Flood zone

mamid

We're in a flood plain protected by dikes. There is currently 3 caches of mine that could be at risk if a dike blows, two are near dikes and the third is a few blocks away.

Now, should i retrieve them now just in case the water blows the dikes or should I just hope for the best?

I'll have to qualify my answer by pointing out that I am, at heart, a lazy so & so.

Are these caches in locations subject to seasonal flooding, or are the potential floods the result of unexpected meteorological events?

(repetition)

Are the caches ammo cans or film canisters?

(finances)

Are there any bugs or coins in the caches?

(sentiment)

After you address those questions, ask yourself; "Is it worth it?" I think it would be, since the simple act of placing a cache creates certain responsibilities. If I owned a film canister hide, or an ammo can full of TB's, I wouldn't want to see it become some other county's geolitter. Remember, we all live downstream from somebody. ;)

We have caches that regularly get flooded. A tethered, quality container is what you need. Tether is so it will float so there is less positive pressure pushing water in and it's less likely to leak. A sound ammo can with a good seal and always properly closed will last under water for a long time.

We have caches that regularly get flooded. A tethered, quality container is what you need. Tether is so it will float so there is less positive pressure pushing water in and it's less likely to leak. A sound ammo can with a good seal and always properly closed will last under water for a long time.

My Row Versus Wade cache can spend weeks or even months under water when the Navidad River is full. Good ol 50 cal. I would estimate it has gotten submerged at least 10 feet under floating on the end of it's tether judging by the flood debris line. It stays dry as a bone though. My Banjo Music akaWhy is Daddy Crying Terracache is closer to the flood line. It hardly gets wet but it has moved to the end of the tether.

My Row Versus Wade cache can spend weeks or even months under water when the Navidad River is full. Good ol 50 cal. I would estimate it has gotten submerged at least 10 feet under floating on the end of it's tether judging by the flood debris line. It stays dry as a bone though. My Banjo Music akaWhy is Daddy Crying Terracache is closer to the flood line. It hardly gets wet but it has moved to the end of the tether.

Can you believe it, I'm agreeing with Snoogans!!!!! ;):anibad:;) A good tether and container are the trick. I use 550 cord for my tethers and if the cache is in a flood prone area, a 7.62 or .50 cal ammo can. My final for "Treasure of the Black Pearl" is now under about 8 feet of water and that's factoring in a four foot tether. Unless the tree it's tethered to washes away, it should be good to go but only time will tell. :P:P:P

Edited by eagletrek

Well...

of my two caches that were "within" concern, one got archived and when I went to pull it - it was gone. Stolen. Whatever.

Considering the last log that I deleted that was a find the finder said some nasty things about how it was hid and that I shouldn't be caching.

But stealing a cache? That's poor sportsmanship at best.

I now have to check my other cache just in case it wasn't up to their standards of what a cache should be. If it too is gone, I will be notifying the authorities.

We're in a flood plain protected by dikes. There is currently 3 caches of mine that could be at risk if a dike blows, two are near dikes and the third is a few blocks away.

Now, should i retrieve them now just in case the water blows the dikes or should I just hope for the best?

You should be able to check your river flood gages online, see the predictions. These are reasonable accurate. If flooding is immanent. STay the heck away. If flooding is projected in to overtop the dykes in a week or few days, you could retreive then or tethern them as notied. All depending on the location.

http://www.weather.gov/ahps/

Here is an example.

We just set a record for rain. The river didn't quite double in depth but was already so low there was no flooding. Blue is actual stage. Green is predicted. Rivers can respond faster than predicted so be careful.

http://ahps2.wrh.noaa.gov/ahps2/hydrograph...iew=1,1,1,1,1,1

gc.com. I still have a copy of the abusive post that I deleted from the cache page in my email.

The other cache was fine. I pulled it cause I didn't like how close the river was to it. When the flood watch ends, I'll put it back out.

I have two caches in flood plain areas. One I had tethered to a tree with a chain (loose around the trunk). There other was placed in a gap of a stone culvert, but not tethered. We had our seasonal flooding, and the tethered one was held underneath 3 feet of rushing water, and survived dry as a bone (.50 cal ammo can). The other one? Still looking for it - somewhere downstream.