Etrex Vista C Rubber band

Sierra Rat

I have an Etrex Vista C and the rubber that runs around the side of the GPSr is coming lose around both sides near the top. The original Vista C that I had was sent back after I had it for 9 months for the same problem. The unit was under warrantee and Garmin replaced it with a refurbished unit. Now, 9 months later, I'm having the same problem with this unit. Two issues; first, the unit is no longer under warrantee and I really don't want to keep paying to repair the unit every 9 months and secondly, I don't want to be unable to cache for 3-4 weeks while I wait for the unit to be repaired. Have any of you experienced this problem and does anyone have a fix, other than sending the unit back to Garmin?

Thanks for the help, Sierra Rat

I have an Etrex Vista C and the rubber that runs around the side of the GPSr is coming lose around both sides near the top. The original Vista C that I had was sent back after I had it for 9 months for the same problem. The unit was under warrantee and Garmin replaced it with a refurbished unit. Now, 9 months later, I'm having the same problem with this unit. Two issues; first, the unit is no longer under warrantee and I really don't want to keep paying to repair the unit every 9 months and secondly, I don't want to be unable to cache for 3-4 weeks while I wait for the unit to be repaired. Have any of you experienced this problem and does anyone have a fix, other than sending the unit back to Garmin?

This seems to be a consistant problem with the E-Trexes. As an engineer, I'd call it a design flaw...

You might try contact Garmin even though it is not in warrantee, I have heard of people getting their units fixed even though the unit is not under warrantee. (Garmin should, after all, given the design...IMHO, anyway.)

If you bought your unit at REI, you could take it back for refund or credit on a new one...

Or you can repair it yourself. With my wife's Etrex, I removed the rubber band and cleaned all the old stickum off of it. Then I found a 3M branded double sided sticky tape (this comes on a carrier strip -- you stick one side down, remove the carrier strip and then stick whatever you are going to stick to the other side...). I trimmed it to fit, stuck it down, removed the carrier and then replaced the rubber band thingy. I was careful not to get the sticky stuff too close to the buttons. This has worked very well -- though now it is starting to show signs that I will need to repeat the process. (FWIW, my repair has lasted longer than 9 months...)

What about super gluing it back.

What about super gluing it back.

:ph34r: How about camo'ed duct tape????

I had the same problem with my Vista C. I emailed Garmin, and they sent me a new band, and the double-sticky tape to adhere it. The tape is die-cut to fit exactly around the sides. It was real easy, Garmin didn't charge me, and it hasn't had the same problem since.

Dave

I had the same problem with my Vista C. I emailed Garmin, and they sent me a new band, and the double-sticky tape to adhere it. The tape is die-cut to fit exactly around the sides. It was real easy, Garmin didn't charge me, and it hasn't had the same problem since.

Dave

How has it been since you made the replacement?

Ahh, glad to know this isn't just my unit. My original eTrex Legend was replaced due to the band coming off and now my Legend cx has the same trouble. Glue and desert sun don't get along.

I tried superglue, but it only held for another week or so. Thanks for the advice to email Garmin.

Dave

How has it been since you made the replacement?

It worked fine. I think the glue on the new tape may have been a bit better...however, I only used it for 3 or 4 months after the fix. Then I got my 60CSX. We still use the Vista C when we are all out together, but it doesn't get as much use as before...

It was easy, and it was cheap, and it made a great improvement...so I think you should do it! B)

I too have an eTrex Vista C that is just about 2 years old and the same thing has happened to my unit. It actually has been coming off for about the past 6 months. Obviously, my GPSr is out of warranty, so I never planned to do anything about it. The last time I called them for an issue, they told me to send it in and there would be a $175 fee to look at my unit. For the small crack in my display, I lived with it.

Because of this thread, I called Garmin this morning and spoke to a technical service rep, who checked, and is going to send me a new rubber gasket for my GPSr.

Great customer service!!

-Kevin

I received my replacement gasket and tape yesterday. I cleaned off the old tape with Goo Gone yesterday and let it dry out overnight. I replaced the tape and the gasket today, looks great.

For anyone with this unique problem with the Vista series, call Garmin and ask for a replacement. It didn't cost me a thing.

Kevin

Because of this thread, I called Garmin this morning and spoke to a technical service rep, who checked, and is going to send me a new rubber gasket for my GPSr.

Great customer service!!

-Kevin

Dang, wish they'd offered me that option. I sent in the unit (out of warranty) and they replaced it, at no charge. Refurbished unit I am sure but anyway... So I now haven't got a scratched screen but also don't have my ten dollar screen protector.. guess that one evened out. Got a "new" unit so.. the maps were locked. Took me a while to figure out I needed a new unlock code to go with the new serial number and to get that bit of information. Then went caching and helped a friend place caches. Found out gee.. I was back to the old software version as well and 40 feet off. It was just one aggravation after another. They better not send me a customer satisfaction questionaire! <_<

UPDATE

I tried the RTV silicone sealant and it really didn't hold very well, plus the glue in other areas along the band started coming lose. Base on the relies to my earlier posts, I called Garmin today and asked about their sending a new band and the glue template. Well, as they say, good news / bad news. The customer rep told me that they will send parts to repair the eTrex Vista, but not the eTrex Vista C. The Vista C must be sent in to have the repairs made. The good news is that, while my unit is now more than one and a half years old and out of warranty, they will do the replacement without charge.