OU PhD Research into Geocaching

I'm a PhD student with the Open University in the UK researching Geocaching. I have posted up a web survey and, with the permission of Bryan from geocaching.com, placed a brief description of my research and a link to my web survey. The invitation post is here:

http://forums.Groundspeak.com/GC/index.php?showtopic=165390

Jaz666 responded in the thread and suggested that it might be a good idea to post the invitation in the UK section as many UK geocachers don't go to the main forums. As I'm a UK student, I'd hate to miss out on data from the UK contingent :anitongue:

However, it isn't good netiquette to post the same message in multiple forums, so I've just put a link to my original message in this message. Please follow the link to find out more about my research and get to the web survey.

I tried to make the survey fun to do, so do take this opportunity to tell me about your experience of geocaching.

Many thanks to everyone who has responded. I'm getting some really rich data. Many have expressed an interest in the results. Obviously, it will take me some time to do the full analysis, however I should be able to pull out the simple statistics fairly quickly and will post them up in the Groundspeak forums.

My original plan was to leave the survey live for about 3 weeks, so that means I should be able to feeback initial results sometime in July.

My thanks to everyone who has taken the time to respond. I've been "spreading the word" about geocaching and its potential through talks and workshops at the OU. It's striking how many people have not heard of it, yet when they do they're really interested. My department have purchased a number of GPS devices of various types and are loaning them out to people. I've been setting some simple campus-based caches to ease people in.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with spending time hunting for ammo boxes and other containers. :blink:

Many thanks to everyone who has responded. I'm getting some really rich data. Many have expressed an interest in the results. Obviously, it will take me some time to do the full analysis, however I should be able to pull out the simple statistics fairly quickly and will post them up in the Groundspeak forums.

Did you intend to target UK cachers? It seems like you might end up with half UK and half not, which - depending on which different ways people are bonkers worldwide - might mean that you have figures which are neither representative of the UK, nor the world as a whole.

Anyway, I filled it in, and I did say I live in France.