Proposal for 3 new terms for the Geolex

We were checking out the geolex, laughed when we read the term geostripes. We put a good deal of thought into three terms we would like to see added to the lexicon.

1. Webmaster: The person at the front of the line who gets all the spider webs in the face. Can be shared by more than one person if there is a big height difference, and the tallest person is not in front.

2. Cachelash: Injury(ies) suffered by person(s) following another from the whipping of branch(es) backlashing after person(s) in front have gone by. May or may not leave welts, draw blood, and or cause extreme violent reactions towards leading team member(s).

3. Geozits: Red spots, may be raised and/or slightly cream-filled, geocachers develop from being stabbed, poked, and/or pricked by various cacher-unfriendly flora, such as nasty-sword-bearing-trees, stinging nettles, wild rose bushes, and those plants with the furry, stinging leaves. Many times these spots still contain the tips of the plants' weapon of choice. May need to be squeezed, poked with a needle, and/or cut out with a dull blade. Similar to geostripes.

Can we add them, huh, can we?

Rainbow, Elf, and Arty

Sorry, but no. It doesn't really work that way. The word has to achieve some level of general usage first. Then it might get added.

Before I add a term that someone has suggested, I do a google search to see how often it's used, and who is using it. A few terms have been submitted that did get a number of hits, but they were all from a small regional group, or sometimes just one person. That's not general usage. I've even edited out a few terms that initially looked like they were catching on, but then quietly faded into obscurity.

The most recent addition was ALR. There was already a definition for Logging Requirement, but "ALR" has quickly come into common use, especially since the latest Guidelines addressed them.

"ROW" probably needs to be added as well. I see it used more and more in cache descriptions.

Sorry, but no. It doesn't really work that way. The word has to achieve some level of general usage first. Then it might get added.

Before I add a term that someone has suggested, I do a google search to see how often it's used, and who is using it. A few terms have been submitted that did get a number of hits, but they were all from a small regional group, or sometimes just one person. That's not general usage. I've even edited out a few terms that initially looked like they were catching on, but then quietly faded into obscurity.

The most recent addition was ALR. There was already a definition for Logging Requirement, but "ALR" has quickly come into common use, especially since the latest Guidelines addressed them.

"ROW" probably needs to be added as well. I see it used more and more in cache descriptions.

Oh, goodness. What does ROW mean? :blink:

3. Geozits: Red spots, may be raised and/or slightly cream-filled, geocachers develop from being stabbed, poked, and/or pricked by various cacher-unfriendly flora, such as nasty-sword-bearing-trees, stinging nettles, wild rose bushes, and those plants with the furry, stinging leaves.

Um...cream?

Cream?!

Well, I started to type pus**, as in containing pus, but I got to the second "s" and just stopped and thought about that for a minute. I then tried to come up with a less offensive looking word. I was trying to refer to the whitish substance that forms around the sliver. Jeepers, no matter what I say, I seem to be just shoving more and more toes in my mouth. Let's just go with white goop.

Elf

3. Geozits: Red spots, may be raised and/or slightly cream-filled, geocachers develop from being stabbed, poked, and/or pricked by various cacher-unfriendly flora, such as nasty-sword-bearing-trees, stinging nettles, wild rose bushes, and those plants with the furry, stinging leaves. Many times these spots still contain the tips of the plants' weapon of choice. May need to be squeezed, poked with a needle, and/or cut out with a dull blade. Similar to geostripes.

Can we add them, huh, can we?

Rainbow, Elf, and Arty

Howdy......

Happened to me today :ph34r: It's all part of GEOCACHING...... :D

Vern / Foothills Drifter :ph34r:

Edited by Foothills Drifter

Well, I started to type pus**, as in containing pus, but I got to the second "s" and just stopped and thought about that for a minute. I then tried to come up with a less offensive looking word. I was trying to refer to the whitish substance that forms around the sliver. Jeepers, no matter what I say, I seem to be just shoving more and more toes in my mouth. Let's just go with white goop.

Elf

Why not simply say "pus-filled?"

Elf

Why not simply say "pus-filled?"

Or you could have just provided a link, though you have to wait a couple minutes to get to the pertinent moment.

I wish all the entries had anchors to share links with people that need that info. Of course that is a lot of work.

They all do. For example, http://geolex.locusprime.net/#GeoStripes

I see that some are. But not all. For instance CITO. What is the link for that?

No, they ALL have anchors.

CITO is http://geolex.locusprime.net/#CITO

If you use the FF Web Developer add-on, it lets you see all available anchors on any web page.

20070612012358ab2.png

Edited by Prime Suspect