Human Behavior 101

Just a personal thought to all geocachers.

If we drop a blade of grass in a parking lot. No one will care. If someone sees you do it. There is a chance they will impose their will to stop you, for whatever reason and using any method. Any law can be twisted. Ignorance is bliss!

So when finding, leave no trace. Make sure the cache can't be see, and mind where your walking. Don't leave a trail.

If we drop a blade of grass in a parking lot. No one will care. If someone sees you do it. There is a chance they will impose their will to stop you, for whatever reason and using any method. Any law can be twisted. Ignorance is bliss!

So when finding, leave no trace. Make sure the cache can't be see, and mind where your walking. Don't leave a trail.

I understand the "leave no trace" part and agree with it to a great extent, though in practicality "leave no trace" is not really possible.

But i have read the first paragraph over and over and I just don't get it. :D

I understand the "leave no trace" part and agree with it to a great extent, though in practicality "leave no trace" is not really possible.

Me too. After the 7th read some blood trickled out of my left ear.

Me too. After the 7th read some blood trickled out of my left ear.

It only took me 3 reads. :D:D:D

"So when finding, leave no trace. Make sure the cache can't be see, and mind where your walking. Don't leave a trail."

Our tracks are no different than any other animal, or flooding or fire or any other trace that something happened there. It's part of nature, so to say leave no trace or tracks is just foolish. On our skidoo trails here, there's a sign, "leave tracks, not trash". I think that makes more sense.

The dropping of a blade of grass is just an image I wanted to create to show how far human stupidity could go. (ie I've seen a muggle try to stop Geocaching in a park because people could think it's a bomb.... let's face it... what terrorist is going to place a bomb in the middle of a forces 20 km away from any civilizations?)

The bottom line is if we place a cache in a park, and no muggle ever know's it's there. The cache could exist indefinitely. As soon as someone knows it's there people could try to stop it for all sorts of nonsensical reasons.

Most Parks, and conservation areas don't want geocachers in their park because we blaze new trails. We may be part of nature but park authorities don't consider us it be.

So leave no trail/trace and no one knows the cache is there.

One stupid muggle and we could have our approvals revoked in any location. I've seen caches left out in the open, because of muggles or geotrails form in sensitive locations this can create problems.

And again... this is just my personal opinion so if you disagree... that's your prerogative.

Edited by TheCarterFamily

The dropping of a blade of grass is must an image I wanted to create to show how far human stupidity could go.

The bottom line is if we place a cache in a park, and no muggle ever know's it's there. The cache could exist indefinitly. As soon as someone knows it's there people could try to stop it for all sorts of non-sensical reasons.

Most Parks, and conservation areas don't want geocachers in their park because we blaze new trails. We may be part of nature but park authorities don't consider us it be.

One stupid muggle and we could have our approvals revoked in any location. I've seen caches left out in the open because of muggles or geotrails form in sensitive locations.

And again... this is just my personal opinion so if you disagree... that's your prerogative.

Ahh ok I get you.Basically don't let the muggles see you get the cache,otherwise they will have geocaching shut down.

The bottom line is if we place a cache in a park, and no muggle ever know's it's there. The cache could exist indefinitely. As soon as someone knows it's there people could try to stop it for all sorts of nonsensical reasons.

Your always gonna leave a trace...unless it's a parking lot

Wow, that's really deep :rolleyes: .

Here in the SF Bay Area, our local caching organisation (Geocachers Of The Bay Area) puts in the effort to meet with the varying parks departments, to forge relationships and help folks who don't get it understand that caching is not a threat.

That being said, varying parks have varying rules. There's one I can think of that will take draconian measures against those wandering off the paths (they are very clear on this when you enter the park) so caches must be placed with that in mind.

Some other parks don't care where you "blaze your trails" and encourage you to explore to your heart's content.

Anything you can do to keep a negative perception from forming about Geocaching is a good thing.

DCC

Wow, that's really deep B) .

:D:D:rolleyes::blink::D

That redefines "deep"!

I understand what your trying to say, but I think your being too extreme. Your remarks would mean no winter caching, as tracks will always be left in the snow.

Besides it says right in the Listing requirements

Off-limit (Physical) Caches

Caches placed in areas which are highly sensitive to the extra traffic that would be caused by vehicles and humans (examples may include archaeological or historic sites).

I understand what your trying to say, but I think your being too extreme. Your remarks would mean no winter caching, as tracks will always be left in the snow.

Besides it says right in the Listing requirements

Off-limit (Physical) Caches

Caches placed in areas which are highly sensitive to the extra traffic that would be caused by vehicles and humans (examples may include archaeological or historic sites).

What can I say... human behavior 101.

...I've seen a muggle try to stop Geocaching in a park because people could think it's a bomb....

The laptop in the guys car can be mistaken as a bomb.

The guy himself can cause a panic by mentioning the word bomb at the wrong time.

The guy's behavior can be reported as suspicous if he's running around the park looking for a cache.

There is no limit to human stupidity, or the self rightouse who would walk on others rights to save us from our selves.

Your point is valid. Your presentation of it didn't work so well.