Paperless caching

colinaly

I came across this site www.smartcaching.de, which has downloads for various Symbian mobile phones to view pocket queries (GPX files) off line.

I have installed it on my Nokia N73 and it works great! There is no need to print out cache descriptions and hints any more and it is easier to sort and find caches than using mobipocket.

It only seems to handle 150 caches per GPX file, so I had to create a 4 GPX files in GSAK to be able to view all 500 caches from my weekly pocket query.

Now we just need a break in this wet Cape Town weather, so we can check it out in the field.

I’m curious as to what software you use for your navigation. I currently have got a N70 with holux GPS receiver using Nav4all software. Smartcaching software also works great on N70. All I need now is a premium membership for the GPX files

I’m curious as to what software you use for your navigation.

I don't use navigation software on my phone for navigation. I only use the phone for the data, and use my Garmin 60SC for the navigation.

Get that Premium Membership, its the right thing to do!!! :blink:

Tried this, but some of the links from the "summary" to "detail" comes back empty or with no information. There after the list goes out of sync, i.e. the name you select in the summary and the detail don't match.

A great caching friend then introduced me to the HTML download in GSAK. For those that have an Internet Browser of some sorts on their cellphones/PDAs, this works great! Can even download the pictures attached to the cache information, do decryption, etc.

Edited by warthog

Hi Warthog,

I also had the same problem with GPX output from GSAK, but here's the solution....

When you output your GPX file for the phone, you'll see on the output options page, there's an option whether to output "child" waypoints or not - turn it off - they're the problem. Just remember to turn it back on when you output to your GPS.

Hope this helps :o

The option explained by Warthog works 100% if one has IE running on your phone, so some of the larger Nokia's (Communicators) and any phone running windows mobile.

On my old phone I used to use Opera to browse the internet. I'm curious whether anyone has tried to browse local webpages with Opera (don't know if it is possible)? i.e. Create the HTML's from GSAK and then download to memory card on phone and use Opera to locally browse these HTML pages. Just a thought, if it does work, it's another option.

I’m curious as to what software you use for your navigation. I currently have got a N70 with holux GPS receiver using Nav4all software. Smartcaching software also works great on N70. All I need now is a premium membership for the GPX files

Hi

FYI I am using an N73 with GlobalSat BT-328 receiver. I have got Nav4all but prefer Smart2go for routing and SmartComGPS for offroad navigation. I use the 1:50k and 1:250k maps from Madmappers for the image and use EasyGPS and OziExplorer to convert the .loc file to .wpt for the phone. Bit of a roundabout way but it works well.

I came across this site www.smartcaching.de, which has downloads for various Symbian mobile phones to view pocket queries (GPX files) off line.

I have installed it on my Nokia N73 and it works great! There is no need to print out cache descriptions and hints any more and it is easier to sort and find caches than using mobipocket.

It only seems to handle 150 caches per GPX file, so I had to create a 4 GPX files in GSAK to be able to view all 500 caches from my weekly pocket query.

Now we just need a break in this wet Cape Town weather, so we can check it out in the field.

I downloaded this programme for my n70 it works fine, BUT i saved the gpx file for the whole of SA on my memory card only thing it takes about 3 hours to load on the programme then if you exit the programme you have to do the whole exercise again. So i just load up the caches i want to do for the day and off i go. I use my pda most of the time and will just use my phone as a backup. i find the pda works better for me