Am I being dull?

Hi,

I purchased a 60csx a little while of the intentions of caching (you'll see why I havn't started yet in a bit). I have just recieved "City Navigator 9NT" from an ebay purchase. The usual "un used product, it came with a unit and I didnt need it" sell line.

It came with a un-used 25 digit unlock code. I have successfully loaded the software, unlocked it using the unlock wizard and can see all the info on my laptop.

Here's the problem - when i send maps to my GPSr i get "Can't unlock maps" message.

I cant find a solution anywhere. I understand that the software has to be unlocked for my unit but I cant see anywhere to tell it the information.

I can't connect to the internet to register City Navigator. I am serving onboard HMS EDINBURGH in the Falkland Islands, although I have internet access it is via a work laptop, therefore I cannot connect my personal laptop (in which the software is installed).

Can anyone help? I have done forums / google searches and spent ages reading FAQs but I cant make head nor tail over it.

;)

Cheers

You need to register the Unit with Garmin. Usually done by Internet access, but they may be able to do it over the phone in your case. You need the unit ID (8 or 9 digit number inside the battery case).

You may also be able to do it by e-mail, but they are slower to respond to those.

You need to register the Unit with Garmin. Usually done by Internet access, but they may be able to do it over the phone in your case. You need the unit ID (8 or 9 digit number inside the battery case).

You may also be able to do it by e-mail, but they are slower to respond to those.

Cheers Sputnik,

I have registered the Unit, when I try and register the City Nav NT Europe V9 it doesn't give me the option to select that during the process, only US Topo, City select etc.

I'll give garmin a call tomorrow if I cant get any joy from here, problem is we only get 30mins free each week and I'd rather talk to my wife and Kids ;)

Any further advice anyone?

Am I right in saying that the 25 unlock code is Unit specific and I'll have to invoke the 2nd unlock to be able to use it? Hence the problem from buying from ebay

Edited by Trillan

Cheers Sputnik,

I have registered the Unit, when I try and register the City Nav NT Europe V9 it doesn't give me the option to select that during the process, only US Topo, City select etc.

I'll give garmin a call tomorrow if I cant get any joy from here, problem is we only get 30mins free each week and I'd rather talk to my wife and Kids ;)

Any further advice anyone?

Am I right in saying that the 25 unlock code is Unit specific and I'll have to invoke the 2nd unlock to be able to use it? Hence the problem from buying from ebay

Yes, you are correct the 25 digit unlock code is unique to a GPSr by serial No. There is an option in Mapsource, under tools I think, to see the codes installed, this should tell you which receiver it is unlocked for. You need the voucher code (8 digits) normally that came with the software, this should allow you to invoke the second unlock code, although this may not work, as to qualify for a second code, you should own the receiver for which the first code was issued, which you clearly don't :anibad:

My advice would be ask the vendor for a refund, goods not as described.

Best wishes

Mark

So after some digging around and advice from above do you think the following would work?

I have contact the seller, he didnt register it or unlock anything. The software was supplied when he bought his unit therefore the 25 digit code is specific to that unit ID.

If the software hasnt been registered or unlocked then I wouldn't require a second unlock code. Do you think a phone call to Garmin explaining that I just wish to use the software for a different unit would do?

I dunno? I'm loathed to return it because I should have done some research before buying it but then I don't want to be out of pocket with a glorified version of Microsoft Autoroute?!?

In addition when I try to register online through myGarmin it doesnt even give the option to select City Navigator! Anyone else find that?

Edited by Trillan

So after some digging around and advice from above do you think the following would work?

I have contact the seller, he didnt register it or unlock anything. The software was supplied when he bought his unit therefore the 25 digit code is specific to that unit ID.

If the software hasnt been registered or unlocked then I wouldn't require a second unlock code. Do you think a phone call to Garmin explaining that I just wish to use the software for a different unit would do?

I dunno? I'm loathed to return it because I should have done some research before buying it but then I don't want to be out of pocket with a glorified version of Microsoft Autoroute?!?

In addition when I try to register online through myGarmin it doesnt even give the option to select City Navigator! Anyone else find that?

I don't think Garmin will be too helpful:

MapSource Unlock Policies

Your MapSource coupon or registration code is valid for use with your own Garmin GPS unit. This agreement provides a one-user license, and it is illegal to share this data with others.

This is from the Garmin website.

My City Select manual spells out very clearly that to transfer the software the original owner must cease use of, and erase or destroy all copies of the software in his possession.

Edited by Klatch

I don't think Garmin will be too helpful:

MapSource Unlock Policies

Your MapSource coupon or registration code is valid for use with your own Garmin GPS unit. This agreement provides a one-user license, and it is illegal to share this data with others.

This is from the Garmin website.

My City Select manual spells out very clearly that to transfer the software the original owner must cease use of, and erase or destroy all copies of the software in his possession.

Looks like I may have to bite the bullet and buy another unlock code.. oh well. Can someone please advise how I do that as I can't find it anywhere through there website without having to log on to the net through MapSource (can't do as I'm in Port Stanley on a Warship and the web connection is through a work laptop)?

Looks like I may have to bite the bullet and buy another unlock code.. oh well. Can someone please advise how I do that as I can't find it anywhere through there website without having to log on to the net through MapSource (can't do as I'm in Port Stanley on a Warship and the web connection is through a work laptop)?

It looks like Garmin wants you to go through My Garmin now to unlock maps or buy additional unlock codes.

RESOLVED

First of all thanks to everyone for thier help and advice.

I contacted Garmin this morning, really good service. Basically the product has to be registered with the original unit due to the fact I had the 25 digit code (already unlocked for the original unit before delivery). Then I had to invoke the second unlock on the product...... YES, second unlock (more in a mintue). 5 mins later I was in the reciept of a brand new unlock code.

So if buying from ebay make sure the original unit hasnt been registered and then use the 2nd unlock.

On 2nd unlock codes (from Garmin bloke) - 2nd unlock code was only revoked on City Nav Middle East. However, he was from the UK and maybe other US maps have had thier 2nd unlock code revoked.

This info is correct at the time of posting, I bet Garmin get rid of the others IDC.

Anyway, thanks again.... all I need to do now is get to a country that has caches and I'm off. Rio in a few weeks on the way home!!! :D