Purchasing a Magellan explorist 600 GPS. Opinions?

Just thought I'd ask some opinions..

From what I read, at least in USA, Garmin 60csx seems to be more popular. I however dislike the potruding antenna that makes it tough to place the unit between dashboard and windshield in car for occational use there.

From forums, it seem Magellan looses fix less often and also (in case of explorist 600) have a better compass.

It also seems service is equal for Garmin and Magellan in Finland, where I'm from..

Somehow I just seem to like Magellan explorist 600 and I feel like this could be my GPS.

These things however cost a lot of money, so I'd like to hear some opinions of why I should or should not pick an Magellan explorist 600 over an Garmin 60csx.

Please note that service issues does not apply.

Ah, and the XL seems a bit too big.

edit: very popular -> more popular

Edited by angulion

I was a Magellan Man used MariGold for 1000+ caches. I decided to go with the Garmin 60csx when I wanted to up grade.

Two big reasons.

#1 There must be a reason why the 60csx is so popular.

#2 Customer service

We still use the MariGold. It's nice to have two GPSers in the field.

Nick

To help with your research, look at the FAQ pinned at the top of this section. Do a search for past topics. Go to the Yahoo Explorist Group and read posts and FAQs.

I have had the 500 since it came out. The 600 adds an electronic compass, which I do not need since I always carry a compass and it sights better than any electronic compass.

What I like: Most advanced file management system of any GPSr, nice compact size, handy Li-Ion battery and charging system, excellent receiver for difficult locations. The sub US$200 price makes it a great value.

i have a 60cx and a 210 and i love the 210 over the 60cx only thing i like better is the geocaching mode it is a lot better than magellans but on the way to the cache the tri axis compass on the magellan is 10x better. and your antenna will get dinged up a lot on the 60 garmin has tougher plastic magellan has tougher rubber. on the 60s all that keeps your gps from getting wet is a little rubber flap compared to my exposed water proof port on my magellan. soak that thing in water and it works fine! but with my garmin i get nervous when it rains. :ph34r: