Carbon offsetting

Team S-J

Having just started a personal TB of the caches I've done, I quickly racked up 14,000km for my first 20 caches, thanks to a trip to the States from the UK. This led me to thinking about the environmental aspect of caching. So would it be appropriate to add a link on the geocaching website to a carbon offset website. That way if you felt like it you could do your bit while caching.

Of course you could walk to every cache :D

Just an idea.

In my job I carbon bank. Whenever I need to make a copy of a document I make a few extra and stick them in the file. :rolleyes:

Lately Hypermilage has gotten my attention. Ways to drive that really make a different. I practied drafting on a recent trip. A 50 mile trip didn't even dent my fuel gage. I'm not talking NASCAR style drafting but hanging back a respectful distance but still close enough to get some beneif from the drafting. For the most part I've always managed to beat the EPA ratings on a car, but never by what some Hypermiler's can do.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hypermiler

Oddly enough I never mentioned my stance on Carbon Offsetting. I am skeptical about the impact humans have on climate change. Climate change is inevitable regardless of our actions. Aren't we 50,000 years late for the next ice age anyway? I could think of a few countries that could benefit from being submerged for a couple of 100,000 years. Present company excepted. It would also make towing my boat to the seaside a shorter journey. It would certainly raise the difficulty rating of many caches.

Sorrrreee I mentioned it now :-(

I'm staying away from the politics and science of it, but if you'd like to offset your carbon and contribute to an organization doing scientific field research on climate change, you can go to Carbon Fund, which will also make a contribution to Earthwatch.org.

fossa

I'm thinking this thread belongs in the Off Topic Forum.

However to add a point that many people may miss

Carbon Dioxide is NOT a Green House Gas like many think.

Evidence shows that increases in CO2 TRAIL increases in temperature, not lead as they would if CO2 was the cause. This shows that CO2 is not the cause but the effect. As temperatures get warmer, the oceans are able to hold less dissolved CO2, just like your Soda holds less dissolved CO2 when it gets warm).

CO2 levels rise because the earth is getting warmer... not the other way around.

Think about it... Mars atmosphere is 98% CO2 versis just a couple percent here at home on earth... Mars is Darn COLD! (However Mars is suffering from Global warming just like the earth... it's Polar Ice Caps of Dry Ice (Frozen CO2) are melting!.

I do not deny there is a small amount of warming happening... but it's just the normal cycles of warming and cooling that has been going on for millenia.

(However Mars is suffering from Global warming just like the earth... it's Polar Ice Caps of Dry Ice (Frozen CO2) are melting!.

Oh, great. The Martians are running around in their big, bad SUVs causing global warming just like here on earth! Gosh, what next? :)

Oh, I know... Maybe man isn't so omnipotent as he'd like to think he is -- claiming that he can warm the earth with his SUV. Hmm. Maybe it IS just a cyclical tendency of weather after all. :)

Evidence shows that increases in CO2 TRAIL increases in temperature, not lead as they would if CO2 was the cause. This shows that CO2 is not the cause but the effect. As temperatures get warmer, the oceans are able to hold less dissolved CO2, just like your Soda holds less dissolved CO2 when it gets warm).

CO2 levels rise because the earth is getting warmer... not the other way around.

Think about it... Mars atmosphere is 98% CO2 versis just a couple percent here at home on earth... Mars is Darn COLD! (However Mars is suffering from Global warming just like the earth... it's Polar Ice Caps of Dry Ice (Frozen CO2) are melting!.

I do not deny there is a small amount of warming happening... but it's just the normal cycles of warming and cooling that has been going on for millenia.

Sorry to add to an Off topic post but I couldn't let this one go.

There is a lie, sprinkled with truths used in misleading context to make a false assumption.

Wake up.

Yup...this happens when the sun gets hotter, which there is much evidence of that, with Mars being a great example.

Yup...this happens when the sun gets hotter, which there is much evidence of that, with Mars being a great example.

Come on you pair.

Mars atmosphere is less than 1% in volume than that of earth. However it warms the planet about 5 degress Celsius. Consisting of 98% CO2 would prove that CO2 is a greenhouse gas.

Why don't you use Venus. Oh thats right. Its atmosphere is 98% CO2 and is about 10% of the volume of Earth and warms the planet to about 487 degrees Celsius.

If you are going to try and debunk the populations effect on Global warming use better arguments and not some kindergarten science facts.

Come on you pair.

Mars atmosphere is less than 1% in volume than that of earth. However it warms the planet about 5 degress Celsius. Consisting of 98% CO2 would prove that CO2 is a greenhouse gas.

Why don't you use Venus. Oh thats right. Its atmosphere is 98% CO2 and is about 10% of the volume of Earth and warms the planet to about 487 degrees Celsius.

If you are going to try and debunk the populations effect on Global warming use better arguments and not some kindergarten science facts.

OK, Venus is getting hotter as well. I guess all the Woman on Venus are driving around in their SUV's causing global warming there too? The Sun is going through a cycle that is making all the planets hotter, just not Earth.

On a side note, almost all of the "greenhouse gases" percentage wise in our atmosphere is H2O. Should we get rid of the water too? That too would cool the planet significantly.

Water vapor ~4%

Carbon Dioxide 0.035%

Methane 0.0002%