've read about safety there. There would be two, maybe three of us caching.

Does anyone know of areas that really should be avoided (particularly be female cachers), areas we shouldn't stay, anything we ought to consider?

I'd have posted this in an Ireland forum, but there doesn't seem to be one :ph34r:

Thanks muchly!

Badger #1

Post on GCI via Deceangi's link for more accurate information but TBH I wouldn't be concerned about caching in Dublin. It's no more or less dangerous than any city and common sense is always an important asset whether caching or not.

There used to be issues in Dublin concerning O'Connell St but AFAIK it's less of a problem now.

I was in Dublin a couple of weeks ago for the Meat Loaf concert at 'The Point'. Managed to find time to do a couple of city centre virtuals and the Castle Rock traditional (recommended).

Believe me... From what I saw, you will have not problem at all. Just get a white t-shirt for each member of your group. On the back get printed, in big red letters, "HEN PARTY, DUBLIN 2007". On the front get printed "Lisa's Gorgeous Chicks" or something similar. Funny hats and coloured wigs are optional but recommended. Hot pants or micro skirts also recommended.

Dressed like that, you can go anywhere, do anything and nobody will bat an eyelid :ph34r::D:ph34r:

Ahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!! :ph34r::D:ph34r:

Two of the three of us are in our 40s, so I guess mini skirts are out!!! The third is in her 20s (grrrrrr :D ), so we may have to act as chaperones.

But thanks for the tips, guys - much appreciated! Will check out the Ireland thread now.

Badger #1

Ahahahahahahahaha!!!!!!! <_<:D:(

Two of the three of us are in our 40s, so I guess mini skirts are out!!! The third is in her 20s (grrrrrr :) ), so we may have to act as chaperones.

But thanks for the tips, guys - much appreciated! Will check out the Ireland thread now.

Badger #1

you will have a great time, we did! the night life is FAB too :o

I visited dublin last year with family and enjoyed it, the worst part is if walking the streets in the evening outside every club there are around 30 smokers having a fag, apart from that, im sure youll love the place.

It's the same here in Wales :) , and you'll find the same thing once the ban comes in to affect in England :)

there's a new law on the cards that will mean you can't smoke within 5 meters of any public building that should clear things up and put the cat among the pidgeons :anitongue:

What a brilliant law! I was in Dublin last May with GeoDog and the poor wee lad accidentally stepped on a lit discarded fag butt. It was a pitiful watching him and hearing him shriek in so much pain from a burnt paw.

Smokers really need to think about assistance dogs working in city centre streets before they throw lit butts down. In fact, I am due to be making a press release in my "work" hat this week on this topic before the ban comes into effect here.

On a much happier note, GeoDog, Kaz and myself had a wonderful time caching in Dublin, I got my all time record for caches in a day (14) and we found the natives very friendly :P We often fondly remember the wonderful bash we attended there.

Edited by Dorsetgal & GeoDog

On a much happier note, GeoDog, Kaz and myself had a wonderful time caching in Dublin, I got my all time record for caches in a day (14) and we found the natives very friendly :P We often fondly remember the wonderful bash we attended there.

I remember it well and the soft rain that fell also :anitongue: