60CSx Compass Calibration

It seems that I have to do the Garmin Shuffle (recalibrate the compass) at least 2-3 times evert time I take it out for Caching. Im using Software Version 3.00 and GPS SW version 2.90. I havent read anything about any fixes for the Compass needing to be recalibrated. I did a search for tips on what I could do and wasnt able to locate anything. So, does anyone know of anything I could check in my settings that might fix this issue?

I also need to do the "shuffle" every time I get out of the car to hunt for the cache. If I do not, I only get frustrated by the wrong direction given, so my technique is to lock the car, do the shuffle always, and go caching. No big deal, if you go hunting there is also rituals you preform for that, same for shopping. ;)

I've never calibrated the compass on my 60CSx. I don't feel the need to use it. I simply walk in the direction of the cache and keep it's icon near the top of the map screen. You can soon see if you're off course.

I thought that was the only way to do it for several months, but I'm still happy with using that method.

To poster #1 and Poster #2.......

You have GOT TO BE KIDDING.......! Lay the unit on the ground or flat on your hand held out in front of you and.... TURN THE UNIT....NOT the "DORK"operator...

Ha Ha Ha Ha Ha!!! :anibad:

I was about to suggest the same thing, I know a cacher with a 60Csx and she just turns it in her hand. Says she gets a lot fewer strange looks that way. ;)

LOL, Seriously.....I dont walk around in circles. Its just a nickname I heard for having to calibrate all the time. So, the question still remains....is there any settings I can change to get this thing working better?

OK, let's get serious. Now that we have gotten past the "fun"..... leave the compass turned OFF.

Use the bearing pointer to point/guide you to the coordinate point you are "going to".

The compass does not know where the cache is and does not even care. It's trying to tell you which way is North and it can't even do a good job of doing that because you can't hold the unit both VERTICALLY (for the GPS to work best) and HORIZONTALLY ( the only position where the compass will work) AT THE SAME TIME.

Try this....turn the compass OFF. Set the unit to display NORTH UP , and set the Pointer to BEARING. Use GO TO and select the coordinates of the Cache. Now, on the "Compass" page (compass off) the pointer will be pointing you to the cache location. You can tell which direction you are moving on the map page by which direction the little black triangle is pointing (when you are moving, not standing still). Left is West, Right is East, North is up, etc.It's easiest to ignore the map page and just leave it on the "Compass"/Pointer page (compass OFF) and choose data fields like distance to next,etc

NOW, if you need to use the compass to project a waypoint for a multi cache.....while you are standing still, with the GPSr held flat, calibrate it and use it just like you would use a manual /magnetic compass.....then turn the Compass back OFF.

Try it, you'll like it!.......and your compass will work accurately too.

Look through the forum and find the many, many posts about compass errors, compass not working right, why did I get an "S" model ?, why doesn't Garmin "Fix" the compasses ?,etc Bottom line is....it's NOT THE COMPASSES.....

Remember ...only use Compass when held flat, and standing still ,and use GPSr held nearly vertically and only when moving (except when marking a waypoint).

Edited by Grasscatcher

What screen do I use to get to the "North Up" setting as well as the "Pointer to Bearing" setting. You mentioned using the GOTO to "select" the coords for the cache, If I use the find button on the unit to select the cache I want to find will the pointer point towards that selected cache?

All I want the pointer to do is point towards the cache so that Im not walking away from something I should be walking towards.

Thanks

North Up- Go to Map page>menu- toggle over to far left icon-orientation-North Up

Bearing pointer- Same page- second icon from left- bottom choice Go To Line- Bearing or Course choices-Choose Bearing

Use Find-select the cache-hit GoTo at bottom of page -Pointer will point the direction to the cache as soon as you start moving.

Note: Unless you have selected a cache or other location to Go To , the pointer will not be visible. (because it does not have a bearing to point to)

Do an experiment....save a waypoint at some familiar or easy location, maybe something goofy like a rock in the middle of an open field. Now walk off from it and do a Find> waypoint... select that wpt>Go To and page to the pointer page. Now start walking AWAY from the wpt, as soon as your unit detects your movement , the pointer will point behind you. Turn around and head toward the wpt and the pointer will point straight ahead of you. Note: it is detecting the direction of the GPSr MOVEMENT, Not whether you are holding the GPSr in front or to the side etc.

Intentionally walk PAST the wpt and watch what the needle does. It will suddenly point behind you.

Do that from several different directions and you will be surprised how close it will locate the point.

Keep the GPSr antenna clearly exposed to the sats.

The magnetic compass is very good, when looking for a cache. Provided you learn how it works, of course. Best (only) way to do that is to practice.

All those saying you shouldn't use the magnetic compass are just too ignorant or lazy or whatever it is to figure out the benefit of it. I use it all the time when geocaching, provided I have the eTrex Vista or the 60 CSx with me. If I'm unprepared, I may not have any of these, but then I also always realize how much better it is with the magnetic compass.

The magnetic compass is very good, when looking for a cache. Provided you learn how it works, of course. Best (only) way to do that is to practice.

All those saying you shouldn't use the magnetic compass are just too ignorant or lazy or whatever it is to figure out the benefit of it. I use it all the time when geocaching, provided I have the eTrex Vista or the 60 CSx with me. If I'm unprepared, I may not have any of these, but then I also always realize how much better it is with the magnetic compass.

Forgive me if I appear to be ignorant, but what is the benefit of knowing where north is? Surely all you want to know is which direction the cache is in? :D

Forgive me if I appear to be ignorant, but what is the benefit of knowing where north is? Surely all you want to know is which direction the cache is in? :D

Several times, I have arrived at a site where the direct line to the cache involves a half-mile bushwhack through the bramble. Or I can go north (or east, or whatever) a short distance to get to a trail that will get me within twenty yards. I find a compass make that easier.

Plus I use my GPS for hiking. Compass feature is a definite plus there.

Edited by imajeep

"All those saying you shouldn't use the magnetic compass are just too ignorant or lazy or whatever it is to figure out the benefit" The statement being made with absolutely no explanation as to "HOW" the compass is beneficial"\ or "better".

Can I respectfully disagree with that very unhelpful and unenlightened statement ?

If you are following the bearing pointer to a cache or ? and come to an obstacle, what will control your actions at that point is what you see on the map page or what you see physically on the ground in front of you.

On the map page you might see a nearby road or trail to take, or, on the ground, the way around the obstacle might be obvious. Whether that way is N,S,E W is of no importance. The bearing pointer continues to point directly toward the end destination, no matter how far you must get "off course" to get around the obstacle.

With "North Up", you can always tell your direction of movement by the direction of the location triangle on the map page.

To poster #1 and Poster #2.......

You have GOT TO BE KIDDING.......! Lay the unit on the ground or flat on your hand held out in front of you and.... TURN THE UNIT....NOT the "DORK"operator...

Oh, come on! Isn't it fun doing the Calibration Shuffle. I know it sure is fun to watch!