Log pictures that give away too much information

I wish that I could know when a picture is uploaded in a log to one of my caches w/o having to to go to the log on the web whenever a new one shows up; or is there a way? Anyway what do you people think about pictures that show up with the finder holding the cache, so now people know exactly what they are looking for, and even worse, with the hiding spot showing in the background. I don't want to delete the guy's messages but sure wish I could delete the pictures.

I have just suggested to him that he is giving away too much information.

-it

I usually just email them from the link on their profile and ask them politely to remove the picture and say why. They should know not to do that - but it's ok. If they don't respond or remove the picture I would DELETE it. For the record it has only happened twice in 3 years and they both deleted the picture and responded as well. Newbies or clueless sometimes just forget.

I really don't mind photos of someone holding my cache in the logs in most instances. Likewise I've often photographed myself, or my wife holding the cache and never had an owner complain. Hey, if you've seen one ammo box or Lock n Lock you've seen them all.

Now if the cache is a uniquely camoed container like a fake pine cone or fake rock, then I wouldn't appreciate people posting photographs of the cache and wouldn't dream of posting one in my log.

As far as the hiding spot being shown in the background, I don't have a problem with that either, as viewers would have no idea that it's the hiding place unless it is pointed out in the log. I do however try to move away from the cache site if I snap a photo of the prize.

Now photos of the cache tucked in its hiding place would bother me.

I usually just email them from the link on their profile and ask them politely to remove the picture and say why. They should know not to do that - but it's ok. If they don't respond or remove the picture I would DELETE it. For the record it has only happened twice in 3 years and they both deleted the picture and responded as well. Newbies or clueless sometimes just forget.

Can you rename the pictures for a cache you own?

Otherwise, just leave the pictures. The pages do say:

Warning. Spoilers may be included in the descriptions or links.

I think deleting them is very extreme. That is fooling with people logs. It is your cache, but their log.

People don't have to look at the pictured, logs, or hint. It's their cache experience. If they choose to diminish it by looking at pictures I guess it's their business. I see logs all the time of local caches where I know people haven't found caches that they are logging. Their descriptions are all wrong. Maybe some of them are confusing caches but some are just plain lying. In the end it's their experience.

People don't have to look at the pictured, logs, or hint. It's their cache experience.

I look. After i find the cache. The only ones i look at before are the ones that are meant to be seen in their description.

If they weren't meant to be seen then i don't look before. Just like i don't use the clues unless i feel i need it.

I write logs mainly as a record of my visit for my family. Its just a bonus that others can view/use them. That is how i use them. Others use them differently or not at all.

I hate it when people write the same thing in every log.

TNLNSL TFTC :-)

One of the locals that goes after caches around here does beautiful portraits. One of my caches he took photos of the hiding place, but from about 20-30 feet away. You can see the location, but not the hide.

I didn't delete it. I thought it was very artistic and his presentation was beautiful. I would love to learn photography from him.

[Otherwise, just leave the pictures. The pages do say:

Warning. Spoilers may be included in the descriptions or links.

I think deleting them is very extreme. That is fooling with people logs. It is your cache, but their log.

This makes no sense. The spoilers in the cache logs are the ones that the owner permits. I have one hide that I consider tricky. That's part of the game. If anyone posted a picture of it, I would delete first, and then explain why. The same reasoning goes for mystery caches. If anyone posted "The solution to the puzzle is..." It would get an immediated deletion! I see no difference between the two. It is not fooling with people's logs. They have the opportunity to repost a 'found it' without giving away the solutions. In other words, they have the opportunity to behave as responsible cachers. If they choose not to do so, that is the risk that they take.

There is a great local mystery cache. At the first stage a question is asked. Depending on your answer to that question, you might take the easy route, or the difficult route. People have posted which is the easy route. Why bother presenting a challenge if cachers can give away the secret?

Delete it!