Contest results

The contest has drawn to a conclusion and the final tally has been done.

3110 benchmarks were recovered and scored points for the contest.

2923 were for the REG class of benchmarks.

166 were logged for the DNF category.

7 were logged for the DES category.

14 were logged for the ERR category.

It appears as though most GeoCachers are doing a pretty good job when they log benchmarks. From the above figures it appears as though only 6% were not accurately recovered and logged. Only 14 were logged using a picture of the wrong benchmark. That's less than 1/2 % of the total benchmarks recovered!

The above numbers are impressive as are the benchmark hunters who created that list of finds.

We would like to thank all who participated and made this a fun competition.

Thank You and here is your final tally......

be30e5e4-aeb5-40bc-b270-ffa3e9a5a7ed.jpg

AZcachemeister has chosen the binoculars as his choice of the prizes.

We will post who chooses what when they have made their decisions.

Thank you,

John & Shirley 2oldfarts (the rockhounders)

WHEW! :anitongue:

Not as close as I feared, but it looks as if I would have come in second if I hadn't made that 'final desperation run' on Sunday!

I'll be peering through those binoculars regularly over the next two weeks as I attempt to make some recoveries in western PA and the surrounding states.

Although only one participant will receive it, my thanks to all is in the form of the disk of D 265, 1948 DV0549.

Happy Benchmarking! :anitongue:

Oh No - Thank you everyone!

We have the results of who took what in the prizes and the winner of the benchmark drawing.

AZcachemeister -- Winchester 10X25 Binoculars

Doc Geo -- Uniden Cordless Phone 2.4 gigahertz

wvhillbilly59 -- Pin Finder (thank you Scott)

2/3 Marine -- Adobe Photoshop Elements 4.0

GrizzFlyer -- What's left...(35 mm Pentax K1000 Camera W/a few extras and instruction manual)

Benchmark Drawing Winner -- we first drew Holtie22's name but, since he sees benchmarks all the time...he respectfully declined. So, we drew another name and the winner is.....

Piper28

If anyone has any prizes they would like to donate to the next contest or any ideas for prizes....you know how to get in touch with us....

Shirley & John

P.S. The prizes that we have to mail, will be sent off on Monday.

Wow, we managed to make it into the top 10. Not too bad considering we had snow on the ground until May here and we only went out four to five days. Looking forward to the next contest. One this fall would be great so we don't have to wait a year. Thanks again to 2oldfarts for doing this!

Lessee... I climbed a mountain and saw a bear. I got cursed at by a parent of small children. I dug in the lawn of a day care center. We mucked about finding bolts in telephone poles in the Jersey Meadowlands. Wandered about on the tops of cliffs. (Or was that the last contest?)

Yes! We had fun! :ph34r: Only made 7th this time, but we are in the top 10! (Getting harder and harder to find benchmarks. Oh, well.)

Thanks John & Shirley for running the contest. It was fun and I learned some things too. I knew because of snow on the ground, personal circumstances and limited time that I wouldn't have a prayer of winning, but figured I could put something on the board.

Another thing the contest did was give me a good excuse to go after some of the marks in town that had been logged before. When I started benchmarking last year, I focused on marks that had yet to be recovered on geocaching.com, so there were quite a few in my own backyard that I had never logged.

Thanks again...it was fun!

Wow, we managed to make it into the top 10. Not too bad considering we had snow on the ground until May here and we only went out four to five days. Looking forward to the next contest. One this fall would be great so we don't have to wait a year. Thanks again to 2oldfarts for doing this!

OK, Katrina. A fall contest? Autumn starts Sept. 23rd and ends offically on December 22nd, would that be acceptable? :)

Shirley~

OK, Katrina. A fall contest? Autumn starts Sept. 23rd and ends offically on December 22nd, would that be acceptable? B)

Shirley~

Um...we would prefer September 1st to November 1st.

There is lots of hunting that starts in October. I do not want to be mistaken for prey. And well, snowfall can start here anytime starting in november (and its getting too COLD! to be out).

Please feel free to start/end on your schedule though.

Any ideas for this one BTW?

Katrina

OK, Katrina. A fall contest? Autumn starts Sept. 23rd and ends offically on December 22nd, would that be acceptable? B)

Shirley~

Um...we would prefer September 1st to November 1st.

There is lots of hunting that starts in October. I do not want to be mistaken for prey. And well, snowfall can start here anytime starting in november (and its getting too COLD! to be out).

Please feel free to start/end on your schedule though.

Katrina

Yes. smiley-faces-28.gif

Katrina

Yes. smiley-faces-28.gif

Uh oh.

Remember that I'm getting older, and running out of local benchmarks for which to hunt.

We are getting old also, but if the oldfarts mind holds out he might come up with the scoring.

We know what we want to do, just have to figure out how to make it work smoothly. <_<

Now i'm scared to see what hellish contest you have in mind.....

..what I heard was - from your 1st log, you must log outward clockwise in an ever widening continuous spiral ! Or worse - you may have have to spell out "2 Old Farts" by plotting your marks out on a map <_<

Yeah, AZ, are there any in AZ you HAVEN'T found or searched for....? B)

good idea. there are pics showing all the areas and we know they are there? you're bound to win.

I am just going to drive to AZ every weekend and find all the caches that AZcachemeister has already found. :angry:

That's right! B)

I have already weeded out all the bad ones for your hunting pleasure! B)

Actually, Arizona has about 18,000 Benchmarks...so I have barely even scratched the surface! B)

good idea. there are pics showing all the areas and we know they are there? you're bound to win.

I am just going to drive to AZ every weekend and find all the caches that AZcachemeister has already found. :angry:

That's right! B)

So, quit goofing around reading forum comments and get out there.... B)

Read where there are supposed to be over 500 in my county but a great many of them have been destroyed, mostly by farmers and developers.

Actually, Arizona has about 18,000 Benchmarks...so I have barely even scratched the surface! B)

That's right! B)

..what I heard was - from your 1st log, you must log outward clockwise in an ever widening continuous spiral ! Or worse - you may have have to spell out "2 Old Farts" by plotting your marks out on a map :blink:

Oh man..that is hellish and way to complicated for us simple folks. What ever happened to keep it simple stupid?

I believe someone has mentioned previously it would be fun to attempt to get as many in a series as possible. A131..B131..C131 all the way to Z131.....but those usually involve the access covers around here which hubby has declared to be the "micros of benchmarking" and will not willingly go look for them anymore. *shrugs*