Can a Cache be put next to a benchmark ?

ak20below

Sure they can.

I have more than one cache that is placed very near to a benchmark, or somehow otherwise incorporates a benchmark into the cache location or description. Cache GCD754, "Do not pass GO. Do not collect $200." was placed by my wife while she patiently waited for me to log a few marks. PID GU1072 & PID GU3368 are both referenced on the cache page and much easier to find than the cache. Cache GCQHD1, "Kin Folk" is placed within 5 feet of PID GU3372, designated "KIN", which gave the cache its name. Most people actually step over the mark to get to the cache. I have a few others caches that use benhmarks and have more in the works.

- Kewaneh

I have one benchmark cache. My reviewer called it ''obtuse". Hee hee hee.

But, I've also done caches where the CO mentions a nearby benchmark that can be logged. And cachers are logging Reference Marks! (Sorry, if the benchmark still exists, it's under the parking lot. Or it's 70' west.) So, do be careful that the benchmark is really there, and can be found. If there are reference marks, mention that as well.

B) Thanks for all the info on benchmarks and caches. I live in Alaska and in my area no one is active in finding bench marks, so I thought doing both would get the cachers out there a little more. there are hundreds of benchmarks in a small are where I live. thanks again.

There is a benchmark on the campus of the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign that is in a "well" with a manholelike cover over it and a small cache in an altoids container with magnets attached to the inside of the lid. works very nicely.

:) Thanks for all the info on benchmarks and caches. I live in Alaska and in my area no one is active in finding bench marks, so I thought doing both would get the cachers out there a little more. there are hundreds of benchmarks in a small are where I live. thanks again.

Thanks, Patty! Find 5 specific Disney benchmarks at Disney California Adventure, and you can log a genuine cache find. It's an "old" virtual geocache, grandfathered in, so you can't make any new ones anymore like it.

And then you can look for the other 10 at DCA and more in Disneyland and in nearby Downtown Disney, benchmarks 24 in all. They can all be logged as Waymarks, if you are so inclined. Also a bunch at Disneyworld, FL. Patty is the Disney benchmark guru, with the definitive Disney Benchmark website.

End Disney commercial.

Edited by Klemmer & TeddyBearMama

I was wondering If a cache (Micro) can be put with in 20ft. of a benchmark and get posted? You can get credit for finding the cache and the benchmark?

No reason not to...other than the obvious ones (private property, etc).

Many have been hidden, both by design and accidentally.

We have yet to see a Benchmark be monumented where a cache has been previously placed, however! :anitongue: