What happened to Canada's Capital Cachers forum?

Wayfinder Zukon

Tried several times yesterday, and this morning, still no luck. Maybe transferring to the new ISP is taking some time...

Assuming it has moved, and that move is complete (i.e. the site is there waiting for users)...

The site could be moved, but DNS changes take time to propagate around the internet. Normally the "time to live" flag is set at around 4-7 days, if YOUR service provider has a DNS record cached because you surfed to the site on Friday, it won't check for an update until something like Tuesday (or maybe Friday, or whatever), unless something happens that flushes the DNS cache.

When the time to live expires, your service provider's DNS will update and you'll see the site again

Since I’m in the middle of changing both of my website to a new provider, the forum will be down for a short period of time. Also it looks like my backup for the forum isn’t working and it looks like people will have to register all over (Sorry) It looks like what I’ll do is start the forum all over on the ottawageocaching.com site, once I get access to it, since the site is again down for what ever reason.

Sorry To hear DE! I look forward to the new site - Thanks for hosting all these years!

Edited by Juicepig

geosquid, is there a way to circumvent the wait time?

Yes, but you'd have to know the IP address. Then you could edit /etc/hosts (UNIX) or %WINDOWS%/System32/Drivers/etc/hosts (Losedows) and enter in:

###.###.###.### newdomain.name

where ### is the IP address and newdomain.name is the domain name.

In any case, the moved forums seem to be up and can be found at:

http://www.ottawageocaching.com/forum