Ignoring the mission of a TB?

Isebar

A few weeks ago I found a TB in a TB hotel here in Germany, which had the mission to see as much as possible of Greece. This was written on a little sticker (tiny but still legible) on the plastic bag.

Since I planned to spend my vacation in Crete, the largest Greek island, I took it on the journey and dropped it in a cache in Crete. ;)

When I returned to Germany to log my drop, I found out that someone from the Netherlands had taken it the very next day and moved it back to the Netherlands. He dropped it there in a cache with one sentence of apology claiming he had just found out the mission of the TB.

I'm pretty frustrated that my efforts were annihilated. :anibad:

(Moderators feel free to move to the appropriate topic - I couldn't find one)

We don't take a travel bug unless we know in advance what its mission is. And then we won't take it if we can't advance it on the mission.

When we first started caching (gee, it must be almost a month ago ;) ) my wife and I grabbed a "Unite for Diabetes" travel bug. Its mission was to go to North Carolina. We grabbed it because my wife is diabetic and thought the "Unite for Diabetes" promotion was very cool. We dropped it in a cache a few miles closer to its goal, but then someone grabbed it from there and took it up to Wisconsin! They hadn't bothered to read its mission before grabbing it.

We ask permission before doing anything dramatic to a bug. We picked one up here in Chicago this week that we plan to drop in California next week. Before grabbing the bug, we emailed the owner to make sure they had no objection to us holding the coin for a week, then moving it to California. They were very gracious and encouraged us to go for it!

At some point, when we're a bit less new at the game, we plan to plant a few bugs ourselves. When we do, we plan to attach a small tag with the bug's goal to the bug itself.

Can you move a TB the wrong way? Yes.

Should you? Well probably not. Would you want your TB moved the wrong way? Different people will have different answers.

Lots of people don't check. Although lots of TB that we have picked up do not tell where they are going. We have to take them home to find out. I assume that TBs with no info on them have no goal.

If you have a TB that has a goal, attach something to the TB to let people know where its going, pease.

It is too bad that it got to its goal for only a short time. That's the thing about TB's ya gotta be prepared for things not going exactly the way you planned.

As for deciding not to move a bug just because you can't move it exactly in the right direction, it doesn't mean that it couldn't be helped by some movement. Getting it into a more heavily traveled area 25 miles in the other direction might actually serve the bug better. And there certainly isn't any harm in moving it to the next cache 1 mile in the wrong way.

Like K2 said, to improve your changes of not having a major setback add a strong and clearly written goal tag.

Otherwise just don't release directional goal-oriented bugs.

Happy caching.

Edited by BlueDeuce

As for deciding not to move a bug just because you can't move it exactly in the right direction, it doesn't mean that it couldn't be helped by some movement. Getting it into a more heavily traveled area 25 miles in the other direction might actually serve the bug better. And there certainly isn't any harm in moving it to the next cache 1 mile in the wrong way.

Great point. I hadnt thought of it like that. Especially if you find a bug in a cache that is not visited much.

Do you like this blue deuce?

3190pa0.jpg

On the bright side, it made it to it's goal even if only for a moment.

Travel bugs are very random. You take your chances when you place them. I've gone one that is no closer now than when it started.

It would be fustrating to see it reach it's goal only to be whisked back far away. As an owner though I'd thank you for getting there and be a bit annoyed by the next person. Especially if they didn't read the tag on the bug that said it's goal.

So you helped the cache reach its goal and then when you got home to log it you couldn't log it properly?

Did the person that found it after you fix the logs to make them correct?

The first time this happened to me, i wasn't sure what to do. I came here and someone helped me figure out what the different types of logs are for.

When you move a tb you get to move it where you want I suppose...the owner isn't in control anymore.

It does irk me when a person moving the tb knew the mission, but adds a note of "going to take him on a little detour back to CA, I would like him to see the world on his journey". The 5 year old that the tb belongs to was very sad to see it got near the destination and then turned around.

G'day

I attached laminated cards to my coins and bugs with the objectives. In the main I have "the objective" plus "a just move on to a new cache ASAP if you can't meet the main objective" but some have some more specific objectives, e.g., my coin in Singapore was to come home to Australia, so a cacher took it to Germany. It was clearly stated on the tag and the cacher logs in English.

It is travelling okay, but it ain't hard to read the objectives attached to the trackable and be considerate. That is the part that gets me ... the lack of consideration of others. It ain't hard, it ain't rocket science. On a positive note, the cachers who have retrieved the coin since have been moving it to caches which may help it get back to Australia which is really nice of them.

Regards

Andrew

Edited by Aushiker

I guess I don't take TBs as seriously as other people. Shame on me. We grab them when we find them and move them on when we can. Sometimes along their goal path, sometimes not. Once we deliberately took a travel bug back to a state he didn't want to visit. He had many exciting adventures along the way and the owners thanked us for hosting him on his travels. We have a travel bug who wants to go to SD -- hasn't made it yet, but we sure enjoy reading about where it is and where it is going next.

On a related note, is it considered bad form to move a bug a short distance? ie. from one cache to another one only a few miles away?

This was the last posting on one of my bugs:

(Discovered) Found today, but left in place because I'm not sure when I'll be visiting its next desired stop.

The one before that:

(Discovered) Saw this one sitting in (cache name) but if we would have taken it, there would be a lot of areas skipped so left it tucked back right were we found it

And the one before that:

(Discovered) Saw this guy today in the (cache name). As I wasn't heading to another (cache name) anytime soon I decided to just discover it. Thanks and good luck.

If each person had simply picked it up and moved it, they would have helped my bug that much more. These people thought they were helping my bug by leaving it where it's at.

Move the bug. If you can't finish the goal then help a little bit.

If you can move the bug a really long way but against its goal then it's time to stop and think if you are doing the best thing for it.

Sometimes against the goal can actually be closer to the goal.

I just picked up a bug in New York that wants to head to Connecticut. It also wants to have it's picture taken near airplanes. I plan on taking it back to Kansas City with me.

Here is my reason.

1. It had sat in the cache I found it for over two months.

2. Kansas City is the home to the only flying Constellation. This was the mainstay of TWA for many years and a hugely important aircraft in aviation.

3. I travel extensively as do several of my friends and the odds of a bug being picked up in KC and moving to Connecticut is actually pretty high.

So at first glance I am being inconsiderate. But in reality I'm being a good host.

Personally, I think that it's a common-sense thing.

If moving a Tb to a cache further from it's destination puts it into a cache that's more likely to be visited by someone whom can get it to it's end goal faster then it makes sense to me - a one step back and two steps forward sort of thing. I'd rather my Tb makes 10 moves and only be 1 mile closer to it's goal then to have it burried in a cache for months on end with no activity.

That being said, any responsible 'cacher shouldn't be taking a Tb unless they know it's mission. Likewise, they shouldn't be taken if they cannot be re-placed in a 'reasonable' amount of time. You wouldn't pick up a real hitchhiker without asking first where they were going......would you?

Our TB "Boomerang", has a mission to travel to Australia. Here is what is printed on her mission tag-

"Boomerang's mission is to travel to Australia, visiting all that is good and interesting to see on that grand continent. She would especially like to visit Uluru (Ayer's rock),the Sydney Opera House, and a Koala sanctuary. Please take pictures of her along the way."

Boomerang made it to Australia and got to visit 8 caches, and then her mission got side tracked. The last cachers to have her, grabbed her in January, and placed her in a TB motel. Two months later they picked her up again and took her on vacation with them. Over the next couple of months, they brought her back to America, then to Greece, before finally dropping her off in England. :ph34r:

We have really mixed feeling in regards to how this caching team treated our bug. On the one hand, they took a couple of cool pictures of her in Greece, which we enjoyed seeing. We also like to see people enjoying our bugs; it's part of the big picture of the game. On the other hand... we never got to see any pictures of her in Australia at all, and then, after all that time, they finally ignored her mission completely by dropping her in England!

We're well aware that with TBs, it's pretty much a crap shoot, but we would have preferred for our Tb to travel more in Australia, instead of being carried around for months in a bag and then dropped 1/2 way around the world from it's destination. :D Hopefully she'll make it back there someday.

Edited to add-

I just checked the cache page of where Boomerang was last placed. The last person to log noted that there were no TB's in the cache. :ph34r:

Edited by team moxiepup

As far as TB's go, I don't look them up before I visit a Cache. I want to spend time outside Caching not stuck inside researching every small detail. If a TB has a tag or some kind of note attached I'll look at it and consider it before I take it. If it doesn't then I'll take it anyway, I'll try to help it on its mission but if I can't help it then I can't help it!

I gave my tb a mission mainly so people would want to keep it moving. In reality, as long as it keeps moving, I don't care what direction in goes in. It's exciting for me to see where it gets to go along its journey. I'd much rather it be moving from cache to cache, even short distances, than sitting a long time in one cache just being discovered.

I was reading the post from the Tb owner who saw three (Discovered) entries and no one moved the Tb. I discovered a Tb last week, but it was in a travel bug hotel where the cache owner suggested not taking a bug if you didn't leave a bug. I didn't want to take the last remaining Tb from the hotel if I had no bugs to leave, so I left it there. Since it is a bug hotel, I hope someone will pick up the bug soon.

I guess one needs to consider both the Tb owner's goal and the cache owner's requests in deciding whether to pick up a bug or not.

I was reading the post from the Tb owner who saw three (Discovered) entries and no one moved the Tb. I discovered a Tb last week, but it was in a travel bug hotel where the cache owner suggested not taking a bug if you didn't leave a bug. I didn't want to take the last remaining Tb from the hotel if I had no bugs to leave, so I left it there. Since it is a bug hotel, I hope someone will pick up the bug soon.

I guess one needs to consider both the Tb owner's goal and the cache owner's requests in deciding whether to pick up a bug or not.

Whoa! just hold on there one second! B)

Travel bugs are purchased, travelers added, missions given, instructions sheets included, watched over and hoped for by the bug owner.

That cache owner has no business deciding how my travel bug should be handled. Travel bugs are meant to travel (duh), not held captive by some cache owner wanting to draw people to his cache.

For your reading pleasure, check out this bug. :angry:

Get Out of (TB) Jail Free

Travel Bugs and Geocoins are NOT trade items. Take and leave as you please.

If i saw a cache like that i would take the TB's so they could travel.

Whoa! just hold on there one second! :angry:

Travel bugs are purchased, travelers added, missions given, instructions sheets included, watched over and hoped for by the bug owner.

That cache owner has no business deciding how my travel bug should be handled. Travel bugs are meant to travel (duh), not held captive by some cache owner wanting to draw people to his cache.

For your reading pleasure, check out this bug. B)

OK, I am a Cache owner who is guilty of trying to assure TBs are present from the stand point that I thought the area needed a depo for TBs. I am going to delete the depo note from my cache.

I just talked to a Cache owner who has a "TB Hotel" and his complaint was that he couldn't get it emptied out; some bugs just sit with nobody willing to pick them up. I intend to help clear the building the next time I go out on a multiple cache hunt. (Some of my TBs have been sitting in that hotel for a while).

I think the "TB Hotel" or "Depo" is a good one, but it needs enough visitors to assure TBs are moved along their way. Cache owners who evoke this moniker need to be vigilant.

For me I would rather see my TB move in the wrong direction rather than sit in a "TB Hotel" or in someone’s bag while it waits to be placed.

I also know that I like to see a laminated goal statement on a TB. I am much more likely to move a TB that has one attached.

As far as the "Blue Duce"...... "End of the longest line!"

#24 Jeff Gordon! The greatest drive currently racing!

[B)]

Edited by klipsch49er

I'm glad to see you dropped the trade restrictions. I like to quote someone who is far better at giving TB advice than I am.

"If a travel bug hotel is in a good spot for the quick and easy exchange of travel bugs, then an empty hotel won't stay empty long. People are always looking for a convenient place to drop bugs off. The owner of a well-placed hotel should actually be pleased if the hotel is occasionally empty, since it shows that the hotel is serving its purpose: to get bugs moving quickly. And if a hotel does stay empty for long periods of time without the cache owner continually raiding other caches to re-stock it, then it's not a good place for a travel bug hotel." - The Hermit Crabs, Dec 2 2005

By the way my name is BlueDeuce and it ain't got to nothing to do with driving an auto-mobile.

Thank you and have a nice day.

I think this is OK, especially if the mission is not listed on the TB itself...I love to discover new TBs and then write a complimentary note to the owner, which they always appreciate!

If I know the mission and my taking the bug will totally go against it, then I will just "discover" the TB and log a note that way.

Happy Caching everyone!

tbtroopers

Whoa! just hold on there one second! :blink:

For your reading pleasure, check out this bug. :laughing:

Have to agree 100% .... Travel Bug Hotels can be nothing more than prisons.

Andrew

I also normally don't move anything without reading what the owner wants because there is quite a few owners in my homestate of Michigan that wants their bug to stay in Michigan so I learned quickly to check. However going from Greece to the Netherland is very odd but sometime I take bugs the opposite direction...say...a bug wants to go to London then I will take it west instead of east to Chicago...why....there is a better chance that it will actually go to London. Otherwise I try to place the bug closer to its goal...even if that is only five miles

Otherwise I try to place the bug closer to its goal...even if that is only five miles

Thank you! It's frustrating to get a log stating that they didn't take my bug because they weren't going to the destination anytime soon.

Even baby steps can make a difference.

... the latest development:

(when you think it couldn't get worse... :rolleyes: )

There was another TB which I brought to Crete - TBYXMZ "Knight of Malta No. 3".

It was in a zip-lock bag with a lot of papers clearly stating that the mission is to go from Malta, to Crete, to Rhodes, to Cyprus, and finally to Jerusalem.

Someone picked it up at Crete and despite all the instructions moved it to Germany stating:

"What a beatiful knight. He told us to bring him to Bavaria to start his next adventure."

I still think the owner of a trackable item has the right to give instructions and may expect that these instructions are followed.

In both cases, the cachers which neglected the instructions of the owner were no newbies!

Isebar

I still think the owner of a trackable item has the right to give instructions and may expect that these instructions are followed.

Now you know why they call this place The Forum of Unending Angst.

You can expect a lot of things from travel bugs, consider yourself lucky when it's met from time to time. Start expecting too much and it stops being fun. Trust me on that one. :rolleyes:

The only TB movement that kind of irks me is when people drop my coins/bugs into very difficult caches that get very little traffic. I really don't like seeing travellers trapped in some never-visited place.

What is wrong with that? Some of the best caches in the world are those caches in scenic or remote locations that may be more difficult to reach. However, the physical challenge of getting to this caches makes these finds far more rewarding than most easy urban caches.

People think that travel bugs are always traveling on the ground in a straight line. However, we live in a world where people travel by air all over the place. Let's say during late summer a highpointing geocacher from southern California climbs Maine's Katahdin (the highest point of Maine, in the sparsely populated northern part of the state) and after the climb finds a cache in rural Maine with a travel bug in it. The goal of the travel bug is to get to New York City. The cache is an easy find, located a few feet off a paved state highway near Baxter State Park.

This geocacher has to make a five-hour drive to the airport in Manchester, New Hampshire to catch his flight back home to Los Angeles and has no time to visit another cache. Therefore, he can either leave the travel bug in the cache or take it home with him, where he will drop the travel bug in a cache in the Los Angeles metropolitan area. Which action will improve the bug's chances of reaching its goal?

In my opinion, the bug has a better chance of reaching its goal if it is dropped in a cache in the Los Angeles metropolitan area than left in the rural Maine cache. Even though LA and NYC are on opposite sides of the continent, they are the two biggest cities in the USA, so the number of people who fly between LA and NYC on any given day is greater than the number of people who travel from rural Maine to NYC in a given day. Even if the next person who finds it in the LA area is not going to NYC, that person may soon be traveling to another large city that will provide the travel bug with easier access to reach NYC.

Even though this cache find is easy, there are few local residents in the area to pick up the travel bug, and if the cache has been in existence for a significant amount of time then all of the local geocachers have probably already found it. Maine does get many tourists from the New York City area during summer, but since the time is now late summer, the number of visitors will soon decline to almost nothing within a few weeks. Thus, the chances that a New York City-area visitor will pick up this travel bug before the onset of winter is lower than the chances that an LA-area geocacher will pick up the travel bug in an LA-area cache and bring it with him on a flight to the northeastern USA.

Ken Akerman (a.k.a. Highpointer)

Edited by Highpointer

The only TB movement that kind of irks me is when people drop my coins/bugs into very difficult caches that get very little traffic. I really don't like seeing travellers trapped in some never-visited place.

A few ways to look at this. Sure, they will move slower. But the people that go through all the effort to reach a cache that is rarely visited are usually more experienced and there is probably less chance of a muggling or maggot intervention in a cache like that. They are also more likely to get better logs and photos posted on the page.

If your TB is a smiley fiend, it's likely to gather a bunch of "found its" and be out of circulation a lot faster.

... the latest development:

(when you think it couldn't get worse... :) )

There was another TB which I brought to Crete - TBYXMZ "Knight of Malta No. 3".

It was in a zip-lock bag with a lot of papers clearly stating that the mission is to go from Malta, to Crete, to Rhodes, to Cyprus, and finally to Jerusalem.

Someone picked it up at Crete and despite all the instructions moved it to Germany stating:

"What a beatiful knight. He told us to bring him to Bavaria to start his next adventure."

In both cases, the cachers which neglected the instructions of the owner were no newbies!

Isebar

I think you are setting yourself up for disappointment if you make your instructions that specific.

A few ways to look at this. Sure, they will move slower. But the people that go through all the effort to reach a cache that is rarely visited are usually more experienced and there is probably less chance of a muggling or maggot intervention in a cache like that. They are also more likely to get better logs and photos posted on the page.
That is a good point. I agree with that. I prefer that the travel bugs that I own be placed in remote caches. Travel bugs placed in very easy caches often become lost because they are picked up by inexperienced or infrequent geocachers who don't log their finds online, don't know how to log travel bugs, or drop out of geocaching altogether. Easy-to-find geocaches often become lost due to muggle intervention, which results in the loss of all travel bugs in the cache at the time that it is muggled. Edited by Highpointer

Sometimes against the goal can actually be closer to the goal.

I just picked up a bug in New York that wants to head to Connecticut. It also wants to have it's picture taken near airplanes. I plan on taking it back to Kansas City with me.

Here is my reason.

1. It had sat in the cache I found it for over two months.

2. Kansas City is the home to the only flying Constellation. This was the mainstay of TWA for many years and a hugely important aircraft in aviation.

3. I travel extensively as do several of my friends and the odds of a bug being picked up in KC and moving to Connecticut is actually pretty high.

So at first glance I am being inconsiderate. But in reality I'm being a good host.

For me, some travel is better than no travel. Here in the Seattle area, I have seen many that want to go to Hawaii and Alaska. I have no immediate plans to go to either state, but who is to say that at the next cache I place the traveler, that the cacher who picks it up won't be heading just to that direction. I have watched several and have noticed that despite some of our best (or worst) intentions, if the traveler is traveling, then it should get closer to its goal. It just sucks when the traveler ends up missing or in a newbie's hands for the past six months. Oh well... that's another whole topic altogether.

We don't take a travel bug unless we know in advance what its mission is. And then we won't take it if we can't advance it on the mission.

Sometimes even a little bit of movement actually does help advance the bug's mission, even if you didn't realize it at the time. Here's a recent example:

We picked up a teddy bear TB called Zeryk on June 27th. Its goal is to get to the Czech Republic. It had been wandering around Massachusetts since it was launched in September of 2006. We have never been to the Czech republic; we have no plans to ever go to the Czech Republic; we don't know anyone who goes there even occasionally. But we picked it up anyway, and a few days later dropped it off at a local cache. We didn't move it very far; in fact, we actually moved it a short distance in the opposite direction from its goal.

Within just a couple of hours of our drop-off, it was picked up by another cacher (from Connecticut, in fact -- a state even farther away from the Czech Republic). Yet he just happened to have a friend who just happened to be going to the Czech Republic! End result: exactly 20 days and two cacher-transfers after our apparently non-mission-helpful move, the bug had made it to its destination. And we helped :D

Can you move a TB the wrong way? Yes.

Should you? Well probably not. Would you want your TB moved the wrong way? Different people will have different answers.

It depends what you mean by "the wrong way". If the bug's mission states something like "Please do not bring to events" or "please do not drop in TB hotels", then I don't think people should bring them to events or hotels.

But if the bug's goal is just to reach a particular geographical destination, then I don't think that it's wrong to move it in a way that is not in a straight line from start point to end point. Bugs often take a zig-zagging, meandering route to their final destination -- that's part of their charm.

Say you had a bug that wanted to get to Timbuktu. Which would be more interesting to you: (a) seeing the bug sit in the same cache for a long time, with cachers occasionally posting notes like "I'm not going anywhere near Timbuktu so I didn't take it," and "The bug is still here, gathering dust but at least not going in the 'wrong' direction," until finally after two years someone says "I'm going on a business trip to Timbuktu, and bringing the bug with me", or (b ) a bunch of random pick-ups and drop-offs, some short movements and some long ones, in random directions, with the occasional picture of the bug with cachers' kids and dogs and scenic spots, and eventually reaching Timbuktu three years after launch?

As long as it moves - any direction and anywhere I say. If your bug has a mission it makes sense to add a tag to that effect as many people only read the bug info when back home. In fact - a tag with an introduction would make a bug more interesting when seen for the first time and more likely to be picked up.

but what if the mission-tag is simply ignored????

I started the topic some months ago, because this is what happened to twa TB which I brought to Greece from Germany. And I was shocked to read that some experienced cachers took one of the TBs and simply stated that "... the TB told us to bring him to Bavaria", ignoring a letter-sized piece of information on the TB and its mission! :D

I want to take the opportunity to thank all fellow chacher for their answers and opinions. It took a while, but I learned that even the most detailed or simple instruction of an owner can be ignored.

Before I will send any Coins or TB on their way I will take that into consideration and make the tag e a s y ! :D

Thanks and Happy Caching :laughing:

I once had a Travelbug with a mission that stated "Please move me along, but please do not drop me into remote caches" -- So some guy takes the bug, and drops it into a cache that gets about 3 visits a year.

Thankfully it has been removed recently, and is back on the road.

But one word of advice: Never flame someone who is holding your travelbug - or you may never see it again.