Decon Container.....How do you get it water resistant/proof

I have a few but none have any gaskets

If I were to put a gasket in it would that actually work?

I have read where someone said that they have never seen one with a gasket, is there a reason, maybe because it still won't help the situation

If you have put a gasket in one where did you get the gasket and did it seal the container?

Thanks

We have a couple left and none of them have gaskets. We can't remember ever seeing any gaskets in them either. The lids fit so tight that there is no need for a gasket.

Fill your's with something heavy, put it in a bucket of water and see what happens. I'll bet if you get the lid on tight it will not leak.

Check it out and see. :ph34r:

Decon containers make great weather resistant geocaches. The problem is that your cache gets found by one of the following types of cachers:

A= too dadgum lazy to be bothered putting the lid on correctly

B= those cachers who aren't as smart as a decon container, and have no clue as to how to properly close them.

If your lucky, you'll have cachers that do know how to properly close them, and ensure that they actually close them correctly. Sadly geocaching is filled with (A and B ) type cachers. :ph34r:

Edited by Kit Fox

I have read where someone said that they have never seen one with a gasket, is there a reason, maybe because it still won't help the situation

If you have put a gasket in one where did you get the gasket and did it seal the container?

Thanks

I've had bad luck with decon boxes and it's not just lazy cache owners. Many have had ill fitting lids that you

can actually jiggle when it is in place. Even the ones that snap tightly leak.

I've tried the gasket route. First with an O ring I purchased at a hardware store. It made closing the lid snugly impossible. Next attempt was a length of Teflon tape twisted and stuffed in the rim of the lid. I was able to close the lid, but it didn't work and in fact made the leaks worse.

I eventually gave up and pulled all my caches that had decon boxes and replaced them with small Lock n Locks.

Having purchased about 50 of the things over the years from a number of sources, I've never found one with a gasket. I'm beginning to doubt that they ever had gaskets.

I've never seen a Decon container with a lid gasket.

I've found that Decon container lids don't survive being opened and closed very well on a cold winter day. On the few I've used for my own caches, the lids tended to crack and I eventually replaced them with other containers.

I've seen several Decons that were full of wet items, one of which was in a pool of murky week-old rainwater. I have to believe at least that 1 leaked. Lid was on tight and last visit was months before. Most all of the ones I have seen were nice and dry - seems like it is at best a little of a gamble.

Nebraska/Wyoming cold winters might also affect them.

We have had good luck with them. They have pretty much replaced film cans in my area.

I think it's a function of how familier people are with them. Once you have seen a few you know how to close them correctly.

The one thing you have control over is location. If you place the container such that it's not going to get inundated, the waterproof is just gravy.

Thanks

I have a few of these out as caches and have had zero problems with them. I simply placed a Bold, Red note inside the lid asking cachers to be sure that all 4 corners snap shut tightly. If the container is closed properly it is fine.

I've never seen one with a gasket. I believe that to be a myth.

I don't know how many folks are experienced with these highly technical pieces of equipment!!!!! I had about 20 years of experience with them. The black ones, training kits, and the green ones, actual decon kits never had gaskets. If closed properly, most were somewhat watertight. While I would not wanted mine to leak, back in the day, it was not a show stopper. The contents of these containers were packed in a watertight packages. Old Army!!!!!!!

They don't have gaskets, but that's not the problem. The problem is that the strap gets caught under the lid unless you are very careful to position it out of the way.

Lock & Locks rule. They have gaskets and positive locking. Like ammo boxes, you know when they're locked shut, and unlike ammo boxes, they don't look like they hold live ammunition.

They don't have gaskets, but that's not the problem. The problem is that the strap gets caught under the lid unless you are very careful to position it out of the way.

Lock & Locks rule. They have gaskets and positive locking. Like ammo boxes, you know when they're locked shut, and unlike ammo boxes, they don't look like they hold live ammunition.

Ouch!!!!! :):):) That's like having your you-know-what caught in your zipper!!!!!! :):D:) Attention to detail will ensure you don't get your strap caught between the lip and a hard spot!!!!! :D:):D

I have not experiences any leaking problems with Decon containers. Regarding them though, I wonder if the makers of them make a similar, larger container. I'm sure they must be made by a civilian contractor. Anyone have contacts or ideas on how to contact the maker? It would be way cool to get one about 4 times larger!