Garmin GPSmap60CSx Micro-SD card.

60CSx users.... What is the largest SD card currently useable with the latest firmware update?

If you put one that is too big in, will it still work? What I mean is this - for example - if the 60CSx can only make use of 1GB, but I stuff a 2GB chip in it, will it work as a 1GB chip?

I am wondering if it is worth looking for a deal on the latest 4GB chip, or should I just get a super deal on a 2GB chip, or what ever....... kinda feeling it out.

Thanks.

I have a 60Cx with a 2 GB card. Works fine.

60CSx users.... What is the largest SD card currently useable with the latest firmware update?

If you put one that is too big in, will it still work? What I mean is this - for example - if the 60CSx can only make use of 1GB, but I stuff a 2GB chip in it, will it work as a 1GB chip?

I am wondering if it is worth looking for a deal on the latest 4GB chip, or should I just get a super deal on a 2GB chip, or what ever....... kinda feeling it out.

Thanks.

I'm not exactly sure what the limit is. I am pretty sure that I have seen people using 2GB without any problems. The main problem is the map segment limit. You will probably hit that before you actually get 2GB worth of data on the card.

Didn't know there WAS a MAP SEGMENT limit. Have not gotten that deep into it yet. My son is taking the old 60CS to NTC, then Iraq. So I got a new 60CSx. The learning curve should be small - but there is more to learn I guess.

Thanks.

I have the 76CSX almost same unit just different lay out

2 GIG card All UK metro guide 9 Topo GB Yorkshire and France to Greece Metro Guide 9

about 100 mile strip down ( Aircraft Tracks to Greece)

Still plenty of space for logs and tracks It can cope with the 1760 mile flight and log the whole route

Very little accepts the New 4gig card it seems the equipment has to be purpose built to use it

My Phone Nokia N95 and Camera Pentax can only take the 2gig units

I have my old 1 gig card in the battery comp loaded with different maps

I think if you want topo maps and city maps you are better with the 2 cards one 2 gig of each

My topo of Yorkshire over rights the metroguide for the same region

You cant use both at once Well I cant may be there is a trick to it

Finaly NO it will not read a 4gig card as a 1 or 2 gig If its not compatible it just says the card is not formated or not inserted

A bit like putting a DVD in a Video player it doesnt just play in VHS quality it dont work as they are not the same

Edited by IvorBigun

Didn't know there WAS a MAP SEGMENT limit. Have not gotten that deep into it yet. My son is taking the old 60CS to NTC, then Iraq. So I got a new 60CSx. The learning curve should be small - but there is more to learn I guess.

Thanks.

There is a map segment limit of 2025 segments. The only thing this effects in a big way is using the Topo maps. Usually with the Topo maps the limit will be reached well under the 1GB level, so a 2GB card is kind of a waste. As has been mentioned though if you are using CN the whole US will fit with space left over.

Rick