How to photograph geocoins?

markz68

Can anyone give me some pointers on photographing my geocoins?

I don't want to spend a bunch of money on equipment. I'd like to be able to just use things I might already have. I have a decent digital camera with macro mode. I saw a little photo studio setup at Walmart today for around $50, but I don't want to spend that much since I am not making money on coins. I just wanna dress up their pages! If I were making money selling things on the E place or something, I'd be willing to put more money into a proper setup. Basically, I just want to attach pictures of my coins top their pages on my trackables tab.

The pictures I toyed with yesterday were either too dark or the flash reflected off the coins.

What ScoutingWV and CinemaBoxers wrote is the answer you seek. Never use a flash on geocoins; in fact, never use a flash at all, for any shot, if you can avoid it, as this causes a digital camera to actually "close" a little, in anticipation of the extra light. Also, flash makes the photos too shiny. Use your "Close-up" setting (oftentimes it has a small flower), hold your camera about four-six inches away from the coins, so that they are clear and large, but do not fill up the frame (you can crop them later), and angle your shot a little so that there is just a hint of shadow, which makes the details stand out better. You do not need a tripod or anything like that, although it won't hurt to use one if you have one; most people can hold a camera steady enough for shots like this. If you can adjust the settings, use a high speed such as ASA 200 or 400. Most of your shots will be very good for the webpages of your coins. I do the same thing for all of our coins; take a look at our profile, at any of the geocoins, and you'll see that it's very easy to get decent shots of geocoins. But the most-important thing is to be in the shade, outdoors. Good luck! :ph34r:

Thanks for all the answers. I no longer have an operational scanner, so I will try the shots outside.

My camera does have the close-up/macro setting so I will give that a try.

So, white paper is what I want? I have seen others suggest a black background.

This is my first try at photgraphing coins in a macro mode. I didn't even know my camera had it until now. I took this in indirect sunlight outside. The black around it is the foam insert I use to hold the coin in my album..yes, I took the insert out before photographing it. :rolleyes: How is this attempt?

ETA: I just noticed I have a white cat hair on the coin! LOL

2007_CR_LE.jpg

Edited by Arthur & Trillian

If you really want to be serious about photographing coins, some sellers on ebay sell a mini-lightbox kit for photographing products. It looks like a small white fabric dog crate, and has lighting inside, along with 'built in' backgrounds and shooting surfaces.

I want one BADLY, but can't bring myself to spend the money. LOL

They do indeed work well though - I have an entire photographers lightbox set for portraits, etc.. and it works the same, but on a smaller scale. (I always say theres NO WAY Im setting up my entire portrait set when I shoot ONE coin.... so someday the small one will be an investment!)

If you really want to be serious about photographing coins, some sellers on ebay sell a mini-lightbox kit for photographing products. It looks like a small white fabric dog crate, and has lighting inside, along with 'built in' backgrounds and shooting surfaces.

They do indeed work well though - I have an entire photographers lightbox set for portraits, etc.. and it works the same, but on a smaller scale. (I always say theres NO WAY Im setting up my entire portrait set when I shoot ONE coin.... so someday the small one will be an investment!)

That sounds like the thing I saw at Walmart the other day. It was about $50. I don't know what it is called so I couldn't find it on walmart.com to link here.

<snip>

So, white paper is what I want? I have seen others suggest a black background.

I like black because it makes the colors pop a bit more, but either works with a properly metered shot. Keep in mind though, that if you are using an auto exposure setting on your camera this may make the camera overexpose a touch. If you decide to use black and it causes this problem you can use manual settings if your camera allows. If it does, set up your shot then extend your non-camera holding hand to be in the same light as the coin. Take a meter reading of your extended hand and use it to shoot the coin.

$50 at Walmart!? Thats a great price - Ill have to look for them. In the photo section??? Id buy one at that! Please do let me know!

Yes, it was in the photo dept. I didn't look at it closely, because I didn't realize I wanted to do this till later that night when I remembered seeing it there. I may go look at it tonight.

I just found that myself today too! I would think it would work.

I am toying with building one myself. Check out this link I just found with plans to build one:

http://www.pbase.com/wlhuber/light_box_light_tent

There's also a very nice flash-based tutorial on building it on that page.

Looks like it's about $15 minus the lights.

I am toying with building one myself. Check out this link I just found with plans to build one:

WOW, that was a very nice tutorial. I had a hard time pulling myself away from it. Rather than building I think I would rather by someting that is a little more compact and it is the same price to buy one than to build one

WOW, that was a very nice tutorial. I had a hard time pulling myself away from it. Rather than building I think I would rather by someting that is a little more compact and it is the same price to buy one than to build one

Yeah, you are probably right. Since I am only wanting to photograph a few coins, the one you linked to would be nice probably. Looks like it just folds up to put away.

ignore

Edited by DWBur

I checked out the Walmart one - I like everything BUT the included background colors. Grey and blue?? No red, or black? DOH!

That was the only breaking factor for me... Im searchin' online!

I got stuck working late and didn;t get to Walmart tonight. I wanted to check it out better. Was it a hard box or one of those softsided things? Was it $50? It came with lights, right? Could you use posterboard or something for additional backgrounds?

I have tried two different nights now to do the suggestions in this thread about shooting outside in the shade. The pictures are too dark in the shade and there are shadows in the light.

I have been doing this in the evening 5:30-6:30 EST. Is there a better time of day I should be trying this?

I checked out the Walmart one - I like everything BUT the included background colors. Grey and blue?? No red, or black? DOH!

That was the only breaking factor for me... Im searchin' online!

Is this the same as the Walmart set?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewI...A:IT&ih=010

I only saw the one at Walmart in passing, but this sounds like it with the blue & grey backgrounds.