Starbucks Lids for SWAG

I searched the net and came up empty.

I found a Starbucks lid in a cache last week and geo-junked it out.

I found another in a cache nearby and we thought it might be part of a rebate or something. Not only was it in a couple more caches that day- but the cachers wrote that they left in their logs.

Its just a metal screw cap for like a glass bottle.

Is it geo-junk or something more?

just an fyi~ for anyone in an area that gets turkey hill milk products, they do have a lid with a sticker that says "moo milk"...these ARE valuable for the many places that collect them for charity, our synagogue does, as a matter of fact.

i don't know about the starbucks lids...maybe ask the cooperagency member? (that may not be the right name, but they do a series of SBUX caches...)

I found another in a cache nearby and we thought it might be part of a rebate or something. Not only was it in a couple more caches that day- but the cachers wrote that they left in their logs.

Sounds like their sigitem to me

Sounds like their sigitem to me

If it is I want one. I like sig items :ph34r:

It kinda annoys me when people leave stuff like that in geocaches, even if it IS a sig item. I've seen one cache where one logged 'traded' item was an empty match box. As in... a thick paper/cardboard/whatever box for matches, that was empty. I was ABOUT to CITO it, but saw in the paper log when I was there that they wrote that they left it... so I left it in case it was... I dunno... collectable or something. I had no clue. Somehow, I doubt it, since it was damp and somewhat mangled. In retrospect, I still should have CITO'd it.

But yeah... even as a signature item, it annoys me when things like that are left. I can't imagine what goes through their mind... "Hmm... random stuff I've been collecting that 99% of other people throw out (ie: matchbooks, bottle caps, lids, etc). Let's use it as a cache item." Although, in the matchbook thing, they traded it FOR something, which generally I see it as being in bad taste to use a signature item (if it was even that) to trade for other items in the cache (except other people's signature items... but I typically trade something non-signature for those too :ph34r:).

And while I'm on the rant... someone else or another leaves baseball cards in caches. This isn't nearly as bad, but I still just find it a tad annoying, since I swear that no matter how dry everything else in the cache is, the baseball card in there somehow manages to be damp and mangled.

Then again, in my opinion, if you have a signature item made of paper, you could "laminate" it with clear packaging tape or actual laminate. Luckly, my sig item is made of stainless steel :D

It kinda annoys me when people leave stuff like that in geocaches, even if it IS a sig item. I've seen one cache where one logged 'traded' item was an empty match box. As in... a thick paper/cardboard/whatever box for matches, that was empty. I was ABOUT to CITO it, but saw in the paper log when I was there that they wrote that they left it... so I left it in case it was... I dunno... collectable or something. I had no clue. Somehow, I doubt it, since it was damp and somewhat mangled. In retrospect, I still should have CITO'd it.

But yeah... even as a signature item, it annoys me when things like that are left. I can't imagine what goes through their mind... "Hmm... random stuff I've been collecting that 99% of other people throw out (ie: matchbooks, bottle caps, lids, etc). Let's use it as a cache item." Although, in the matchbook thing, they traded it FOR something, which generally I see it as being in bad taste to use a signature item (if it was even that) to trade for other items in the cache (except other people's signature items... but I typically trade something non-signature for those too :ph34r:).

And while I'm on the rant... someone else or another leaves baseball cards in caches. This isn't nearly as bad, but I still just find it a tad annoying, since I swear that no matter how dry everything else in the cache is, the baseball card in there somehow manages to be damp and mangled.

Then again, in my opinion, if you have a signature item made of paper, you could "laminate" it with clear packaging tape or actual laminate. Luckly, my sig item is made of stainless steel :D

Don't be so quick to judge a matchbox as junk.

They do tend to fetch a good price.

Eh, I see them asking $50, but I don't see anyone bidding it yet. :D

But yes, people will collect the oddest things. I'm guessing that a serious matchbook collector would like them intact, without the matches used and striker plates soiled.

an empty match box. As in... a thick paper/cardboard/whatever box for matches, that was empty.

I used to collect them too, going back to college days. At one point I had 10 1-gallon glass jars full. I think I only have 4 left though.

What does it say about a person if their sig item, is something that 99% of all other cachers view as geotrash? :D

If someone is going to leave baseball cards or matchbooks/boxes (some of which are quite cool) in a cache, then putting them in a ziplock with an explanation of WHY it's a cool trade would separate it from the geotrash category.....

"This matchbox came from the Tonga Room in SF in the 1940s.....

"This is Honus Wagner's only card........

That would make things interesting. Bet a lot more folks would scramble up some rock pile to find one of those!

I don't think I've EVER seen a baseball card in a cache that wasn't a soggy mess.

Yep- Id remove it...JUST FOR BEING STARBUCKS!!! Not really...Id remove it because it is Geo-Junk!

Just removed a Monster can from a cache, but left the green tab! I dont like to see anything that you would see in a trash can in a cache. Although I saw a thread on a Trache can cache...Where all this useless stuff can be placed...That would be interesting to see all the Junk people leave.

Edited by 007BigD

I found a cache about a month ago with an empty box of .22 ammo (no, it wasn't the ammo can itself :D ) and a Starbuck's thermal sleeve. And this was in the deep woods. So, I'm assuming the sleeve was a 'trade' item (though of questionable value), and the .22 box was from some kids that were out plunkin' stumps or squirrels, or something. And, yup, I CITO'd both.

Sounds like the cachers were too lazy to carry out their garbage. I did find a Snapple Cap cache once. I guess they have some redeeming value. But Starbucks caps? Geotrash!

If the cacher said they left the Starbucks lid when the signed the logbook .Why not just email them for the answer to why they left it.They could give the only explination.

I remember seeing it in the log at the cache. I could not find the same info on the online logs.

My first thought was it is trash.

Then i saw it again, and again, and thought that it might be a nice gesture if there was some sort of promotion to collect these. I assumed there must be otherwise why would someone leave that? I cam home and couldn't find the info.

If i would have thought, i guess i could have wrote their name down.

Eh, I see them asking $50, but I don't see anyone bidding it yet. B)

But yes, people will collect the oddest things. I'm guessing that a serious matchbook collector would like them intact, without the matches used and striker plates soiled.

an empty match box. As in... a thick paper/cardboard/whatever box for matches, that was empty.

I used to collect them too, going back to college days. At one point I had 10 1-gallon glass jars full. I think I only have 4 left though.

What does it say about a person if their sig item, is something that 99% of all other cachers view as geotrash? :lol:

The matchboxes are flattened indicating there are no matches in them. Artwork is the redeeming value on these and yes the better the condition, the better the value, such as in coins. Just because it is worn out doesn't mean it is valueless. I can point out some classic cars that are still rusting away in a barn around here that are pieces of junk but will still fetch a good price.

Edited by TotemLake