Custom Software

I am wanting to take an aerial photo, trace some boundaries within that photo (fencelines, roads, etc.), and then import those boundaries into MapSource so that I can download them onto my Garmin Rino 530. Does any one know of a good software to do that? I don't want to spend too much money if I don't have to.

Thanks!

One suggestion would be to use software like OziExplorer that allows you to use the photo as a background image. The procedure would be to scan your photo, import this image file into Ozi then create a track(s) over the boundaries and ,finally, transfer these tracks to your GPS. Note that to use the photo in Ozi you'll need to know the lat/long of several points on photo to calibrate (georeference) it.

I am wanting to take an aerial photo, trace some boundaries within that photo (fencelines, roads, etc.), and then import those boundaries into MapSource so that I can download them onto my Garmin Rino 530. Does any one know of a good software to do that? I don't want to spend too much money if I don't have to.

Thanks!

Totally free: Locate the aerial photo in Google Earth. Trace the outline of the boundaries with the path tool. Save as a .kml file. Get GPSBabel and convert the .kml file to either .gpx or .gdb, MapSource will open either.

GPSBabel here.

Is there a limit on how many points a track can have? The reason I ask is because I did the path tool in Google Earth like recommended above and it worked great except that when I download the track into my GPS from MapSource only half of the track shows up. It shows up fine in MapSource, but only half of it makes it to my GPS unit. Any ideas?

Try naming it ACTIVE LOG before sending it to your GPS. Typically on Garmin's the ACTIVE LOG is 10000 points while all other saved tracks are limited to 500 points. Not sure if this holds for the Rino 530.

Edit: Change TRACK to LOG

Edited by PDOP's

Is there a limit on how many points a track can have? The reason I ask is because I did the path tool in Google Earth like recommended above and it worked great except that when I download the track into my GPS from MapSource only half of the track shows up. It shows up fine in MapSource, but only half of it makes it to my GPS unit. Any ideas?

If you search the threads you will find info on custom maps. You can simply trace in GE then convert to .gpx file and then use gpsmapedit, cgsmapper, mapsettoolkit and make a custom map of the bounderies. All of these are free and you won't loose anything once uploaded.