Why do you choose the coins you do?

tsunrisebey

Call me crazy but while observing the geocoin trends over the last several months, I always wonder why certain coins sell-out faster than others, why one metal is more popular than another, etc.

So call this an unofficial poll.

So when a new coin comes out, why do you choose to buy it? I realize design is probably the biggest factor but I'm really curious about the metals? Some people really love copper, while others want gold. Do you base your metal decision on how it looks on the design or do you choose it just because you love a certain metal?

Do you find yourself buying coins from a certain person/company/designer even if you aren't in love with it because you feel some loyalty to them or does the producer/designer not have any influence on your decision at all?

Some people prefer a very simple design versus a more intricate or ornate one and vice versa, why?

Obviously you don't have to answer every question I posed but I would just like some insight into the geocoin mind :anibad: At the very least, just type your favorite metal (I would like to see which one holds the overall popularity).

One important note here: I'm looking for your individual answer, how you as a person chooses, not why you think everyone else chooses they way they do.

Thanks........tsun ;)

My personal guidelines are far simpler than most, I wager.

First look, price. If I feel the all the coiny aspects do not equal the selling price, I will not purchase it, no matter what. If I can't live without the design/theme, I will try and trade for one.

Second look, LEs. If the seller/designer is selling LEs or XLEs for a greater price than the regular metal, I will never buy OR trade for that coin, unless I plan to sell it on Ebay (that includes the regular metal).

Third look, design/theme/metals/etc. (all the coiny type things). Some designs are just near and dear to me, and I think look fantastic. If that's the case, and the first two criteria are met, I'm in, for as many as I can afford.

I personally choose antique over shiny or misty, and misty over shiny (antique silver is #1). I choose less than 2" if possible, and unless the design is outstanding, more metal than ink. I like soft enamel, over imitation hard, it feels like an actual coin. I choose non-trackable if at all possible, since they are mostly collection pieces.

Remember, tsun asked for personal reasons, and for me, that's how I roll ;) I personally prefer non-sold, non-trackable personal coins over any others. So, if you're trying to swing me, they hold a special place in my heart :anibad:

**edioteddd for spelling

Edited by The Moop Along

I pretty much buy what I like. And the metals that look the best to me.

Some makers just make alot of awesome coins is all, and sometimes I happen to like all their coins.

Although the coins that I really like the design of, I would likely want every metal, or color(Like the 911Turbos, cachoids & Credit cards) While some others, I like enough to buy one LE and maybe an SE (mostly for front and back display).

I will also usually get an extra or 2 for trade if I really like it.(Which is just about every coin I buy)

There are alot of coins I dont buy at all, just dont like em, why would I get a coin I dont like...I dont have to have em all! There are also some I dont want just by principle, whether its from personal opinion of mine (that coffee cup), their attitude (a few personals out there), the over-rated...and over priced(Compass Rose...Yep didnt get one till recently and wasnt worried at all) and sometimes the shipping and coin cost (mostly overseas)

I think the ones that sell out are just plain Darn good designs is all, Whether its in the actual design, meaning, beauty, or even availability.

I see alot of coins that dont have the production of others, so that plays a major role too.

When making my coin, I chose metals that I liked, and there didn't seem to be too many of them at that time, that I knew of. I prefer no enamel, but added it to the black nickel to make it more readable.

When trading, I go for looks. The metal really doesn't enter into it. I definately prefer little or no color.

I've only purchased one coin, and that was because of the design.

I buy coins that I love the design on, and I treasure the personal coins I trade for!

I dont care really if a coin is trackable or not if its a personal, and I love 'in person' trades.

Generally, I trade more than I buy, but I WILL buy a coin I think has a clever theme, or just good design qualities.

As far as LE's go, I dont let price bother me, and I only sometimes like LE's - most often, one of the regulars is my favorite.

I prefer antique copper, but the metal TOTALLY depends on the coin! I dislike the satin finishes overall, but like sandblasted. I prefer antiques on coins with tons of recessed detail and 3D work, polished on enamel designs, and satin as a last resort. LOL

I LOVE coins with tons of detail, that make the best use of all the available area. A pet peeve is empty spaces... I always think of how to fill them.

Good topic!

Design first, price second and that's about it. Depending on design a coin could look best in any number of metals so metal matters less to me. I always laugh when an LE in an odd metal sells/trades out quickly because "LE" was tacked on to it. A good design, interesting execution or groundbreaking technique always captures my eye. Price is the deal-breaker though. I will rarely pay over $10 for a coin (including shipping). We're all reasonably well aware of what they cost to make and unless a large part of the proceeds are going to a good cause, there's just no excusing it for me. ;)

The design is top priority. It needs to catch my eye and grab me somehow. As for metals ... doesn't mean a thing to me. Sometimes I feel like making the same coin in different metals is just a way to make more money. I'll look at the pictures and ususally try to decide which metal looks best with that design. Sometimes I'll buy all with the intent to trade later down the line.

Since I like to activate and release, I really won't look at the non-trackable.

I prefer coins that aren't really specific to a particular person -- but if the look is good, that doesn't matter too much.

And I'm not realy big on the cartoon-y looking coins. Just a preference.

Pretty much ditto what everyone else has said! ;)

I buy the coins because I like them...no other reason. Don't care about the icon, trackability, LE, metal, etc.

I will buy a LE if I like the design better than the regular one (glitter, etc), but otherwise I only need ONE of a coin (don't need all the metals, etc).

I tend to like the "interesting" shaped coins....

Design - coins with a well done design and concept tend to be my coins of choice.

Metal - I choose the metal that best brings out the dimensional shapes of a 3D coin. If the coin has enamels, I choose the metal that best brings out the chosen colors. Sometimes the theme of a coin dictates a particular metal. I do tend to lean toward copper, but if the design and color dictate something else, that's what I choose.

Enamel - I tend to prefer coins with immitation hard enamel, but it all depends on the design. A soft enamel can really work well with some 3D designs.

RE, LE, XLE, SE, AE, etc. - I will choose the metal, color, and enamel I like. Sometimes the edition I prefer the most is actually the RE edition.

Tracking & Icon - I've tended to lean toward trackable coins with individual icons, for the coins I send out to travel, but a well done coin is a well done coin and a great design is a great design. As far as my collection goes, it really doesn't matter (many of them aren't even activated).

If I look at the coin and it makes me quiver, then I check out the price and see if I want to pay the amount.

Different shaped coins are cool and more appealing to me but I go for round coins as well when the design is cool ( cool for me ).

I like metal coins : BN first, then antique metals next. I like color as well as long as the whole coin isn't one mass of color, it looks a bit cheap to me.

LE's don't appeal to me very much except when glittery stuff is used like in the Mojave Desert coin ( I think that was the name ). For me, it really makes a LE different and desirable.

I hate coins whose back side is a big GC.COM logo. As I mentioned in another thread, it smacks of laziness on the part of the coin designer.

I LOVE Jeep coins ( I gots me a Rubicon )! The Rubicon Brothers is one of my favorite coins. 3-D Jeep coins are cool.

I almost always won't pay over $10 for a coin and think that they should cost around $8 - at $8 I'll buy a coin that I like without hesitation. $10 and above, I REALLY have to love the coin.

... oh yeah, trackable coins aren't any more appealing to me than non-trackable coins

Edited by nicolo

Interesting thread.

When I started I bought Black Nickel liked the shiny metals and avoided the Antiques. when I had my coins minted I didn't even ask for any Antique Samples until a couple weeks into the process. when my samples came in I ordered Black Nickel and Antiques because they looked best with the design of the coin. My recent purchases/Trades all focus on the design first and the metal last.

I like trading for personal coins no matter what the design or finish. If I'm making a purchase, design is important, obviously price is a factor, prefer coins between 1.5" and 2" in size, antique anything always looks nice (silver, bronze, gold or copper in that order). I do have some preference on who produces the coins but if I really like the design and the price I'll buy from anyone. Trackability is not even a consideration when trading or buying.

I'll see if I can arrange my thoughts in some readable fashion....

So when a new coin comes out, why do you choose to buy it?

Design and relation to geocaching. I don't have any interest in coins that have nothing to do with caching IMO other than a tracking number (is this news to anyone?). I have bought a few strictly for the cause they were supporting, but it's rare.

Do you base your metal decision on how it looks on the design or do you choose it just because you love a certain metal?

Strictly how it looks on the coin/design. If it looks best in copper, gold, silver, etc. - that's what I buy. Some designs lend themselves better to antique finishes than to polished finishes so the same logic applies.

Do you find yourself buying coins from a certain person/company/designer even if you aren't in love with it because you feel some loyalty to them or does the producer/designer not have any influence on your decision at all?

Nope. You're only as good as you last design/coin! ;)

Some people prefer a very simple design versus a more intricate or ornate one and vice versa, why?

I LOVE coins with tons of detail, that make the best use of all the available area. A pet peeve is empty spaces... I always think of how to fill them.

I'm exactly the opposite. I like clean, simple designs. Space is your friend. Most of the time the empty space gets filled in with stuff just to fill the space, and it looks like it.

And I'm not realy big on the cartoon-y looking coins. Just a preference.

I don't care for these either. I'm not a fan of al lthe clip-art on coins...

Different shaped coins are cool and more appealing to me but I go for round coins as well when the design is cool ( cool for me ).

... oh yeah, trackable coins aren't any more appealing to me than non-trackable coins

I prefer round coins. For non-round coins I need to really love it/want it (like the Project APE coins).

Tracking doesn't matter to me for collecting - only for travelers.

edit: quote tags

Edited by kealia

How do you account for taste?

I like a well conceived and creative design first. Intricate or simple it has to be creative and innovative. The finish has to compliment the design. I don't care for LEs though they trade well. And after spending a fortune lining the pockets of re-sellers on Ebay I now really care about an honest price for a simple piece of coloured metal.

So when a new coin comes out, why do you choose to buy it? I realize design is probably the biggest factor but I'm really curious about the metals? Some people really love copper, while others want gold. Do you base your metal decision on how it looks on the design or do you choose it just because you love a certain metal?

I go by designs that I like and cost is always a factor since we are on a tight budget usualy. I will always try to get silver. I just love the way silver looks.

Hmmm...interesting questions.

The first thing that I look at is the design...if I don't like it, I don't even look at the price. If I like it, then how much I like the design will impact how much $$ I will be willing to part with. Occassionally, I'll skip a coin that I like because I cannot justify spending the $$ at tha time (those are usually the ones that I kick myself about later, because I wish that I had bought it).

I don't really care about which metals are LE, regular, etc. I look at the design and how it looks in the various metals. Some deigns look great in antique gold, but not shiny gold. The metal that I chose is the one that "looks" the best to me, no matter which version it is.

I do not buy anything just because so-and-so made it.

As far as simple vs. intricate designs...I don't have a preference. I have a bit of both in my collection. It all depends on the design. I don't really care about trackable vs. non-trackable either.

Bottom line for me is design and cost...but if it is a dragon coin, then...well...I just gotta have it (darn dragons coins are what got me started in this addiction).

Forgot to add that if I had to choose 1 metal, it would be copper.

Edited by DresselDragons

Now see, shiny is often a turn-off for me. I prefer copper because it is a warm earth-tone, and most designs look very nice in copper. As an example, we just got two of the Fox and Geese, one in copper and one in silver. The silver is excellent, no argument, but the copper glows in a subdued way; glow is good, but sparkle isn't always. Too much sparkle can detract from a design. The glitter blue on the Geopelli coin was perfect, as it was just a small area on one side, showing water. And this was a design that came off very well in silver; it probably wouldn't have worked in copper. But having too much glitter just detracts, and the same often goes for shiny metals. Some designs work very well in shiny, though. And so the design will often determine which metal we'll get. If more than one metal is offered, I'll try to buy at least two of the metals, knowing that we'll probably be keeping one coin and sending the other(s) into the world. BTW: an antique finish is almost always preferable to a shiny one.

Oh, and my least-favorite finish, over-all? Black nickel, which will cause a number of raised eyebrows, as I think that that is likely to be the most-popular finish, based on comments I've read over the past year-and-a-half here. Only rarely will I opt to keep a BN coin over another finish. The design has to really contrast well with the black for us to keep a BN coin in our collection.

Design is the biggest factor. Don't really care for coins that look like there wasn't much thought put into the design. I also like coins that have some meaning to me. Metal occassionally plays a factor....some designs just look better on certain metals.

Not at all. If I like the design (and have the money too), I'll buy the coin (or at least try and trade for it), regardless of who designed or minted the coin.

Interesting thread!

The metal doesn't matter to me. I choose the one that looks the best with the design. I like cute & I like shapes. If it makes me laugh, I buy it. ;) I'm collecting more non-trackables now. As I have gotten to meet people, I love to have something of theirs, trackable or non-trackable. I was heavy into releasing coins so I would only buy coins with icons. I am now focusing more on trading & I don't know yet what others look for.

If I like the design, its pretty, or cute, or clever, or has meaning I buy it. Unless its way expensive. I bought a coin once with $4 shipping, but only b/c I knew it would have a special meaning to the person I was giving it to; $10 is a good cutoff, but for something really special, I'll spend a couple extra dollars.

I also don't like the standard backs. Glitter is growing on me b/c people around here seem to use it really well. I'm not a glitter person, but i LOVE my dorkfish Karma coin, it was done really well. Glow in the dark is neat too, and I'm super excited about the hinge projects going on right now. Uniqueness is good.

In general, I prefer silver as a metal but it really depends on the individual coin. I'll look at all the pictures and pick what I like best. I don't generally buy more than one metal. Unless of course its a 3 pack for $10, then I can't pass it up, but 2 of those wil be ending up in caches soon; which I would guess was the intent. The one I decided to hold on to wasn't silver; b/c I thought a different metal looked better with that particular design.

I don't buy specifically from certain vendors because of loyalty to them as vendors, but I'd be lying if I said vendor had no impact on my decision. Due to past purchases, I do have opinions on different vendors quality of work; so I would be more inclined to buy a sort of nice looking design from vendor A because the last time I did, sight of the actual coin blew me away; than I would be to buy a sort of nice looking coin from vendor B when last time I ordered one I was really excited about I was let down by the quality. Not that any one is particularly bad, just some minor disappointments and some that really stand out as always delivering with outstanding quality. I have bought from vendor B since disappointments, I'm just more likely to think about it first... and I know with some vendors that the pictures REALLY do not do them justice.

I hate coins whose back side is a big GC.COM logo. As I mentioned in another thread, it smacks of laziness on the part of the coin designer.

I almost always won't pay over $10 for a coin and think that they should cost around $8 - at $8 I'll buy a coin that I like without hesitation. $10 and above, I REALLY have to love the coin.

I couldn't agree more with those points!

Metals and LE's don't matter much to me, although you have to admit the LE coin is generally worth more on ebay. When I was buying a lot of coins resale potential was a factor in my purchases and I'm sure it is with many of you whether or not you'd admit it here publicly.

Price

Original or personalised concept

Design

Ease of purchase for international customer - no freight rip offs.

After price, my main determinant is the originality of the concept - there are a few concepts that have been flogged to death IMO and I am unlikely to buy any of those.

I really like a personalised coin where the design contains elements of the design that says something about the coin originator. A personal logo, something about where you are from, your home state etc.

There are a lot of coins that are produced that do not appeal to me as an international customer - now of course I do realise that the bulk of coins that are sold are sold to collectors/consumers that are in Nth America so it makes sense to cater for that market. However there are a lot of coins on my "meh" list because they are too "US/Canada centric".

Finally - I will not buy any coins out of Europe - sorry people if you live there - the exchange rate just kills me.

First we look at the design of the coin...then the price. If we really like a coin but it's not a reasonable price or if the shipping costs are inflated then we don't buy it. We hope that later we'll be able to get it in a trade. If not then it wasn't meant to be. We have only bought on ebay if it was supporting a worthy cause. Otherwise will do not look there to purchase our coins.

We do have some preferences for designers / store fronts but don't just stick to them exclusively. We tend not to buy from European stores because of shipping costs. We generally don't buy every metal so it's just not worth it. But they often have designs that we like.

We used to prefer just trackable coins but now non-trackables are just as nice.

For metals we do seem to prefer copper. We buy different finishes. But we prefer copper. It's purdy.

Metals and LE's don't matter much to me, although you have to admit the LE coin is generally worth more on ebay. When I was buying a lot of coins resale potential was a factor in my purchases and I'm sure it is with many of you whether or not you'd admit it here publicly.

I agree with these comments.

I got turned off by LE's when people starting marking them up for no reason other than the simple economics. It was fun to try and colelcts LEs in the beginning to have a rare version, but unless they are special (i.e. volunteer versions, give-away only versions, etc.) they jsut don't do it for me anymore.

Design, Design, Design, then color, I like well balanced design with or without alot of color/glitter/shine.

If I really really like the design I will get one of each metal if possible.

Have been surprised at how all of us have such different tastes. I have passed over coins that sold out in hours and then sold for mega $$$ on the eplace. Also, I really like the unusual shapes :D

Price is a factor as when I got started I wanted one of everything.:D

Metal - what looks best with the design. Have been surprised at how some designer choose the best for the very limited XLE they keep for themselves. And the main coins languish.

Oh but the joy when you open the package and the coin is just take your breath away beautiful, feel like Christmas. Buying coins is a great way to be a little kid getting a present, open, show it off:)

My usual color for my AE's is copper - however, with the letterboxing coin, I loved the idea of the Antique Copper being available for everyone, so, I took an 'ordinary' AE (Which turned out to be anything but ordinary Ive been told!)

I notice that most of my favorite coins/artists seem to almost DESIGN for a particular metal, or color when planning the coin - which makes them even better when they are complete.

But I definitely agree - its all about the design!

I think the biggest thing in a coin is if I like the design. It has to strike me in some way-on some coins I like the colors, some have cool features like a shape or a glitter or translucent enamel, some I collect because they represent a place I have been to or an interest that I have.

As far as metals or finishes, I think it depends on the design what will look good. Some coins look equally good in different metals, other coins I would only buy or trade for it in a particular metal.

Lately I have been buying way too many coins, but I keep seeing more that I like, so a good price is definitely a plus. Hopefully my own personal coin will be in production soon so I will have something to trade. :D

Since we don't sell any coins we buy on ebay, resale was never an issue with us. In the past, when we could afford to buy multiple coins per design, their trade value was considered. We also used to buy every metal. With so many coins coming out in so many metals, we will generally only buy 1 metal of each edition unless we really like the design. The choice of metal depends on the design although we do tend to like black nickel and antique gold more than others. We also no longer buy extras for trade.

--Marky

I Like Most Personal Coins. Because someone created it to represent them, whether its an avatar or something they like.

Metal depends on coin, I usually don't care, LE or XLE, or XXXXXXLE, AE means nothing to me. some coins just look best in a certain metal.

I have been trying lately to stick with antique metals or misty because i hate feeling like i have to keep wiping the finger prints and smudges off a coin.

Non personals have to really appeal to me in some way, Personal interest, whatever.

I was born and lived most if my life in California, so I buy those coins, I am a pisces, so I bought that coin, the forum/mailbox coin, my name is on the v1 and i've spent a lot of time in that thread, the original stash has gocaching historical significance.

Other coins I just like the design or something about it appeals to me for unknown reasons. Alaska coins, have all been beautiful coins, and the .999 silver ones also appeal to my sense of having something of value. the geoswag 9/11 never forget coin, the sock puppet, and ghost coins, they just appeal to me,

others have a rarity appeal, Easter Bunny coin, Geocoin Fairy, Geocoin Secet Agent, etc..

Regardless of how much I like a coin or it appeals to be in whatever way, if I am buying and not trading for it, It HAS to feel worth it to me, and with most coins being around $10 plus shipping, I can say I have not bought very many. But the Alaska coins The designs look awesome, even the silver ones being $30 last year and the silver with gold relief being $50, that felt worth it to me so I bought them.

What types of designs do you all look for? I have heard jeeps, but there are many others I am sure.

Dragons, Vehicles, States, Symbols, Custom logos, Military?

What about Colored verses Metalic?

I too am thinking of making some coins. I would like to find out some more about what actually makes something successfull to help and recoop some of the cost of making them.

:rolleyes: Cough! Cough! <_< About choked on my Diet Coke when I read that! :anitongue:

In defense of all of us "coin designers"... (The ones that design for other people)

This is totally out of our hands. The customer gets what the customer wants. ;)

Ask any of us and we'll tell you we'd much rather design a complimenting back side to complete the theme of the coin than smack a generic design on there.

The generic designs do limit the "appealingness" (Is that a word?) of a coin, but they do serve their purpose to allow someone a less expensive way to have their own coin. :)

I notice that most of my favorite coins/artists seem to almost DESIGN for a particular metal

Funny that you say that! :rolleyes:

I just realized lately that I tend to design for gold coins. :huh:

I've been trying to make a point to try and look at the design in silver tones as well before sending a proof back to the customer. Then which ever I think looks the best is what I send for the proof. ;)

To answer the thread topic...

1.) Quality, well thought out, & balanced D-E-S-I-G-N !!! First and foremost!

2.) Price.

Is the coin worth the asking price "to me"?

I buy purely for the enjoyment I get from owning a piece of "artwork".

3.) Metals?

For 3-D designs I definately prefer antiqued reguardless of the metal!

I tend to be drawn to gold coins more than other metals. But have been finding some of the recent designs done in copper look really nice, also!

But for cartoon character type designs, I like black nickel. :anitongue:

Guess it just reminds me of my good ol' Crayola crayons and coloring book days of my youth! :P

4.) Shaped vs Round?

No preference. This falls under the "Design" category. I've seen plenty of good and bad of both. :huh:

5.) Hard Enamel vs Soft Enamel/No Color

I tend to lean toward the later, just because I am a "touch" person. I like to feel the texture and design of a coin. But there are few that just wouldn't work unless done in hard enamel.

6.) LE, XLE, AE...

I hardly ever buy a coin that falls in this category just because they are such. If I like the design on that particular metal or the different color scheme then I buy it. The LE, XLE, AE designation means nothing to me if I like the coin.

Like I stated above, I buy coins purely for the enjoyment I get from them, not their possible future values. ;)

D-man B)

Edited by gridlox

:rolleyes: Cough! Cough! :rolleyes: About choked on my Diet Coke when I read that! :anitongue:

In defense of all of us "coin designers"... (The ones that design for other people)

This is totally out of our hands. The customer gets what the customer wants. :anitongue:

Im SO glad you posted this - sometimes entire designs are out of our hands. You get some customers who let you run free with the entire design , and others for whom you are basically illustrating a very specific set idea.

So...keep that in mind when viewing designs! (Although Ill take full 'blame' for my own ideas!)

:rolleyes: Cough! Cough! :anitongue: About choked on my Diet Coke when I read that! :anitongue:

This is totally out of our hands. The customer gets what the customer wants. <_<

Im SO glad you posted this - sometimes entire designs are out of our hands. You get some customers who let you run free with the entire design , and others for whom you are basically illustrating a very specific set idea.

So...keep that in mind when viewing designs! (Although Ill take full 'blame' for my own ideas!)

WRT to the Groundspeak logo being used on a coin... we've found that quite a few customers coming to us for designwork think it is a Groundspeak requirement to put the logo on the coin in addition to the trackable wording. We always manage to convince our customers that it would be so much more appealing if they would allow us to create custom art for both sides rather than filling one side of their coin with an advertising logo. Why should our customer pay to make a coin to advertise for Groundspeak? If they want a Landsharkz design they're gonna get it on both sides :huh: :huh: !!!

To reply to the original post... for us to buy coins they have to be beautiful art on a personal coin, an organizational/regional coin and/or be caching related.

We like personal coins to have a persons caching name on them.

The metal has to suit the art.

The price has to be reasonable.

Shaped or round doesn't matter but we won't buy huge coins.

Soft enamel and imitation hard enamel have their applications... some designs really need imitation hard enamel and some need soft. It all depends on the art - this is where the designer should advise.

Personally there are very few times we like glitter, but if it's used for the right application it can be lovely. I have a Laval K-9 with a glitter dog house sitting on a coin stand on my window ledge right now that is absolutely gorgeous!

Epoxy over the whole coin sucks - we like to 'feel' the art. It's only really required to protect glitter, otherwise it's just a shiny dome that seems to put the coin in a cage so it can't be touched :rolleyes: .

Epoxy over the whole coin sucks - we like to 'feel' the art. It's only really required to protect glitter, otherwise it's just a shiny dome that seems to put the coin in a cage so it can't be touched :anitongue: .

soft enamel on a shiny gold or silver coin, I like epoxy because I hate getting finger prints on a coin when i hold it.

Of course it depends on design. But I almost always prefer synthetic hard enamel.