Feautre req.: Marking TBs as 'MIA' in your OWN caches

bikermel76

Sorry if this has been suggested before, the forum seems to crash when I try to search it ;)

Seems to me lots of TBs/ GCs go missing, but are still listed on cache pages. It seems even by e-mailing the owner (which I assume people do, at least by the 10th time someone has noticed it's missing...) the bug doesn't get marked as 'location unknown'.

Would it not make sense to allow the owner of the cache to mark a TB/GC as 'missing'? Obviously the ability to do this would be strictly limited, as only the owner of the cache where the bug is supposedly residing would have the power to do this, and as it is the cache owner who automaitcally gets the alert e-mail when the cache is discovered (sans bug!) and not the bug owner (unless you physically go and contact them...) this is more likely to get acted upon!

I imagine it's pretty frustrating as a cache owner to keep getting log after log saying 'this bug is missing'...it would be far nicer to receive logs which comment on the cache itself not the missing bug!

Mel

My other cache's a Micro...

You are in luck, it is already a feature.

Access the bug listed in your cache and under Trackable Item Options you will see an option to 'Mark Item Missing', just click go.

Keep in mind that there should be careful confirmation the bug has gone missing and enough time has passed so that whoever did take the bug has had a chance to log it out.

Edited to add that when you mark a bug as missing the bug owner does not get email notification so please remember to post a note so they are made aware of your actions.

Edited by BlueDeuce

You are in luck, it is already a feature.

Access the bug listed in your cache and under Trackable Item Options you will see an option to 'Mark Item Missing', just click go.

Keep in mind that there should be careful confirmation the bug has gone missing and enough time has passed so that whoever did take the bug has had a chance to log it out.

Edited to add that when you mark a bug as missing the bug owner does not get email notification so please remember to post a note so they are made aware of your actions.

Nice one BlueDeuce! Obviously its not happened to me yet, but I get so frustrated when I read log after log saying 'this bug isnt here' :laughing: Maybe many more cache-owners are unaware of this feature too!!!

Mel

Maybe many more cache-owners are unaware of this feature too!!!

Mel

Possibly, but there are also those who seem to think once their cache is hidden and published, their job is done. I've seen several caches archived after multiple notices of problems from finders and a thirty day window from a reviewer before archiving, even when they are still 'active' (logging new finds and visiting the site regularly). I just don't understand this type of behavior