weird proportions

Team Grumblecakes

Overall I'm very pleased with the direction the site design is headed, and I'm perfectly willing to wait for the dust to settle before picking nits - many thanks to the unsung heros at Groundspeak for all their hard work!

I do have a comment that I haven't seen addressed in the forums yet, and I wondered if anyone else had noticed this: Cache pages are arranged more or less in three vertical columns, with the menu buttons on the left: "Getting Started", Hide and Seek a Cache", etc. (on any other site this might be called the "navigation" area, but because this site *deals* with navigation, that title is reserved for the area to the right, which includes the first of two maps, and links for "log your visit", "view gallery", etc. )

In the center is the nickname for the cache, the size/difficulty/terrain, the coordinates, etc., followed by the user-editable short and long descriptions, plus the hint section.

My comment is this - the columns to the left and right tend to have only about one screen of information on them. Scroll past that, and both sides are empty. It would be nice if we could reclaim that dead space by expanding the center section to the full width of the page - it would make for shorter and more attractive cache pages, and less printing for those who have not yet gone paperless.

Keep up the good work, Groundspeak! :anitongue:

Since it is hard to read all the way across from one side of the page to another, I wouldn't want that change . . . I'm a great user of the <blockquote> code on my own web pages so the text is in a narrower, more-easy-to-read column.

I believe the latter problem is browser-specific, but I'm not sure. I rarely print cache pages. If I need info from a cache page, I'll copy and paste it into my Word Processing program.

Both Spinner and GSAK have printing options where you can get info for several caches on one page.

I have also been complaining about the narrow text that reads like a newspaper column. I also can not afford to go paperless and I do not have paper to waste.

Going paperless will save you money, unless your paper and ink are free.

I went paperless because I was tired or replacing my ink cartridges.

It cost me $25 for a used Palm IIIxe, and $8 for cachemate --which is $10 cheaper than one color + one black & white cartridge and a ream of paper for my printer---and I can use this over and over for just the cost of the batteries.